Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #181
nosnoop
Enthusiast
nosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear 100 View Post
I am not an expert in this area, but my experience tells me we are in the thousands of hours with this if they made the right choices.
Thousands of hours??? Only if they make the LED so dim that it is practically useless.

AAA battery is rated at around 800 to 1200 mAh; i.e. should last 4 to 5 times that of the coin CR 2032 batteries. Sony's cover uses 3 LEDs and the AAA batteries would last 19 hours. So Gecko cover uses 1 instead of 3 LEDs, and its batteries last 1/4 to 1/5 of that of AAA, my estimate is that it should probably last 11 to 15 hours.
nosnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #182
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Thousands of hours??? Only if they make the LED so dim that it is practically useless.

AAA battery is rated at around 800 to 1200 mAh; i.e. should last 4 to 5 times that of the coin CR 2032 batteries. Sony's cover uses 3 LEDs and the AAA batteries would last 19 hours. So Gecko cover uses 1 instead of 3 LEDs, and its batteries last 1/4 to 1/5 of that of AAA, my estimate is that it should probably last 11 to 15 hours.
Yes, your estimation is the same order of magnitude as mine, and there's no way the CR2032 can sustain a bright enough LED for thousands of hours !
Just checked jameco.com and all their lower power white LEDs are in the 20...30mA range, lowering the current only result in VERY dim light.
Only indicator LED (for control panels) require less than 20mA power, and they are REALLY dim. Most efficient brightness/power ratio LEDs are in the 1W...10W range, and these would empty the CR2032 in less than 1 hour !

Another possible advantage of using AAA battery instead of CR2032: you can try to use rechargeable NiMh instead of alkaline (if the 1.2V instead of 1.5V is sufficient, have to check for that).

[Bear 100] Sorry, but LED aren't magic, they need SOME power to produce any reasonable amount of light. And lithium batteries like the CR2032 are among the most toxic waste...

Last edited by seabee; 12-16-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: typo
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #183
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
There are some pretty good pics of the Sony lighted cover in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=lighted+cover

I'm currently using one on my reader. I don't really like it very much. It's okay for reading around the apartment, but I'm not confident that it provides sufficient protection on the go. I'm especially hesitant to toss it into my backpack while traveling. There is no mechanism to keep the cover closed when not in use--no magnets, no leather flap with a snap, nothing. After reading for a while with the front cover bent back, when I close it and set it down, the cover flops open until it gets used to not being bent backwards. The materials feel plasticky and cheap.

I do prefer how the reader snaps into the case instead of using elastic straps like a lot of third-party covers use. The light also seems well done, although I haven't really used it yet. I've seen in another thread where someone reported an issue with the paint flaking off where the arm bends, so that's potentially a problem.

I think my ideal case might be something like the Luxe, but with a light side-mounted inside the case like the official Sony cover does. The Luxe with light as it's currently being offered looks like almost exactly what I want, but the bump on the back really bugs me. The Luxe without light looks pretty good too, except I wish it used internal magnets for keeping it closed, rather than a flap with a snap sticking out of the thing. I'm also keeping an eye on the Tuff-Luv hemp covers that are about to come out. Tuff-Luv also offers a clip-on light, and I might go with that.
Thx. for the link. The case actually does not look that bad. I would think there should be some way to fashion some sort of mechanism (even if it is just a small piece of velcro) to keep it closed. I very rarely fold the cover back on itself, so I am not too concerned with that.

The gecko cover would be ideal, but I am just not sure about the way the light stores away.

Think I will give the Sony case a go. Have a $10 coupon from Sony anyways.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #184
trekker99
Enthusiast
trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
Yes, your estimation is the same order of magnitude as mine, and there's no way the CR2032 can sustain a bright enough LED for thousands of hours !
Just check jameco.com and all their lower power white LEDs are in the 20...30mA range, lowering tht current only result in VERY dim light.
Only indicator LED (for control panels) require less than 20mA power, and they are REALLY dim. Most efficient brightness/power ratio LEDs are in the 1W...10W range, and these would empty the CR2032 in less than 1 hour !

Another possible advantage of using AAA battery instead of CR2032: you can try to use rechargeable NiMh instead of alkaline (if the 1.2V instead of 1.5V is sufficient, have to check for that).

[Bear 100] Sorry, but LED aren't magic, they need SOME power to produce any reasonable amount of light. And lithium batteries like the CR2032 are among the most toxic waste...
I guess Geckocovers was going for size when they chose the CR2032. If the lifetime for the CR2032 is going to be that short, I would prefer one AAA instead (assuming rechargables work). Having said that, I probably still get the Luxe, but will need to think whether I should get a separate booklight, especially when the light on the Lighted Luxe is on the back of the case when stowed.
trekker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #185
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It is because of the light being stowed on the back that I got the Sony light cover instead. It means that when the cover is folded back, it's not flat. Not does the reader lay flat when put down.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #186
Sega
Enthusiast
Sega began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is because of the light being stowed on the back that I got the Sony light cover instead. It means that when the cover is folded back, it's not flat. Not does the reader lay flat when put down.
I'm torn because of this. I really like the Luxe with light for having stylus holder but I also prefer flat back. I think I like to hold my book folded to its back so Luxe light isn't going to be good.

Screw it. I just won't take notes with T1. Just read... I tried to tap on words to look up in dictionary and finger touch was pretty accurate too.

Hmmmm if I forget about stylus now that is one less item to worry about when I'm on the road.
Sega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #187
trekker99
Enthusiast
trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sega View Post
I'm torn because of this. I really like the Luxe with light for having stylus holder but I also prefer flat back. I think I like to hold my book folded to its back so Luxe light isn't going to be good.

Screw it. I just won't take notes with T1. Just read... I tried to tap on words to look up in dictionary and finger touch was pretty accurate too.

Hmmmm if I forget about stylus now that is one less item to worry about when I'm on the road.
I know what you mean.... Tuff-Luv's case is coming out soon, so I will wait for pictures of that case. It is not cheap though, and shipping might make it really expensive. Any idea how much Tuff-Luv charges for shipping out of UK? I can't find it on their website.
trekker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #188
Sega
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker99 View Post
I know what you mean.... Tuff-Luv's case is coming out soon, so I will wait for pictures of that case. It is not cheap though, and shipping might make it really expensive. Any idea how much Tuff-Luv charges for shipping out of UK? I can't find it on their website.
Yes. I was going to wait for that too... but I don't think they are going for the light integrated version just by reading the product description.

When they reveal the picture in 6 days and if it has the light and other features I like, Sony store will just have to accept my return
Old 12-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #189
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Thx. for the link. The case actually does not look that bad. I would think there should be some way to fashion some sort of mechanism (even if it is just a small piece of velcro) to keep it closed. I very rarely fold the cover back on itself, so I am not too concerned with that.

The gecko cover would be ideal, but I am just not sure about the way the light stores away.

Think I will give the Sony case a go. Have a $10 coupon from Sony anyways.
It's not a terrible case by any means, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who are more satisfied with it than I am. My dissatisfaction boils down to the belief that, for the amount of money I paid for it, it should provide more protection. The Tuff-Luv cover (with no light, though) on my PRS-350 is great for this--I have no reservations about tossing it into a backpack while traveling, and I feel its chances of surviving an accidental drop are quite good. The official Sony cover? Not so much. But for casual every day use I'm okay with it...I'm just keeping an eye out for something a little more rugged.

But heck, if you can get it for $10 off and the cover seems like it'll suit your needs, I say try it out
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #190
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker99 View Post
The Tuff-Luv "Embrace" cases are already available for the T1:

http://tuff-luv.com/e-readers/sony-r...-t1-cases.html

They appear to make their cases available on Amazon as well as through their website:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...x=tuff-luv+prs

Although they're not quite available yet, I'm thinking of getting one of their hemp book-style cases. I'm assuming it'll look pretty similar to this one:

http://tuff-luv.com/natural-hemp-cas...cha-brown.html

As far as I can tell, Tuff-Luv isn't planning on offering a bundle that includes their little clip-on light, but it's available for purchase separately:

http://tuff-luv.com/clip-on-led-read...ght-black.html
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #191
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
But heck, if you can get it for $10 off and the cover seems like it'll suit your needs, I say try it out
Yep. Just ordered one. Will see how it goes.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #192
Sega
Enthusiast

Quote:
The Tuff-Luv "Embrace" cases are already available for the T1:

http://tuff-luv.com/e-readers/sony-r...-t1-cases.html

They appear to make their cases available on Amazon as well as through their website:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...x=tuff-luv+prs

Although they're not quite available yet, I'm thinking of getting one of their hemp book-style cases. I'm assuming it'll look pretty similar to this one:

http://tuff-luv.com/natural-hemp-cas...cha-brown.html

As far as I can tell, Tuff-Luv isn't planning on offering a bundle that includes their little clip-on light, but it's available for purchase separately:

http://tuff-luv.com/clip-on-led-read...ght-black.html
Those are some nice covers. Classic look and appears to be really tough! It's too bad I don't want to carry a light as an additional accessory with me though.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #193
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Tuff-Luv covers with the straps, don't bother with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #194
aldazo
Enthusiast
aldazo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Kindle touch cover

Hi,
I ordered a cheap kindle touch cover from Hong Kong for my Sony PRS-T1. I think it will fit because both have almost the same dimensions: (172 x 120 x 10.1 mm) for the kindle touch, and (173 x 110 x 8.9 mm) for the Sony PRS-T1. Do you think there will be a problem? I ordered a kindle touch cover and not a Sony PRS-T1 cover because the covers for the Sony model are too much expensive and there are not much choices.
aldazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:55 AM   #195
Domas
Enthusiast
Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Domas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Sony PRS-505, Elonex (EB600E), Cool-er (EB600EM), Hanvon N516
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldazo View Post
Hi,
I ordered a cheap kindle touch cover from Hong Kong for my Sony PRS-T1. I think it will fit because both have almost the same dimensions: (172 x 120 x 10.1 mm) for the kindle touch, and (173 x 110 x 8.9 mm) for the Sony PRS-T1. Do you think there will be a problem? I ordered a kindle touch cover and not a Sony PRS-T1 cover because the covers for the Sony model are too much expensive and there are not much choices.
It will fit. However, the corners might not be well protected. Due to size difference top corners (if they are held by common rubber straps) might be just out of the cover.
Domas is offline   Reply With Quote