Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Exclamation Calibre hangs when adding a book file

I just updated Calibre to yesterday's version (0.8.59), and now I cannot add or update books. When I try, the GUI hangs and I get this in the console:

Code:
(process:32339): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_main_context_pop_thread_default: assertion `g_queue_peek_head (stack) == context' failed
My system is Kubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot), and the previous version worked fine. In fact, I've just reverted to 0.8.58 and it works.

Am I the only one experiencing this problem? No, I'm not (bug #1022019).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
azteech
azteech began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy II (SPH-D710)
Angry Experiencing same issue

I am experiencing the same exact issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I just updated Calibre to yesterday's version (0.8.59), and now I cannot add or update books. When I try, the GUI hangs and I get this in the console:

Code:
(process:32339): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_main_context_pop_thread_default: assertion `g_queue_peek_head (stack) == context' failed
My system is Kubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot), and the previous version worked fine. In fact, I've just reverted to 0.8.58 and it works.

azteech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteech View Post
I am experiencing the same exact issue
did you read the bug report (and the Duplicate listed)?
The listed duplicate had a fix to Linux
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
azteech

Problem

theducks,

yes read the report, and the suspected duplicate report. Problem is, my system does not have the "bearer" file installed in the qt4 plugins lib. Therefore that isn't the issue. What I see being the issue, per the debug report I ran is with GLib if I am reading the report correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
did you read the bug report (and the Duplicate listed)?
The listed duplicate had a fix to Linux
Old 07-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
azteech

Not an Ideal Solution, But still a solution option

Okay, to get around what is definitely a dependency situation I have fallen back to 0.8.58. Now I am able to run Calibre and add new books.

Seems the issue is with dependencies - there is at lease one lib that 0.8.59 requires and that is podofo - the only version that is available in Ubuntu Universe is the one for Ubuntu 11.10. Not available for 10.04 users. There are probably other dependencies that are not available that are creating the GLIBC_Critical error that is occurring.

So, my solution (at least until I decide to move to a newer version of Ubuntu, or another distro), was to fall back to Calibre 0.8.58 which can be found on the sourceforge site, as stated in the Calibre download directory.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteech View Post
Seems the issue is with dependencies - there is at lease one lib that 0.8.59 requires and that is podofo - the only version that is available in Ubuntu Universe is the one for Ubuntu 11.10. Not available for 10.04 users. There are probably other dependencies that are not available that are creating the GLIBC_Critical error that is occurring.
Hmm? Not completely true. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, calibre 0.8.59. Adding books works just fine for me. Just added 16 ebooks with no failures.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
azteech

Don't know then

If that's the case, then don't know what would be causing the issue. All I know is that I and at least one other are getting the Glibc_critical error, and the posted solution doesn't work, or not a viable option since the file they say to move to /tmp is missing (at least on my system). Leaving it for the dev's to sort it out as they have all the debug info they have requested thus far. 0.8.58 works for moment. will let them sort out the issue wih 0.8.59 and try again next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Hmm? Not completely true. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, calibre 0.8.59. Adding books works just fine for me. Just added 16 ebooks with no failures.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:49 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found the bearer plugin in my system, but moving it did not fix the issue. I don't think this bug is the same as the one marked as duplicate.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
duncombe
duncombe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
same problem

I am having the same problem, calibre hangs when trying to add a book.
Error message is g_main_context_pop_thread_default: assertion `g_queue_peek_head (stack) == context' failed. I get this same error message when closing the calibre window without trying to add a book, so I'm not sure the error message has anything to do with the failure to add a book.
Using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, with all packages up to date, calibre 0.8.59.
duncombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
mrnatas21
mrnatas21 began at the beginning.

installing libpodofo-dev worked for me on 11.10
mrnatas21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Not for me. I'm looking forward to the next release this Friday, to see if it works.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
azteech

Have you checked the list of dependencies?

Jellby,

Knowing you are on a newer version of Ubuntu (Your on KUbuntu 11.x (fully QT based), while I am on Ubuntu 10.04 (gnome based, but I have installed some QT-based apps), as a thought (and not that you haven't already done so), but have you gone through the list of dependencies, shown at the bottom of the download page, to see if there may be any dependency which may be missing, or not the listed version or =>higher?

One other thought is to try disabling all plugins, then re-enable them one at a time to see if that helps you.

I have done both options (found dependency issues, but no problems noted due to plugins, unless they too have built-in dependencies, which I am sure they may) but still had the same problem, so staying at 0.8.58 for now.

Quote:
Not for me. I'm looking forward to the next release this Friday, to see if it works.

Last edited by azteech; 07-09-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

No, I haven't done further checking. I'll wait for 0.8.60 and try, if it doesn't work then I'll investigate more.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
ErikaGC
ErikaGC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

Code:

How did you go back to the previous version? I am having problems too and maybe going back to the other version will help.
ErikaGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #15
duncombe
duncombe began at the beginning.

@ErikaGC: The instructions to go back to a previous version are about halfway down the calibre download page where it says:
``If you wish to revert to an earlier calibre release, ...''.
(At least for Linux, don't know about other OSes)
duncombe is offline   Reply With Quote