Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
mrsziggs
mrsziggs began at the beginning.

Device: none
Author ads in ebooks

Apple requires absolutely no author ads promoting purchase of other items or directing you to a website to do so.

We want to use as little production time as possible doing this so we want to remove the ads across the board (Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Kobo, etc.). Those other distributors, however are not requiring that we remove the ads.

Our marketing department will most likely ask that they stay in the epub file being distributed to those companies, meaning a seperate epub file be sent to Apple. How do we convince them that this should be industry standard and the ads should just be removed across the board?

The only thing I can think of is conflict of interest because an ad may say the author's other books are available at amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com.
mrsziggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I guess I don't quite understand the definition of "author ad." Does the standard "Other Books by John Doe" page qualify as an ad? Surely Apple's not objecting to that industry standard (provided there's no links or other wording related to specific retailers)?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
mrsziggs
mrsziggs began at the beginning.

Device: none
They don't mind "Other books by John Doe" as long as there is no price or reference to purchasing them. Any decent ad for another book is going to use the word "purchase" or "buy" so they get nixed in lieu of sending it back to the Design department for redesign.

I just think there's no way around extra work in removing the ads for just the epub file being sent to Apple. I was hoping there was a way around it but they're outnumbered almost 7 to 1 by distributors that will accept the epub with the ads in it. Right now Apple is the exception to the rule I guess.
mrsziggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
But think positive side, at least books are artistic medium for them, unlike games... So controversial material can be included...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsziggs View Post
They don't mind "Other books by John Doe" as long as there is no price or reference to purchasing them. Any decent ad for another book is going to use the word "purchase" or "buy" so they get nixed in lieu of sending it back to the Design department for redesign.
Sounds kinda like the old "Other books by..." that used to appear in old pulp sci-fi novels.

So what's wrong with just having an old-style un-hyperlinked list of "other books by" instead of providing links to a bookstore? They found your book in that store, so couldn't they find others of yours in the same one?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I'd also ask if your hyperlinked ads are pushing a specific store? If so I could see both Apple and/or Amazon having problems with the links.

I've got plenty of ebooks with a list of other books by author at the beginning or end of the book. Seems more than enough for me if I'm interested.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Well, gee, if Apple does it, it must be right. If the author wants the ads, I don't think Apple or anyone else should interfere.

Me? I don't mind ads at the end of the book. I started reading a book a few days ago on my Kindle and the first 14% of the book was reviews for other books. I tossed the book and won't buy another written by the same author.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well, gee, if Apple does it, it must be right. If the author wants the ads, I don't think Apple or anyone else should interfere.

Me? I don't mind ads at the end of the book. I started reading a book a few days ago on my Kindle and the first 14% of the book was reviews for other books. I tossed the book and won't buy another written by the same author.
An intersting combinations of statements. Bitch about Apple and then say you won't buy another book by the author who puts ads where you don't like them.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I don't see why you would need to use links to purchase from the adverts, if they figured out how to buy the book they see the advert in they can figure out where to get the others from.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
If the ebook was purchased there should absolutely be ZERO ads in the ebook, period. If you are giving away the ebooks then some ads may be acceptable.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is about time for publishers to learn: 'i-won't' (do it)

Magazines/Newspapers have had ads for years. Even ads for other Magazines.

I hear Radio ads for TV Shows on the (parent) Competitors Network

Paperbacks carried ads for titles NOT stocked at my local bookstore.

A hyperlink causes no problem on my portable... It has no WiFi or 3 G

This is not just a walled garden, it is a Police state
Say NO
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
In the words of the enlightened 20th century philosopher Robert Seger: "Turn the paaaaaaaaaaaay-juh."

Seriously, though... just turn the page. Whatever was on it won't be visible anymore.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
If the ebook was purchased there should absolutely be ZERO ads in the ebook, period. If you are giving away the ebooks then some ads may be acceptable.
Virtually all paper books contain an "other books by the author..." type list at the front of the book. That's certainly a form of advertising. Do you object to it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #14
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I guess I don't quite understand the definition of "author ad." Does the standard "Other Books by John Doe" page qualify as an ad? Surely Apple's not objecting to that industry standard (provided there's no links or other wording related to specific retailers)?
What apple objects to is links to a place you can buy the advertised books so as to avoid using in-app purchases of which Apple gets a cut. Amazon fell foul of this rule when they supported redirecting to the Amazon website from within the kindle app to buy new books.

Whether it's restricted to just actual links or also includes "more books available at Amazon" I'm not sure, but the app store/ibook store guidelines will likely clarify that.

I'd be surprised if Apple is asking for "Also available from this Author Book 2 the unamed book, Book 3 thanks for all the fish." to be removed. I've only read the guidelines for apps and not books though, it might be different for those?
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Apple requires absolutely no author ads promoting purchase of other items or directing you to a website to do so.
If you have Hyperlinks in your ebooks that is the no-no. Just remove the link, and use authorwebpage.com with no link. Apple does not want any one click links that take people using Apple hardware away from the Apple store to a different store where Apple will not get its cut of a purchase.

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is conflict of interest because an ad may say the author's other books are available at amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com.
Just say this book and all the authors other books may be purchased at this store and many other fine stores.

bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is about time for publishers to learn: 'i-won't' (do it)

Magazines/Newspapers have had ads for years. Even ads for other Magazines.

I hear Radio ads for TV Shows on the (parent) Competitors Network

Paperbacks carried ads for titles NOT stocked at my local bookstore.

A hyperlink causes no problem on my portable... It has no WiFi or 3 G

This is not just a walled garden, it is a Police state
Say NO
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote