Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I used finereader a lot for school work. It's a great program if you need to have text from pictures/scans. But it does make a lot of mistakes. Maybe with English language it works better, less complicated characters.
I recently scanned an entire English novel (300+ pages) in PDF with FineReader 11. I was completely blown away with how few mistakes it made recognizing characters/words. Really quite exceptional.

I'm sure it's probably a lot different with languages that use a lot of diacritics, but I'd think even that would be something that could be overcome by creating/training your own recognition dictionary. The ability to easily train Finereader's recognition routines are invaluable, but probably largely under-utilized.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #17
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
I tried out this program. It seems better than mangle. Will have to check with the same pictures and compare. The file size got reduced by about four times. One of the color pictures did get ruined. Now I'm really hoping for some program which extracts frames. Even if it's messy, maybe not all frames just split the page at the best point or something.
Because now kindle is pretty close to being comfortable for reading comics. Just a little increase in size would do the trick.

Last edited by Noughty; 12-02-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceuse View Post

To aby finereader 11 : the thread guy said abby fine reader 11 does not work well at the moment because acording to thread guy finereader recocnises in version 11 difrent fonts and text passages wrong wich kills his regex operations
The thing is with Abbyy 11 there is no need for all the regexs because it seldom makes a mistake now. It's wonderful!

Calibre now has the option to remove font family styles. It even has a place to remove other CSS styles. I love this new feature. No more editing my Style sheets to remove font references, colors and margins.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Calibre now has the option to remove font family styles. It even has a place to remove other CSS styles. I love this new feature. No more editing my Style sheets to remove font references, colors and margins.
Now THAT is a thing of beauty!
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Now THAT is a thing of beauty!
Agreed! I haven't fully explore it yet but it something I wanted for a long time.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #21
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
At the moment the only way to remove headers/footers with calibre is by doing individual search and replace for every book? I'd so love the option to remove headers/footers automatically.
Maybe someone has a good template for this? Something easy to modify for all kinds of books with similar style? Like author/title on every page and page numbers. Now pdfs is the only format I have to use other programs to convert.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #22
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I, too, am a big fan of ABBYY Fine Reader. There is a selection to remove header and/or footer, and there is a bulk page trim feature.

As ABBYY scans your document, it selects image or text regions. Sometimes there is an error, but it is very easy to scroll through the pages and change the type of read area, then re-read just that area.

I like to save to html, make little repairs using Word (or make a hyperlinked table of contents, which is very easy to do in Word), then let Calibre to the conversion to mobi.

The last book I scanned, the only things to fix were line breaks and pictures that had text in them.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #23
chomskola
chomskola began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi Guys,

I am kinda at the pull my hair out stage with this. I have tried so many ways to get workable PDFS and failed. When I move a PDF into my documents and try to read it, it only goes to the first page with (1%) at the bottom and wont go any further.

So I tried emailing it to my amazon account with convert in the title. Same problem. I tried copying a pdf and pasting into a doc and then saving that as a hmtl and then converting that to a MOBI, same problem.

I even downloaded mobipocket creator and used it to convert docs to html and then convert the html to MOBI with calibre, but that just gives you the chapters not the content. I also tried simply converting in mobipocket to their PRC format or whatever you call it and placing that directly in my documents and still I get the 1% first page problem only...am I runnning out of options or am I missing something?
chomskola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #24
nodir
nodir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Dear Ceuse,

Can you also tell how to keep table structures.
I have a book that contains a lot of tables and figures, and when I convert pdf to html the structure is changed.

Thank you
nodir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #25
cosmicheretic
cosmicheretic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgiZ View Post
I did a lot of research some half a year or a bit more ago.

What i found is to convert PDF into HTML with Mobipocket Creator then convert HTML into MOBI with Calibre.

I have done this with many books and got good results with next to no work.

Hope it helps
Great advice! I tried this and it works fast and well. Only the .png images didn't transfer and it categorizes the output file as a doc not a book...any hints on how to fix this?
cosmicheretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
To fix books being displayed as Docs, you will need to edit the exth headers to change the cdetype from PDOC to EBOK. calibre can do that via the Quality Check plugin, as can Java MOBI Metadata Editor.

Replace the PNG image manually using an ebook editor such as calibre's editor or Sigil.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:40 AM   #27
mprh
mprh began at the beginning.

Device: samsung galaxy
I have been using Ebook converter for years. This app is easy, precise and quick.
mprh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:10 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprh View Post
I have been using Ebook converter for years. This app is easy, precise and quick.
For converting PDF into any other format, there is NO program that is precise. PDF just doesn't work that way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:26 AM   #29
mprh
mprh began at the beginning.

Device: samsung galaxy
Respectively,
I beg to differ, I've been using e book converter for years, and I use it for my Kindle 3rd fire. I have never incurred a problem.
mprh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #30
blackcatw81
Meow!
blackcatw81 began at the beginning.

Device: K4NTblk,HanlinV60 3G,Trekstor Pyrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprh View Post
Respectively,
I beg to differ, I've been using e book converter for years, and I use it for my Kindle 3rd fire. I have never incurred a problem.
The fire is a tablet not a ebook reader.
blackcatw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convert, kindle 4, pdf