Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Readers

I made several journeys on London's public transport system - buses tubes and trains - yesterday and noted fellow-passengers reading eBooks.

Kindle: 11
Anything else: 0

That's all. Nothing to discuss, really. Just thought it might be of interest. Move it somewhere else if you like, but this is where the serious eBook makers seem to hang out.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
I haven't counted them, but travelling daily on public transport here in the Netherlands I mainly see Sonys. I see the occasional Kobo or Kindle.

I have never seen another Kindle DX in the two years I used one, and I haven't seen another Kobo Aura HD yet either.

But dedicated ereaders are pretty rare anyway. Everybody and his dog is staring at tablets and (large) smartphones.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I haven't done a survey in a while, but the situation in Vancouver and Halifax (Canada) seems to be much more mixed. Kobo seems to be the most common, but I've seen Sony as well. I suspect it's because the library system only lends out ePubs and because the biggest bookstore up here (Chapters) used to own a major stake in Kobo.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same here in London UK with public libraries - epub only. It wasn't a freak day - I've noted this Kindle domination before. It surprises me too.

Plenty of people with smartphones of course, but they seemed to be messaging or playing games rather than reading ebooks. Apart from my Nexus 7, all the tablets I saw were Kindles.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
In the Seattle area, it's Kindle by a large margin. Not surprising, since Amazon is headquartered here.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I mainly see Kobo's, but it's Canada and that makes sense. With an improved Kindle Canada storefront that may change, but library lending being nerfed in Canada on Kindle makes Kindle a non-starter for most people I know. I love the Kindle I won, but if I had paid for it, I probably would have a Kobo too.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
exaltedwombat
Guru

Local pride in a Seattle business? (How well does Apple sell? :-) Or does Amazon offer special deals to its neighbours?

I wouldn't want a one-program tablet anyway (unless I particularly needed the long battery life of an eReader). But that's a whole other issue.

Last edited by exaltedwombat; 09-12-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me, it would be for easy library lending that I would choose Kobo or Sony over Kindle in Canada. I like the selection, prices and sales at Amazon, but I haven't done a lot of in-depth searching for actual selection of things I've been reading.

The number of Kobo's is probably based on physical store availability. You don't see Kindle anywhere physically and Amazon.ca is overpriced for almost every product that isn't a book so indirect traffic is probably close to nill.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Local pride in a Seattle business? (How well does Apple sell? :-) Or does Amazon offer special deals to its neighbours?
Local pride? Doubt it. More like advertising; no special deals. Another plus is the large ebook collections libraries in this area have; including Kindle ebooks.

That said, Apple sells very well here. With ereaders, I mostly see Kindles. But with tablets, I see quite a mix (Kindle, iPad, Galaxy, Nook, etc).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
For me, it would be for easy library lending that I would choose Kobo or Sony over Kindle in Canada. I like the selection, prices and sales at Amazon, but I haven't done a lot of in-depth searching for actual selection of things I've been reading.

The number of Kobo's is probably based on physical store availability. You don't see Kindle anywhere physically and Amazon.ca is overpriced for almost every product that isn't a book so indirect traffic is probably close to nill.
Here, in Kingston, Ontario, both Staples and The Source (Radio Shack) carry Kindles in-store.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Might be aliens reading intravenously right beside me for all I'd notice.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
Here, in Kingston, Ontario, both Staples and The Source (Radio Shack) carry Kindles in-store.
Shoppers Drug Mart also carries Kindles and one of the mobile phone providers had some sort of offer a couple of months back, so it's not as though Kindles are hard to come by in Canada.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
I stand corrected. No direct Overdrive support for library lending would still make me think twice about actually paying money for a Kindle as a Canadian.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
On the NYC subway, it's a mix of everything. Whenever I fly I'm struck by how many people I see reading on iPads (as opposed to playing games or watching movies). I see more iPads than Kindles on the plane, but more Kindles than iPads on the subway.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Over here it's mostly smartphones (Android more than iOS) and tablets, with the occasional laptop: most are gaming, texting, listening to music or doing something else however; the actual readers are still mostly toting pbooks!

And they're mostly women... many of whom are reading locally published books in our national language with their hackneyed plots. Sigh. Nothing against the ladies, or my national language, but the books that come from local publishers in the national language aren't exactly good literature, if you take my meaning.

Dedicated e-reader hardware isn't easily come by in Malaysia, alas since Amazon and B&N seem to dislike Asian countries for shipping and such.

Last edited by Sefiriot; 09-12-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote