Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #121
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Does anyone know if the Paperwhite will play Audible books or MP3 books? I like listening to books when I travel and do not want multiple devices for literature.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #122
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Does anyone know if the Paperwhite will play Audible books or MP3 books? I like listening to books when I travel and do not want multiple devices for literature.
The Paperwhite has no audio funtionality.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #123
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
On the issue of reduced storage: keep in mind that amazon allows you to store your personal documents and books in the cloud just like your amazon purchased books.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #124
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
giggle....was able to go and name my new paperwhite already.

I planned to name it Galadriel. But at the moment it's Galadriel the Paperwaite.

I love the play on paperwhite.
I named mine "Thoth: Lord of Divine Words" (Egyptian god of knowledge and inventor of writing)
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #125
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I definitely like the basic paperwhite kindle, however I do not think that I can rationalize a second kindle since my three is working fine. That kindle has out lived any of my previous pre-kindle readers, two aluratek libra pros and a pandigital novel. The Pandigital Novel lasted approximatly a month and was stolen each of hte libra pros lasted for approximatly three months before the screen broke.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #126
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
On the issue of reduced storage: keep in mind that amazon allows you to store your personal documents and books in the cloud just like your amazon purchased books.
I use this to store my non-Amazon ebooks all the time and it syncs between my Kindle and my iPad, just like the Amazon ebooks.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #127
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Don't really see myself considering a new eInk device until my current one fails. The only new feature that mine doesn't have that is catching my eye is a built in light but I've resisted that pretty easily so far.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #128
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Pre-ordered the Kindle Fire HD in 16GB. Thought about going bigger, but didn't think the outrageous tax was worth it. I have so many cloud services anyway. Going to get the Paperwhite later on for my travels next year.
I think you are in north Texas too. We got screwed over by the state of Texas earlier this summer when they bullied Amazon into charging taxes. I understand if Amazon has a retail center located within Texas that they should charge tax, but not if they simply have warehouse distribution centers. Personally I suspect that Gov. Perry was just POed that Amazon wasn't padding his crooked pockets! I just ordered the Kindle Paperwhite and for the first time ever I had to pay tax on a Kindle. I hate Texas, even though my ancestral roots have been here since the early 1800s.

BTW, some items are listed sold by Such-and-Such-company, delivered by Amazon. Sometimes you can find a company that doesn't have o collect tax in Texas, then you get the Prime shipping and good deal without tax, plus you get to screw the state!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #129
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Are they charging Tax now? Someone else mentioned it.
Only certain states, unfortunately Texas is one that forces Amazon to collect tax.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #130
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
$1.99 per part, at least on the initial batch.
Yeah but I do not see books like George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire being that cheap.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #131
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I caved and decided to get the $139 PW and the 32gb 7" Fire.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #132
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I hope those make it to Canada. The non-ad supported ones, I'd happily buy one of those.
You should be able to order it. The K4 is available internationally. It's the Paperwhite that is currently U.S. only.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #133
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I definitely like the basic paperwhite kindle, however I do not think that I can rationalize a second kindle since my three is working fine. That kindle has out lived any of my previous pre-kindle readers, two aluratek libra pros and a pandigital novel. The Pandigital Novel lasted approximatly a month and was stolen each of hte libra pros lasted for approximatly three months before the screen broke.
I know what you mean, I justify my upgrade by selling my current kindle to a family member for a reduced price. So far, have not run out of family members who want one.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #134
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
I named mine "Thoth: Lord of Divine Words" (Egyptian god of knowledge and inventor of writing)
Oooo I like that. Maybe I'll change mine to Galadriel of Paperwaite.

My Fire is Dragos, my K3s are Legolas and Aragorn.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #135
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You should be able to order it. The K4 is available internationally. It's the Paperwhite that is currently U.S. only.
I bought my current K4 locally at Staples, so when the occasion arises, I'll look in there to check it out. Failing that, I may order directly. I've only had my Kindle a month, so am not in a hurry, but it's nice to know I have options should I need to buy again.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote