Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
donovanh
Enthusiast
donovanh began at the beginning.

Right handed page turning

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been discussed. It seems to me that the control stick on the bottom right of the Reader is underused, in particular the action performed when the stick is pushed right while not navigating previously viewed pages.

I was thinking, maybe as feature request, to turn to the next page when the stick is pressed right (unless the user is moving forward through their history), as it would allow the reader to be controlled with the right hand more easily.

I'm not an expert in ergonomics, but perhaps having a double function in the control could be confusing. What do you think?

Donovan
donovanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I agree with you. I am left handed, and if I want to eat while I read, it becomes a task. If they made the joystick dual purpose where I could turn pages with it, that would be very convenient.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The menu ring would have been even better, but it's taken for an essential feature.. one level up in menu tree.

I agree that page turn with joystick right would be a nice addition. And to be honest, I wouldn't miss the history browsing at all if they took it away completely, so I'd like to see joystick left be previous page. (1 page back, not last in history). I think that would be a whole lot simpler for novice users to understand also.

Longingly I wish... If only our developers had enough access and information to write something like that as a hack.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Two sane people, 180 degrees off on the use of the history browsing. I use it when I need (or want) to flip back to something recent. It is also great if I somehow forget to turn the Reader off and one of the buttons gets pressed jumping me to somewhere else in the book. Look back at the history and see where the progressive numbers stopped and go there.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I use the history the same way you do RWood. I don't think I'd miss it otherwise, but I'd have to turn the Reader off & on more frequently. Perhaps it could be user selectable. I seem to recall that Sony is trying to keep the number of such options down, though, something about keeping the OS/App from bloating (if I remember all the way back from September correctly).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Two sane people, 180 degrees off on the use of the history browsing.
Interesting. I always bookmark my page when I stop reading, and unbookmark it when I start up again.

On reflection, my solution may indicate that you give me too much credit in the sanity department!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do that too, Bob -- I s'pose I should have said that I bookmark my place and then step back through the history (using the jogstick) 'til I see my bookmark again (rather than going to the History menu, I mean), that would have been clearer.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
It'd be great if you could reassign the numbered buttons, which are practically useless during reading. Say buttons 1-5 to page back and 6-10 to page forward.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I use history to find the place I was in the read just after browsing through multiple books. It's faster than using the 'percentage of book' offered by the numbers and the 'multiplied by ten' page turn. I navigate this way because I use bookmarks for something else; mainly word lookup and interesting passages.

This tool lacks navigation through page number. I understand that since we have display sizes it complicates things, but we do need a search by page number, especially since turning a page takes so much time.

One thing I would'nt miss is the line of numbered buttons.

The joystick is underused. It could change functions depending of what type of page you are perusing. ex: if you are in the main menu it does as now but if you are in a page you could use the cursor to select text as bookmarks.

The big page turn button at the bottom could be scrapped and replaced by two little buttons on the right side at the same height as the left ones.

This device should be better than paper in all respects. This should be it's main goal. One of these should be one handed reading.

I think I'm out of thread here, isn't there a wish list thread somewhere else?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
It seems people want the left motion of the joystick to go back through history and the right motion to go to forward page turns. How are these mutually exclusive?

As far as reading usage, I never use bookmarks (how do you make one?) and I never use history unless when moving/turning a page I accidentally hit one of the numbered buttons (would be nice if these locked while reading or you had to hold for 2 seconds to be active while reading?). When I'm done reading I just hit the little power slider to turn the Reader off, next time I pick it up I hit the slider to turn it back on. The hibernate is fast enough I've never felt a need to leave it on, even if I will be reading again in 10 minutes.

Just make joystick back = go back through history and joystick forward = next page while reading, problem solved!
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
The history function saved me multiple times where I had pushed a numbered button by accident. But hey, it's so simple. Give the user the choice in settings to use the jostick as history or page flip button.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #12
Turtle Woman
Enthusiast
Turtle Woman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I love the big page turn button, I use it left-handed or right-handed. Please don't make it go away!
Turtle Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
... I never use bookmarks (how do you make one?) ....
You push the "Mark" button, L.G. ....
Old 03-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
The history function saved me multiple times where I had pushed a numbered button by accident. But hey, it's so simple. Give the user the choice in settings to use the jostick as history or page flip button.
You don't need to give the reader a choice, you can get the same functionality as the history button by hitting menu then 6. Paging forward/back is used far more often then history browsing, so I don't think it would be a huige hardship for people to use the history menu instead of a history button.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkilian
You don't need to give the reader a choice, you can get the same functionality as the history button by hitting menu then 6. Paging forward/back is used far more often then history browsing, so I don't think it would be a huige hardship for people to use the history menu instead of a history button.
You *really* don't need to give the reader a choice, because the right motion can be used to move to the next page in the history when there *is* such a beast, and otherwise move the the next page. Every once and a while someone could get caught because they hit back a couple of times, started reading, and then hit forward which now takes them through the history instead of to the next page, but in that very rare circumstance, you can always just hit back and then use one of the *other* two page forward buttons.

I agree that the right jiggle when there is no forward history would make a nice alternative "next page" option, I just don't think any of the current functionality needs to change.
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote