Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #1
blackxacto
Enthusiast
blackxacto began at the beginning.

Device: iMac 10,1, OSX10.9
Smile Stupid beginner question

I have a free collection of writings by an author. HOWEVER, the collection comes to me as a .mobi file. I opened it in Calibre and converted to ebook. Then opened the ebook in Sigil.

I think I am half out of my mind, but I am trying to clear all the crap, the broken sentences, the bad typos, etc. God if I did this for a living, but anyway, I have a couple of questions about Sigil:

1. I opened the ebook in 1. Code View and 2. Book View. I found it easier to scroll the book view to find crap to edit. Then edit the code view window. BUT, clicking on the typo in BV does not bring up the CV. BV is squirrelly. Clicking on it does not hold the area. I have to click off BV, then click CV, the click back on BV to get the typo to show in CV. Or do I have the stupid app set wrong.

I find to find the typo in CV I have to search the code view by typing the typo, then search.

Am I doing this correctly? Sure is screwy if so.

2. I only want to insert a line space to flow w the text. What would the code be for a single line space. Here is some sample code from the ebook:

<p class="calibre4"><span antiqua="" class="calibre5" linotype="" new="" palatino="" roman="" serif="">' "You'd better find out," the priest said, and put the blanket back. Olz didn't say anything. The priest looked at him. Olz looked back at the priest. "You want to know?"</span></p>

<p class="calibre4"><span antiqua="" class="calibre5" linotype="" new="" palatino="" roman="" serif="">' "I must know," the priest said.'</span></p>

<p class="calibre4"><span antiqua="" class="calibre5" linotype="" new="" palatino="" roman="" serif="">'This is where it's good,' the innkeeper said. 'Listen to this. Go on, Franz.'</span></p>

Last edited by blackxacto; 04-13-2014 at 01:36 AM.
blackxacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you click on the typo (line) before you switch views, the view will synch pretty close.

Paragraph (all) spacing is done by adjusting the margin-top: <value> for calibre4 (in this case)

<p class="calibre4">&nbsp; </p> for an aditional blank line
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
blackxacto
Enthusiast

With Code View window beside Book View window, if I find the typo in the BV window, I click on it, but as soon as I release my mouse the Book View flips somewhere else, and the typo goes with it so I have to search for the word in Code View window to edit because the clicking on the typo in Book View does not stay in the window, but flips somewhere else.

Or maybe I'm not using it correctly.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You are confusing the Preview window with Bookview, since you cannot have them active at the same time.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You are confusing the Preview window with Bookview, since you cannot have them active at the same time.
You can if you run a Multi-head system.
PV is on my upper monitor. Sometimes I switch from CV (cus I am )and it still is there
Old 04-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No, you can have preview and CodeView at the same time, but not CodeView and BookView. It is the one or the other.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
No, you can have preview and CodeView at the same time, but not CodeView and BookView. It is the one or the other.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
the old versions had something called split view, I don't think any one has asked what version the OP is using ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Being able to see both windows is one of the advantages of the calibre editor. It updates quickly, so you can see if change you made actually take or your code needs correcting.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Being able to see both windows is one of the advantages of the calibre editor. It updates quickly, so you can see if change you made actually take or your code needs correcting.
it was also in old version of sigil though, was it not - maybe version 4 ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
it was also in old version of sigil though, was it not - maybe version 4 ?
Preview (F10) works similar to Calibre. I just shrank the lower and side panes. It helps to have a second monitor so fitting both is not as much of a hassle
Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
blackxacto
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Preview (F10) works similar to Calibre. I just shrank the lower and side panes. It helps to have a second monitor so fitting both is not as much of a hassle
I'm using Sigil 0.7.4 in Mavericks on a 27" iMac.

So I've cleared a ton of typos from the book over the past three days. Book is looking more like an actual book now. Since the preview or book view will not point the code view to the typo without flipping away following mouse click, I now use a procedure to edit typos. I open the book on an iPad in iBook and bookmark all typo pages. Then search for the typo in Sigil code view. I'm beginning to become a regular search expert

I'm a recovering designer after 33 years and hate flush left text in any ebook, can someone help with a code for changing flush left to center for certain heads? Don't hate me, I just want to correct a free book I found.

I do appreciate the Gurus suggestion for line space, it worked beautifully.

Oh, one other code, what code would work for ITALICIZING a word within a paragraph? Thanks guy's.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_div_align.asp

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_text_text-align.asp
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you considered using the Edit eBook function of calibre, as opposed to Sigil for your eBook editting?

The Sigil editor is no longer being maintained, whereas the calibre solution is undergoing rapid evolution.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@blackxacto for italics, bold etc see http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_formatting.asp

Sigil has kb shorts for italics bold & underline - ctrl/i, ctrl/b, ctrl/u

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote