Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
steffi
Enthusiast
steffi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Can Amazon convert PDF to AZW with all features?

So, does Amazon thru it's .15c or free kindle do PDF to AZW conversion such that font sizing, annotations etc work?

I'm guessing this just isn't possible right?
steffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
What it does is convert from a structured PDF to a reflowable MOBI, which usually works just like a standard MOBI This can work ok for "simple" PDFs, but sometimes does not work well at all. PDFs with images generally do worse than text PDFs. Some PDFs get converted to a set of images (scans of the pages) in a MOBI container. These can be annotated at the page level but the font can't be resized (since the content is images).

If you have a KDX I don't think the e-mail route is available to you (the PDF is passed through "as is"). However, if you have a Windows PC, Windows MobiPocket Reader imports PDF and exports MOBI (in My Documents\My eBooks). Amazon is thought to use a very similar program for its PDF to AZW (MOBI) conversion, although Amazon may be using an enhanced version of the program.

Last edited by wallcraft; 06-23-2009 at 07:35 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert