Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Mini-Laptop running Android 2.2?

Anyone here use a mini-laptop? I've seen some over at Amazon that use Andriod 2.2 as an OS and they look nice (good feedback) but I was wondering if anyone here had tried one as I am thinking of getting one just for doing my Word Processing projects and was wondering if anyone had any info. pro and con on the unit.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
That is interesting. I carry a little netbook on the aircraft for data input.

Is it also touch screen?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I have an Asus Transformer, it is a tablet that can be attached to a keyboard and used as a laptop. It actually run ICS.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
That is interesting. I carry a little netbook on the aircraft for data input.

Is it also touch screen?
It's my understanding that some are and some aren't. It sounds like a good deal, but was just wondering if it's easy to use something like that or not.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
...after doing a little reading and youtube-ing, I may have to snag one of these. Looks pretty dang cool, I think.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
...after doing a little reading and youtube-ing, I may have to snag one of these. Looks pretty dang cool, I think.
You certainly can't beat the price for one that's for sure. Assuming they work as well as advertized anyway. I'm hoping that it will run with my writing programs like YWriter or LSB. With the small size and the hard drive size it should be ideal for something like Word Processing I think. Not a gaming computer certainly but laptops don't work well for that kind of thing anyway usually.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You certainly can't beat the price for one that's for sure. Assuming they work as well as advertized anyway. I'm hoping that it will run with my writing programs like YWriter or LSB. With the small size and the hard drive size it should be ideal for something like Word Processing I think. Not a gaming computer certainly but laptops don't work well for that kind of thing anyway usually.
Oh, definitely.

When I saw your initial post, I was thinking "Oh one of these has to be a few hundred bucks..."

Then I saw some Ebay listing with a BIN for $75. THEN I started looking more into it. Something like this would be GREAT to run some of the Office suites, blogging on the go (if that's your kinda thing), and general browsing on the interwebs.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
It would need Adroid apps to run - not Windows programs - and I'm not sure if there is anything comparable to what you need. There are apps that are like Office with word and spreadsheet, but I'm not sure about specialized writing apps. At least that's what it seems like you're looking for.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Those programs are Windows/Linux based you will not be able to run them in Android.

My advice for tech is to never buy at the bottom of the barrel, nor to buy the latest.

As far as price, well that is relative to what you get. And for $100 I think the Mini-laptops are over priced. I think Samsung's student deal (Tab2 + BT Keyboard) is at $220 is a better deal for your money. Like K I went for the Asus Transformer prime and my wife totally satisfied handles almost everything she throws at it. I'd even recommend a Nexus 7 + BT keyboard over the mini laptop.

Let me add this what I've noticed is word processors on Android seem to be CPU intensive.... I don't know why. When I try to type on my nook/phone overclocked to 1.2GHz they still tend to struggle with large documents.

HOWEVER if price is the most important requirement then consider this, if you have a tad bit of hardware know how.
The article has purchased an Atrix docking station for about $50~$70 and an MK808 Android thumb drive $74. The tutorial also has the Mk808 running on Linux so you can get YWriter to work on this solution.

http://liliputing.com/2012/06/mk802-...a-lapdock.html
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
There are similar units with windows ce 6 and new ones with 7 that may or may not have pocket office on them.

I used Mobilepro units for several years, older wince versions with pocket office and they do quite will for basics. The 880 sold for over a grand but they were pretty cheap when I got one.

There is a newer version of the mobilepro that is a little better but only half the size. Look on ebay for the mobilepro 900

Hp had one as well as a couple other outfits.

I've been thinking of one of the wince 7 ones for playing with. I personally use netbooks for out of the house and love them, full office etc.

Forgot to mention, the 7 inch units I've used are very cramped on the keyboards. The older ones I mentioned had a keyboard similar to the 10 inch netbooks - comfy for touch typing.

Last edited by exscentric; 09-01-2012 at 11:38 AM.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
I have one of the older ones (300MHz ARM processor, 128MB RAM, 2GB flash) with WinCE 6 installed that I paid about $100 for. I had to return two before getting one that wasn't defective and then spent a couple of weekends getting Linux to boot from an SD Card. Unless that sounds like fun to you (I'm a hardware nerd and I love it, but I recognize that I'm a very small market segment), then you'd probably be better served by getting either a 7" Android tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard or an Intel-based netbook with Windows.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

It arrived today and though it will take a little time to get used to the keyboard its a nice little machine.