Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
HACKING CONCLUSIONS AND GUIDE

Hello there,

I am reading and reading and got quite lost with all the movement around the Universal Flasher, the clock hack and all this.

Can someone put it all in order (say what they do), add the attachments and explain it so us mere readers can apply them successfully?

Check this thread for an automated way to do all this below, courtesy of Jeff Elkins
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27177

Check this thread for another great utility to move/erase files to and from the SD and the Reader, courtesy of llasram
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21636

Thanx

Last edited by Peto; 08-01-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #2
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Well the first step is to get the new firmware upgrade which can be found from Sony's Reader support site. The next step is to download the Universal Flasher 2.0 from here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...5&d=1216947954

You'll want to unzip this to a (preferably blank) SD card. The key step here is that you don't have a folder called Universal Flasher. The contents of THAT folder need to be the top directory of the card, as in, from the moment you open the card the readme.tx should be available. The readme tells you what to do from here, but I can recap that for you too:

"Usage

1) Extract the zip onto a flash card, keeping the directory structure. It's
best to use a card with not many files on it so that Reader can scan it quickly.
N.B. readme.txt should be in the root of the card, not in any subdirectory!
2) Insert the card in Reader.
3) Wait until the "Run Script" screen appears.
4) Press 5. Wait for the success message (the process will take about one to
two minutes).
5) Press 6. Wait for the success message.
6) Press 9 to reboot.
7) Extract the card.

* Using the clock display

To set the correct time on PRS-500, you need to connect it to
the PC and run the eBook Library software after each reset.
It should also be possible with libprs500 or Calibre.
For PRS-505, you can set the time in Settings or connect to PC with
the eBook Library software running.

To set up 12/24 hour format or turn off the clock, use the Settings-About
screen and the button 0 (check the status bar)."

Now if you want the enter key to shutdown and the unified font throughout you'll have to make some of the more complex manual edits those previous threads were discussing. The custom icons have yet to be integrated into the latest incarnation of this hack, unfortunately, but I'm sure it is only a matter of time.

Good luck! Let us know if you need more help.

-Jake
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Peto
Legal Alien

Thanks Jake!

Regretfully that is the part I had grasped. It is all the little fixes and the base font changing I didn't get (even after reading the reame in the Universal Flasher)

Your guide comes handy here, though
Old 07-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
stgben
Enthusiast
stgben began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewastaken View Post
Now if you want the enter key to shutdown and the unified font throughout you'll have to make some of the more complex manual edits those previous threads were discussing. The custom icons have yet to be integrated into the latest incarnation of this hack, unfortunately, but I'm sure it is only a matter of time.

Good luck! Let us know if you need more help.

-Jake
Would you mind posting links to these manual edits? I've been trying to find a method that does not include "Russifying" my menu or fonts, but get unified font support and the custom icons.
stgben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Expand (or expand & copy) the Universal Flasher kit to an SD card as above, then choose from the list...
  • Unified fonts - replace the main.xml in files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\ resources\scripts\ on the SD card with the attached one.
  • New icons - place the attached kBookIcon.png alongside the main.xml in the folder above on the SD.
  • One-key shutdown - replace the applicationStart.xml in files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\ resources\ on the SD card with the attached one.

Then proceed as in the standard instructions, i.e. build the image & flash it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kBookIcon.png
Views:	646
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	14753  
Attached Files
File Type: xml main.xml (51.0 KB, 663 views)
File Type: xml applicationStart.xml (4.0 KB, 482 views)

Last edited by gwynevans; 07-29-2008 at 03:20 PM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
Peto
Legal Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Expand (or expand & copy) the Universal Flasher kit to an SD card as above, then choose from the list...
  • Unified fonts - replace the main.xml in files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\ resources\scripts\ on the SD card with the attached one.
  • New icons - place the attached kBookIcon.png alongside the main.xml in the folder above on the SD.
  • One-key shutdown - replace the applicationStart.xml in files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\ resources\ on the SD card with the attached one.

Woha!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unified Fonts

What are the unified fonts? Is this the same as the smaller font in the menu?
jwhayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Peto
Legal Alien

All titles same size.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
stgben
Enthusiast

Quote:

Thank you very much, exactly what I was looking for!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #10
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for this guide, I'm going to try it. I was missing all those "hack" features.

After browsing this XML code:
<boolean key="0x27-hold" do="doDeviceShutdown"/>
I wonder if you could change the One-key-shutdown key to be used while holding the Slider (the one used to go to sleep mode).
Would it be possible to have: <boolean key="kSleep-hold" do="doDeviceShutdown"/>
(I think it makes more sense to have complete-shutdown and go-to-sleep features on the same key/slider.)

Another question. Is it possible to make the bottom black bar thinner? Or maybe turning it off?

Thanks again!
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, using the slider is a bad idea. Because it would actually use more battery that way and you'd have no way to put it into sleep mode other then waiting an hour without use for it to go to sleep.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
jakewastaken
Media Whore.
jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jakewastaken has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

Hells yeah. I had mine all hacked out already but I was missing the new icons. Thanks!
jakewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:58 PM   #13
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, using the slider is a bad idea. Because it would actually use more battery that way and you'd have no way to put it into sleep mode other then waiting an hour without use for it to go to sleep.
Why? Is there no difference between activating the slider and holding the slider?
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #14
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Device: Kindle Voyage
Got it to work

I first had to reload the Sony firmware then the reflash worked. I have the new icons, the standard menu, and the time display now.

Has anyone solved the time 'truncation' problem in AM/PM mode?
jwhayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #15
stgben
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhayn View Post
I first had to reload the Sony firmware then the reflash worked. I have the new icons, the standard menu, and the time display now.

Has anyone solved the time 'truncation' problem in AM/PM mode?
I've made two quick edits to main.xml which truncates "am" to "a" and "pm" to "p." Unfortunately I'm not home to test it, but this should be the only change you need to make. Put the main.xml file in
Code:
files.505.1.1.00.18040\opt\sony\ebook\application\ resources\scripts\
Good luck.

EDIT: I've been able to verify that it does in fact work. Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: xml main.xml (51.0 KB, 425 views)

Last edited by stgben; 07-29-2008 at 10:58 PM.