Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
Question Wait Time after Ejecting reader: How long is too long?

Hi!

If this has been addressed on a previous thread, my sincere apologies!

I have around 1300 books sideloaded onto my Kobo Touch (firmware .12, I think). When I eject and disconnect my reader - from the black screen that says you're connected to your computer and please eject before disconnecting - after either adding more books or just checking what's on there, it's taking about 5 minutes to go back to the "Home" screen or the "Processing..." screen. Is this normal?

Today I copied my ebooks over to my HD to take a printout listing of all the files so I don't add duplicates, and after 5 minutes on that black "connected to your computer, eject before disconnecting" screen I got antsy and slid the power button. After 3 times of it going to the "sleep screen/book cover" it went to the home screen.

My husband has about 100 sideloaded books on his Kobo (I put them there) and his goes to the processing screen or Home screen in under a minute (he's running firmware .10).

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by VirgoGirl; 02-09-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added more relevant information
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Edited to give more precise information.
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
It seems that the Kobo scans the internal memory and the inserted SD card for books and rebuilds the entire database every time you disconnect it from the computer or insert a memory card. Probably the scanning causes no change in the "black screen", the database building shows as "processing". The more the books the more the scanning and processing time - put your SD card into your husband's reader: i'm pretty sure it will process as slow as yours. So I think as long as you want to keep all your books in the reader you have to be patient, but frankly I cant see the point doing that. I put only those 10-15 books on mine which I'm planning to read in the near future. I treat it as a reader not a mobile library.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
VirgoGirl

Thanks for the reply!

I thought it was something like that, but I wasn't sure. I'm thinking of adding new books by taking out the SD card, adding the books and reinserting the card in the reader. That might bypass the long lag time between ejecting the device and the Home/Processing.. screens.

I keep my elibrary on the card as a safeguard - I lost my complete elibrary in a external HD failure this past December, the only ones I had left were the ones on the SD card. Luckily I could replace what I lost, but it's taught me to back up my library on different media: CD, SD card and new external HD.

Thank you again for your help, I really do appreciate it!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Thanks for the reply!

I thought it was something like that, but I wasn't sure. I'm thinking of adding new books by taking out the SD card, adding the books and reinserting the card in the reader. That might bypass the long lag time between ejecting the device and the Home/Processing.. screens.

I keep my elibrary on the card as a safeguard - I lost my complete elibrary in a external HD failure this past December, the only ones I had left were the ones on the SD card. Luckily I could replace what I lost, but it's taught me to back up my library on different media: CD, SD card and new external HD.

Thank you again for your help, I really do appreciate it!
I've found that removing the SD card when adding new books does help in the KT returning more quickly to the Home screen. It is also true that the KT scans the SD card for changes and if it finds something it will take a bit longer to return from the "Processing" screen. I would recommend if you add/remove books from both simultaneously to remove the SD card the next time you power up to allow it to update on the changes to the KT, then power off, insert the SD card and power on again for it to handle the changes to the SD contents. Dividing it that way will be less mind wracking in my experience. Large SD cards with many changes WILL take a while. I've had my KT in "Processing" for over 20 minutes when I inserted my SD card with over 1000 new books on it. Just let it go and come back in 30 min. (^_^)
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I'm puzzled because I have about 520 books in my Touch and the processing time is only 20 or 30 seconds. Hmm, you state firmware .12. That sounds pretty old and it might've been a lot slower back then.

That said there's an irritating bug in the current firmware so ...
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
You ARE pressing the 'Home' button after unplugging, right?
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
You ARE pressing the 'Home' button after unplugging, right?
Pressing the 'Home' button is not required for the KT to enter processing and return to the Home screen. At least not normally.. I've never had to do it myself.. I guess I have a lot of patience.. LOL I have to admit though that sometimes it takes a minute or so before my KT enters 'Processing' by itself.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
VirgoGirl

Let me go step by step as to what's happening, maybe I've used the wrong words to describe what's going on. Xennex1170's first reply seems to address my issue, but they second one doesn't.

So this is what happens.
1) Connect my KT to my laptop, click the "connect" option.
2) Either add books to the SD through the KT or just check what's on the card.
3) use the "eject hardware" icon in Win 7.
4) Count to 10 and disconnect the usb cable.

This is where it sits on the black "connected, please eject before disconnecting" screen for what appears to be over 5 minutes now.

After those 5 minutes, it either goes back to the Home screen (if all I've done is browse the SD card) or it goes to the "Processing.." screen. If it goes to the "Processing..." screen, it only takes about less than 2 minutes to process the new stuff.

My concern is the lag between ejecting the KT and it moving to the next screen. If it's the KT scanning th card, then yes it makes sense that it would take a while to see if there are any changes. if it's not, then I'm not sure what it's doing- stopping for a coffee?

I've noticed that if I "delete" a book from my library that's on the SD, it will remove it from my library listing for that session. When I power up the KT again, that book gets "Processed" back into the library. That's fine, I don't want it deleting things from the SD card. So I'm thinking that if I remove the SD card form the KT, add the books directly to the SD card through a card reader, put it back into the KT and power it back on, it'll avoid that 5+ minute lag time between ejecting and processing. Hopefully it should go right into "Processing".

I don't add books directly into the KT memory, I don't trust that I will not lose them again. The firmware, while I found it had a Reading Life bug, is working as it should so I wasn't bothering to update again. Too many weird bugs have popped up for other users, at least mine is working and reading the SD Card.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 02-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
VirgoGirl

UPDATE: I added 114 new books to the SD card today, by removing it and inserting in into my laptop, adding the files, removing it and reinstalling into the KT. I powered it up, it went to the home screen, realized there were files and went to the processing screen. Took 90 seconds to complete the processing, no problems.

I will DEFINITELY do it this way now instead of connecting the KT to the laptop.