Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Mookiemon
Carol
Mookiemon began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
italic and bold ok in sigil but not on Kobo reader

I'm working on my first epub conversion (I've done a few mobis before). I converted my prc file to epub using Calibre and then opened that epub with Sigil. I've been fine tuning the book and it looks pretty good now but I'm having problems with italic and bold words. I don't have embedded fonts. I've tried using CSS - I have italic as a style in my stylesheet and I tried applying that using <span class="italic">word</span>. I've tried directly coding <i>word</i> and <em>word</em>. All of these attempts showed italic correctly when viewed in Sigil's book view, and also when viewed with ADE. However, as soon as I move the epub over to my Kobo touch to test it there, the italics are lost. Bold is exactly the same situation and I'm sure will have the same solution. I looked at other (purchased) books on my Kobo and they have italic and bold words. (I know HTML well but CSS, not so much. Calibre has thrown in a lot of it's own classes which I find a bit confusing - the input file was really pared down.) I've run out of ideas. Thanks to anyone who might have some suggestions!
Mookiemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookiemon View Post
I'm working on my first epub conversion (I've done a few mobis before). I converted my prc file to epub using Calibre and then opened that epub with Sigil. I've been fine tuning the book and it looks pretty good now but I'm having problems with italic and bold words. I don't have embedded fonts. I've tried using CSS - I have italic as a style in my stylesheet and I tried applying that using <span class="italic">word</span>. I've tried directly coding <i>word</i> and <em>word</em>. All of these attempts showed italic correctly when viewed in Sigil's book view, and also when viewed with ADE. However, as soon as I move the epub over to my Kobo touch to test it there, the italics are lost. Bold is exactly the same situation and I'm sure will have the same solution. I looked at other (purchased) books on my Kobo and they have italic and bold words. (I know HTML well but CSS, not so much. Calibre has thrown in a lot of it's own classes which I find a bit confusing - the input file was really pared down.) I've run out of ideas. Thanks to anyone who might have some suggestions!
Can you copy and paste the the entire .italic { ...} section of your stylesheet , between code tags (# on the tool bar).

It only takes one tiny typo on some readers
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Mookiemon
Carol

It's pretty simple. (Too simple?)

Code:
.italic {
    font-style: italic
    }
Old 06-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Mookiemon
Carol

Unhappy

Update! In re-reading my post, it struck me that italics and bold are fine on purchased books but not on my test book which is side-loaded. I googled "kobo sideload italic" and found (on Mobileread forums of course!) that this is a bug of the lasted Kobo firmware update! So, I've spent my entire day puzzling over a non-existent problem. How to test my epubs then? Just to confirm, is it considered acceptable to use <em>tags for an italicized word in the middle of the text?
Old 07-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
One thing I just noticed, it may just have been a typo on your part posting it here, but shouldn't the code actually be:

Code:
.italic {
    font-style: italic;
    }
I.E. you were missing the ending semi-colon. It might be worth a check to see if that was the problem, rather than a Kobo bug. I'm sort of a newbie to all this CSS stuff, but things go weird fast on me if I forget one of those semi-colons!

Edit: Oh, I use very simple code in my epubs and I have been just fine using <em></em> for italicized words. Works in ADE, works on Nook, works on Sony.

Last edited by graycyn; 07-01-2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: added additional sentence
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:09 AM   #6
shall1028
Nameless Being

As you have not posted the epub file for us to have a look at (a very common occurrence with these sorts of questions) I am going to have to attempt to divine the solution blind.

I believe I know what is wrong! Go into your kitchen and unplug your toaster or blender or both if you have both. There is obviously radio frequency interference with those appliances.

On the other hand you could get rid of all those <span class="italic">some text</span> entries and replace them with <i>some text</i> or <em>some text</em> if you like. Then check your CSS and remove font-style: italic; from the I or EM definitions.

SPAN and DIV have their uses but why use them to replace I or EM (or B or STRONG for that matter)? Of course, Calibre not using <p> for bog standard paragraphs is silly too.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Mookiemon
Carol

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
One thing I just noticed, it may just have been a typo on your part posting it here, but shouldn't the code actually be:

Code:
.italic {
    }
I.E. you were missing the ending semi-colon. It might be worth a check to see if that was the problem, rather than a Kobo bug. I'm sort of a newbie to all this CSS stuff, but things go weird fast on me if I forget one of those semi-colons!

Edit: Oh, I use very simple code in my epubs and I have been just fine using <em></em> for italicized words. Works in ADE, works on Nook, works on Sony.
I'm pretty sure the final semi-colon doesn't matter - they are just needed to separate attributes. That said, I'll try it and see if it makes a difference! Thanks.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Mookiemon
Carol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shall1028 View Post
As you have not posted the epub file for us to have a look at (a very common occurrence with these sorts of questions) I am going to have to attempt to divine the solution blind.

I believe I know what is wrong! Go into your kitchen and unplug your toaster or blender or both if you have both. There is obviously radio frequency interference with those appliances.

On the other hand you could get rid of all those <span class="italic">some text</span> entries and replace them with <i>some text</i> or <em>some text</em> if you like. Then check your CSS and remove font-style: italic; from the I or EM definitions.

SPAN and DIV have their uses but why use them to replace I or EM (or B or STRONG for that matter)? Of course, Calibre not using <p> for bog standard paragraphs is silly too.
I really don't feel like I can upload the whole epub file as it is a copyrighted book written by someone else. I unplugged the toaster and blender as you suggested and that seems to have helped.

I had already tried using simply <em>some text</em> and <i>some text</i> to no avail. I agree that simple is best for ebooks. As ereading devices are offering more and more control to the individual reader (the new Kobo firmware now allows the reader to select from several fonts or install their own fonts, set line spacing and margins) I think in most cases we should not be embedding fonts or specifying margin widths or line spacing. Only in relative ways as for headings or required white space. When I did books for Kindle, I removed all span tags and almost all class attributes, leaving simply <p> as you suggested for most paragraphs. It was only in my converting the PRC files that I had prepared to upload to Amazon to EPUB (through Calibre and Sigil) that I ended up with all sorts of CSS stuff.

Anyway, I've seen a few places now that have said that books which have been sideloaded to the Kobo have a problem with italics and bold since the new firmware release a few days ago. I expect Kobo will fix this soon. I'm pretty confident that has caused my problem.

Thanks very much to those of you who offered help!

Last edited by Mookiemon; 07-01-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 07-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post

Code:
.italic {
    }

Actually, the ; is not needed in the last line of a CSS style before the }. So the code as originally posted is correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One thing to note. Do not use Calibre's viewer to test your ePub. Use ADE to test your ePub.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing to note. Do not use Calibre's viewer to test your ePub. Use ADE to test your ePub.

At least for the acid test
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
Mookiemon
Carol

It looks fine in ADE. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Update! In re-reading my post, it struck me that italics and bold are fine on purchased books but not on my test book which is side-loaded. I googled "kobo sideload italic" and found (on Mobileread forums of course!) that this is a bug of the lasted Kobo firmware update! So, I've spent my entire day puzzling over a non-existent problem. How to test my epubs then? Just to confirm, is it considered acceptable to use <em>tags for an italicized word in the middle of the text?
Yes, that is fine. You can also use CSS and span but it is more cumbersome IMHO.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
If you are using the Kobo Touch, there is a bug in version 1.9.5 of the firmware whereby italic and bold fonts are not displayed for side-loaded EPUBS (Kobo EPUBS are okay). This is expected to be fixed in the next release of the firmware.

Last edited by Joe563; 07-13-2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Clarification
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Fixed in v1.9.6 firmware.

Tags
bold, italic, kobo ereader, sigil