Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your choices for the August Book Club book?
The Dispossessed by Ursula K Le Guin 16 47.06%
Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie 8 23.53%
The City at Worlds End by Edmond Hamilton 9 26.47%
The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner 7 20.59%
Halting State by Charles Stross 2 5.88%
The Martian by Andy Weir 8 23.53%
Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor 5 14.71%
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke 10 29.41%
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline 7 20.59%
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells 12 35.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2014, 06:22 AM   #46
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Everyone who voted for Le Guin should be ashamed and embarrassed.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #47
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
The Dispossessed it is.

I have updated the selections list thread with this and will add the discussion thread to that when it gets created.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The Dispossessed it is.

I have updated the selections list thread with this and will add the discussion thread to that when it gets created.
And what a crappy choice it is too. Sorry, but it's all fluffy words and a waste of time to bother reading. Would have been better off with any of the others except the Rama one (that is also awful). The worst one won.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #49
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
And what a crappy choice it is too. Sorry, but it's all fluffy words and a waste of time to bother reading. Would have been better off with any of the others except the Rama one (that is also awful). The worst one won.
A rousing endorsement! You've made me excited to read it. Thanks!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
A rousing endorsement! You've made me excited to read it. Thanks!
If the book gets you excite, I'd have to see how excited you get for a good book.
Advert
Old 07-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #51
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I really liked Rama when I read it last year after it was nominated for this category. No, it doesn't have a lot of fast-paced action, but not every book needs to have that.

This isn't the first time a book that has been bashed, and thus publicized, has won in part because of that bashing when people who had previously been on the fence payed more attention to it. (Raises hand!)
Old 07-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
At least Wispersync is available for an extra $13 in addition to the regular ebook price. Not my first choice, but plodding through a 400 page tome is easier with the ears than it is with the eyes. And who knows? As a wit said of Wagner's music, it might be better than it sounds.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #53
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Jon, have you read The Dispossessed?

I haven't read LeGuin in a while, but I don't recall her being as bad as you describe.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #54
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

I haven't read LeGuin in a while, but I don't recall her being as bad as you describe.
Well, I have, and I expect the discussion to end up on the P & R restrictions Mach Schnell.

<shrug> It's in the subcategory of science fiction called 'Utopia fiction". Either you like it or you don't...

Is there a starting time for the discussion?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #55
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Well, I have, and I expect the discussion to end up on the P & R restrictions Mach Schnell.

<shrug> It's in the subcategory of science fiction called 'Utopia fiction". Either you like it or you don't...

Is there a starting time for the discussion?
August 20 (see first post).
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

No, I've not read The Dispossessed. But I have read enough of her work to not want to read any more. I don't like the way she writes.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #57
Dazrin
Wizard

Argh! I just realized that my library only has Adobe EPUB and Adobe PDF formats of this book. I guess I will need to find a different source. I wish I had remembered to check that but it is fairly uncommon anymore for them not to be available in Kindle format.

On the plus side, it is now available for anyone in the Oregon Digital Library Consortium who can use one of those formats.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've seen a number of eBooks from Overdrive only in ePub. It's not as uncommon as you think.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #59
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
No, I've not read The Dispossessed. But I have read enough of her work to not want to read any more. I don't like the way she writes.
Hi, I'd like to know some of your favorite titles.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #60
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
My comments are "in the can" awaiting the 20th...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote