Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Chrissy.B
Chrissy.B began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Question Watching movies on the Vox

I have some digital copies of movies on my mac that I would like to be able to watch on the Vox. How do I go about doing this?
Chrissy.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
The built in Gallery app will play some videos.

Better yet is install VLC from jefftheworld's app pack:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156201
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
What format are the videos??
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
What format are the videos??
Use VLC or Mobo player and it won't matter.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy.B View Post
I have some digital copies of movies on my mac that I would like to be able to watch on the Vox. How do I go about doing this?
Since the Vox memory isn't all that big, using the microSD card to store the movies is probably the best idea. And you can play them right from the card (extsd). As mentioned, Mobo Player will likely play any format you have.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Chrissy.B

I went to mobo.codeplex.com hit download accept the legal stuff and it says that download is unsuccessful. any tips?

Last edited by Chrissy.B; 11-28-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
russilwvong
russilwvong began at the beginning.

My suggestion is to try playing your videos with the built-in Gallery app first.

Do you know how to copy files from your Mac onto the Kobo Vox?
russilwvong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Chrissy.B

Quote:
Originally Posted by russilwvong View Post
My suggestion is to try playing your videos with the built-in Gallery app first.

Do you know how to copy files from your Mac onto the Kobo Vox?
The video's were on the kobo, the gallery app can't play them, tried it already.

They are protected MPEG4
Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
russilwvong

What kind of protection is on them? (I haven't tried playing any protected videos on my Vox.) Are they from iTunes? If so, I'm guessing that Apple won't let you unlock them, and you won't be able to play them on the Vox, no matter what movie player app you install.

Have you tried the sample videos posted by bbz_Ghost on this Nook Color thread, to make sure that you can play unprotected videos?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have not been successful at watching a movie on VLC. The gallery player does fine though. I actually streamed one from dropbox on it as well to see if it would work.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
This is a little off topic, but where can I get movies for the Vox?
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
russilwvong

I use HandBrake to encode DVDs that I own.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
This is a little off topic, but where can I get movies for the Vox?
I am really surprised that Kobo didn't try to put together an app store prior to releasing the Vox (where we could buy movies and music, too). I guess they already have their hands full, though...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #14
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Note that by using ES Explorer my Vox is happily playing videos from my Windows network servers. I suspect it could also access your Mac files with some work.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Kobo has its bookstore, why not offer movies too?
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote