Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
phunnylinguist
Enthusiast
phunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Some book icons have 'Personal' label. Why?

I'm referring to the small book thumbnail icons in cover view on a Paperwhite 2. Some are mobi, the others are azw. All had been previously clean, non-DRM epubs converted with Calibre.

I've forgotten the precise workflow used in their conversion but am curious as to what might be my options to remove those bottom band labels and what steps should be taken in the future to avoid them.
phunnylinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I believe the metadata has to be changed from PDOC to EBOK.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The Kindle has the concept of cdetypes, which is a metadata field describing the type of document. Examples are periodicals, ebooks, personal documents, etc.

EBOK == ebook
PDOC == personal document

Personal documents are automatically given the "Personal" banner by the Kindle firmware. By default calibre sends books as PDOCs, but there is an option in the Output preferences for MOBI/AZW3.

Set the Personal Documents tag to "EBOK" in MOBI Output, and make sure the option "Enable sharing of book content" is unchecked. That *should* do the trick.

This FAQ entry is pretty much the same thing but in reverse:
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....droid-ipad-etc

Mote that you will need to select ALL books, enter Bulk Edit Metadata (shortcut key is "E") and check "Remove stored conversion settings for the selected books" or else the previous settings take precedence.

Alternatively, you can install [GUI Plugin] Quality Check, and use the twin options:

Check Mobi ==> Check missing EBOK cdetype
(selects all books that would be affected by this problem)
Fix ==> Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire
(inserts an ASIN which forces the Kindle to see the book as an EBOK)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
phunnylinguist
Enthusiast
phunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of itphunnylinguist has read War And Peace ... all of it

I seem to recall reading here somewhere of a user questioning where their representative (as opposed to generic) book covers went to, where the suggestion was made to leave *checked* the "Enable sharing of book content" box in a conversion. It may be my failing memory but since I'd been experiencing a similar issue I tried the suggestion and viola!---the more graphic icons reappeared.

What I'd neglected to state in my original post was how I'd populated the books into the Paperwhite: by drag-and-drop or via Calibre, which I suspect may have made a difference.

Not to muddle this any further but having others respond that azw (and not mobi) is a more preferred conversion output, what steps might I be more aware of in a Calibre conversion to azw should I be vigilant of regarding your recent suggestion to Set the Personal Documents tag to "EBOK" in MOBI Output with the option "Enable sharing of book content" as unchecked?

Grazie for your prompt and pertinent reply, Eschwartz!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AZW3, not AZW.

AZW is a renamed MOBI.
AZW3 is a successor format.

AZW3 is preferred because it supports more features, but older devices don't support it, and the Keyboard needs the last firmware update to read it.

Don't worry though -- MOBI Output preferences will cover AZW3 as well.

As regards missing covers:
if a book is an EBOK, (well, if it has an ASIN really,) the Kinde thinks it comes from Amazon servers and tries to pull the cover thumbnail from there.
If it is a PDOC, Amazon extracts a cover thumbnail fom the book file.
Whoops, what happens for books with rigged ASINs? No cover is on Amazon, but the Kindle firmware is too stupid to extract a cover from the ebook file.

calibre is designed to work around these problems. When sending a book from calibre to a Kindle, if the book has an ASIN a cover thumbnail will be generated by calibre and added to the folder
Code:
[userstore]/system/thumbnails/
(userstore is user-visible storage a/k/a Kindle Drive)

If you use drag-and-drop, calibre doesn't know and cannot do anything about it.

Moral of the story -- let calibre do the work, that is what it is good for.

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-09-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Advert
Old 12-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
phunnylinguist
Enthusiast

First I must confess to not having used any of the html or CSS features of Calibre. As a result, my conversion workflow while working with Calibre has been to download metadata while in edit metadata mode. This has enabled me (and other users I'm sure) to choose from a source of covers.

Has this practice been in error or counterproductive?
Old 12-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

It won't affect anything, except that MOBI does not have the ability to update embedded covers (one of the things AZW3 fixed), which is a different bugbear altogether.
Because calibre will still copy over the right (updated) thumbnail, even if it is wrong (old version) in the book.