Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
darkmonk
Connoisseur
darkmonk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Two questions

Hey guys, I got into ebooks a while ago, and have just discovered the wonderful software that is Calibre. I'd like to add my collection, which is sorted in folders with the author's name. The files are named as "author - series # - title" i.e., "Cornelia Funke - Ink 2 - Inkspell.pdf"

However, not all files have a series, and I am not particularly adept at coding, so I am unsure what I should put as the regular expression for metadata guessing.

If anyone could suggest a line, or a way to take the series only when there are more then one dash, please tell me.

I also have one more question. On the user manual, (which is very nice, and easy to use, BTW) the menu bar is shown as having little arrows next to the icons, which give multiple ways of doing the action. It's the first photo on this page: http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/user_manual/gui.html
On my installation, though, there are no arrows, and that's problematic, as I need to add books recursively. If anyone has experienced this before, or if there is another way of doing it, please share.

Thanks,
Darkmonk
darkmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What OS are you using to run Calibre?

I definitely get those small arrows on Windows
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
darkmonk
Connoisseur

I am using XP SP3, and am pretty sure it is updated.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Odd, are you sure you're not getting the aroows, they'll look a little different from the picture in the manual as that was taken in linux
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
darkmonk
Connoisseur

I'm sure they're not there - I'm uploading a photo of it, give me a minute.
Advert
Old 01-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow now that's a truly amazing issue. Try running

Code:
calibre-debug -g
in a terminal and post any output you see.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
darkmonk
Connoisseur

At the moment, the output appears to be nothing.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>calibre-debug -g

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

Alternatively, when calibre is closed, the result is

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>calibre-debug -g
link hasn't been detected!
link hasn't been detected!

And calibre starts, slower then normal.

Last edited by darkmonk; 01-17-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This may be because your system font lacks the glyph to display the arrow. Try moving you mouse close to the right edge of the buttons and clicking.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmonk View Post
You're screen print looks like Vista yet the above you report XP? I'm confused.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that is XP Home, not Vista
Old 01-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This may be because your system font lacks the glyph to display the arrow. Try moving you mouse close to the right edge of the buttons and clicking.
Could well be.

I find that if you move the mouse in from the right, at the point where the arrow becomes available the whole button gets highlighted. Clicking at that point should give the drop down menu. The other guidance is that it always to the right of the text under the buttons as it is a thin bar that is the full height of the button plus its text, and the arrow glyph would normally be half-way up the bar.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I think that is XP Home, not Vista
I thought XP home has the "Start" button in the task bar. That has the start "Orb" which came out with Vista. Unless there is an update XP Home theme that looks like Vista.

That screen print also has the Aero glass... see how the desktop shows through the Title bar. That is definitely a Vista screen shot.

BOb
Old 01-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard

You could well be right!

I switch around betseen so many different versions of Windows that I am easily confused. Just put Windows 7 into a VM to add another one to the mix. Looks a lot better than Vista and certainyl seems to run leaner.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
darkmonk
Connoisseur

*sigh* Well, I now know what was causing calibre to not display the arrows. My computer doesn't look like windows XP, or even Vista; no, if you'd have ever seen windows 7, you'd have seen it. I have a theme installed, through windowblinds, which is a themeing program, far beyond the capabilities of windows. I have a theme of windows 7. The program themes applications as well, and that was interfering, somehow.

I disable the themeing of calibre, and now the arrows show.

I'm kinda surprised that it was the theme interfering, though, as I have had problems with nothing before.

Anyway, thanks for finally making me realize what the problem was.

But I had another question, and could some kindhearted soul answer it for me please?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm kinda surprised that it was the theme interfering, though, as I have had problems with nothing before.
I'm not surprised at all. Calibre is cross platform so it uses a UI tool that is not really native on any platform... so it probably relies on pretty generic APIs and themes to be in place. Glad this discussion was able to point you to the way.

Quote:
But I had another question, and could some kindhearted soul answer it for me please?
Well, you would have to ask it first.

BOb