Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #226
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Thanks for the great find yifanlu. Both my kindle 3 and kindle dx is registered to my account so i will redownload the active contents for my kindle 3 and remove the drm. I haven't removed the drm of any of my amazon purchases before but i think that's the only solution to use the content which i paid for.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #227
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
Thanks for the great find yifanlu. Both my kindle 3 and kindle dx is registered to my account so i will redownload the active contents for my kindle 3 and remove the drm. I haven't removed the drm of any of my amazon purchases before but i think that's the only solution to use the content which i paid for.
Unfortunately, I don't think how to remove drm from active content is public knowledge.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #228
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Geez, i thought so. Anyways here is an interesting find.

Both the kindle 3 and the kindle dx are registered to my account.

When i choose to download a book to the pc and transfer via USB (from Amazon's manage your kindle page), i am asked to which device i want to download for. The options are my kindle 3 and my kindle dx of course.

But when i try the same for the active content, i am only given the choice for my kindle 3. There isn't an option for downloading active content to my PC for my kindle DX. What is happening?

EDIT:

I checked my DX's archived items and the active contents i bought aren't there. Yes it is true i can't use the active content i paid for.

EDIT 2:

I found the reason. When i go to the page of one of the active content i bought, i saw this message:

Some of your kindles do not have Kindle Software Version 2.5 which is required for this title. To have this software automatically installed, turn on wireless for these devices.

some of your kindles part showed the name of my kindle DXG when clicked.

This totally explains the reason of active content problem i guess. software 3.1 or 3.2.1 for Kindle DXG isn't known by Amazon and registered as below 2.5.

EDIT 3:

Is there anyway to spoof 2.5.8 for amazon? What i mean is there must be a variable for version info which amazon looks for. Is it possible to change it?

Last edited by reprep; 06-09-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #229
linshi
Enthusiast
linshi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:

When i choose to download a book to the pc and transfer via USB (from Amazon's manage your kindle page), i am asked to which device i want to download for. The options are my kindle 3 and my kindle dx of course.

But when i try the same for the active content, i am only given the choice for my kindle 3. There isn't an option for downloading active content to my PC for my kindle DX. What is happening?

EDIT:

I checked my DX's archived items and the active contents i bought aren't there. Yes it is true i can't use the active content i paid for.

EDIT 2:

I found the reason. When i go to the page of one of the active content i bought, i saw this message:

Some of your kindles do not have Kindle Software Version 2.5 which is required for this title. To have this software automatically installed, turn on wireless for these devices.

This totally explains the reason of active content problem i guess. software 3.1 or 3.2.1 for Kindle DXG isn't known by Amazon and registered as below 2.5.

EDIT 3:

Is there anyway to spoof 2.5.8 for amazon? What i mean is there must be a variable for version info which amazon looks for. Is it possible to change it?
I donot know how to modify the firmware version, but I remember some one has post a thread on modifying the SN.
add an empty file to kindle's root with the name ENABLE_DIAGS
restart kindle and you will enter diagnostic mode, where you can modify your kindle's SN
I think through this we can change our kindle dxg to kindle 3. But I do not try, so I donot know what it would be....
linshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #230
reprep
Addict

i don't want to change my serial number at least unless i can find another way.
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #231
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Quote:

EDIT:

EDIT 2:

EDIT 3:

I'm guessing you weren't on 2.5.8 before upgrading to 3.1. Try restoring the backup, upgrading to 2.5.8, and then upgrading to 3.1 again.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #232
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
It works very nice on the DX

The only question I have is if page numbers are given to new books. If I redownload them would it add them

Not a big thing but it is pretty nice to go exactly there.

Keep up the good work
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #233
reprep
Addict

@yifanlu:

I am pretty sure i was on 2.5.8 before upgrading and it was registered to my account. I will do what you say and sync when i am on 2.5.8 just to be sure.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #234
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
It works very nice on the DX

The only question I have is if page numbers are given to new books. If I redownload them would it add them

Not a big thing but it is pretty nice to go exactly there.

Keep up the good work
Normally on a Kindle 3 with 3.1 all you have to do is choose "Sync and Check for Items" from the Main Menu and any of your books that have recently gained page numbers will be updated.

Re-downloading a book would have the same effect.

I'd assume that the software works exactly the same when installed on an older Kindle.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:14 AM   #235
reprep
Addict

well i tried to revert back to 2.5.8 by update_restore-os.bin and i got stuck in update loop. The update bar completes, the screen flashes and it just restarts again. it is like that for over an hour now.

Tried the usual reset stuff (hold down the switch for 15 seconds) but it just restarts the bar.

Anything i can do?

EDIT:

I succeded to go to the recovery screen and able to do a full reset (wiping out the whole FAT partition) and able to get to 2.5.8 back. I forgot to uninstall the launchpad hack before downgrading i suspect this caused the problem.

After going back to 2.5.8, my kindle was still registered to my account and this time i was able to send active content from kindle management page of amazon and they worked well as expected. And they showed up in my archive folder. I took backups of active content files (.azw2 files) to my laptop for future experiments.

I then upgraded to 3.2.1 again and this time my kindle was deregistered. The active content wasn't available at the home screen. After registering, they were still showing up in archive folder though. I then tried to redownload a few but even after i get download completed message in the home screen i couldn't get them. When i checked the fat partion of the kindle, they were just there but they weren't showing up. I replaced a few of them with the backups on my laptop but still no luck.

After another set of deregistering and reregistering, the active content disappeared from archive folder too.

I was at the exact same position before downgrading but at least now i know a few more things.

1) Even if we can spoof our kindle version to 2.5.8 and amazon sends the active content files to the kindle dx, they won't work

2) The only solution is to change the SN to a valid kindle 3 as mentioned before by yifanlu. I guess ads enabled or not will not matter.

And i still don't have the page numbers, it is only working for kindle DX with 3.1 i guess

Last edited by reprep; 06-11-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #236
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
I have 3.2.1 on a dx..I get page numbers on some books. I'm not sure what the triggering element is that enables it. I just downloaded a sample and it didn't give them so maybe it's up to the publisher..
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #237
freezer2k
Enthusiast
freezer2k doesn't litterfreezer2k doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 intl.
Hi,

Note sure if this has been discussed here, but I'm encountering a very odd issue.

I upgraded from 2.5.8 to 3.1. In order to do so, I had to delete most of my books to have enough freespace on the kindle2. Now i just uploaded them again using calibre (all .mobi files). If I browser through the items and select one to read, read some pages, then press the home botton, it doesn't appear at the top of the list. I ordered it by most recent first, not using collections yet.

Its also not found at the place where it was initially (with all the books of the author). It can be found by the Search function however.

Am I using it wrong or is this a bug?

// Edit

OK, the books are showing after the last item that is still marked as 'new'.

Is there a quick way to unmark all books?

Last edited by freezer2k; 06-12-2011 at 09:22 AM.
freezer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #238
swetly
swetly began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX gray
Hi yifanlu,

Congrats for your job.

Guys I was wondering something - since it is proved that 3.1 works on DX shouldn't we make kind of petition or facebook group or something similar which to anounce our wish/request 3.1 to be released for Kindle 2 and DX?
My suggestion would be they to release an official beta version and if the probelm is with the testing we to be there to test it for them!

What do you think? Especially you yifanlu since you will be in the spotlight.

Thanks,
Svetoslav
swetly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #239
phili
Zealot
phili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by swetly View Post
Hi yifanlu,

Congrats for your job.

Guys I was wondering something - since it is proved that 3.1 works on DX shouldn't we make kind of petition or facebook group or something similar which to anounce our wish/request 3.1 to be released for Kindle 2 and DX?
I bet, Amazon will be very impressed, if you create a facebook group
phili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #240
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
I like it!
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote