Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I wouldn't care if they had it if they'd make it so you could turn it on and off.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #32
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I wouldn't care if they had it if they'd make it so you could turn it on and off.
This. Options are good. I'm new to Kobo and the update thing, is there any way to go back to a previous version once updated?
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #33
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I tried a kepub, and though I am not too bothered by the title which is displayed in much smaller characters, I am very annoyed by the waste of space. This must absolutely become either optional or be removed (Not forgetting Kepubs or I won't be seeing much of those)
Guess I won't be updating my readers for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It is the same as the title for kepubs. A waste of space and a bit distracting.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The nook STR keeps space saved for the title that it doesn't display. That's annoying. So I can see how this is annoying. Sony with their LRX format had an option in the format to have a header. That was annoying because the commercial eBooks had it turned on.

I can easily see how this can be annoying. Especially since I do like the text up at the top. Is the menu space at the bottom still wasted even though there is no menu displayed? kepubs displaying like crap is not not an issue as I'd never actually read them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #35
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
Does anyone know what bugs were fixed? (other than less ghosting on pdfs that is) There are no release notes to tell us and adding the title to the top of the page on epubs is not what I would call a bug fix, it is a new "feature" which should be documented in the release notes. I know this is an old complaint with kobo as they often don't bother to update the release notes.

It really is unfortunate that Kobo can't be bothered to listen to the beta testers on things like this.
Ghosting wasn't fixed afterall, as I posted above...

Besides the change in epubs having the title always present, the only fix I found was that the Japanese-Japanese (prolly English-Japanese too) dictionary now has a readable font size. So not really useful to most people on this forum.

But I haven't done much reading yet, so if I notice anything tonight good or bad, will post back.

Most people probably do want to stay away from updating...I updated hoping PDFs were fixed, but since they aren't and the hated kepub-similar titles have appeared, but none of the good kepub features, kinda wishing I hadn't...ah well, waiting for the next update to hopefully fix sillinesses hasn't killed me yet

Edit: they may as well just have the top menu items there all the time, since that's what it's like with the title there, without the usefulness of quickly accessing the menu.

Last edited by Uschiekid; 05-09-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #36
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't mind the title at the top, it will help balance out the page, like a real book. I will just have to go through all my sideloaded epubs and remove the extra @page{margin-top:10pt} I had added.

Last edited by GeoffR; 05-09-2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 PM   #37
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
So, if I've read this correctly, there is no compelling reason to upgrade unless I simply must know which book I'm reading in epubs, without pressing the screen to see, and I'm willing to give up a line or two of text to do it? Thanks, Kobo, once again you astound us all with your generosity.

P.S. How go the existing bug fixes? Is it true you guys get paid by the bug?

P.P.S. I know it's not quite on subject, but it does concern firmware upgrades. I just installed the Tweaks plug-in, Glo Night Mode, and Kindle PDF Reader add-on programs. What must I do to upgrade to the next firmware? Must they be uninstalled, or if I just upgrade will they just get wiped when the firmware upgrades and require re-installing, or will they stay installed and hooked into the new firmware with only a trip to Library->Books to reactivate the plug-in after the new firmware boots?

Thanks. I wouldn't normally ask here, but it seems sort of a related question.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
Well ... the way text is displayed is the core functionality of a reading device and if some - non adjustable - aspect of the standard layout bothers you for some reason you have to face it on every single page.

Any idea what the bug fixes and new features are with this version. Not to forget newly introduced, old re-appearing bugs and dropped features from earlier versions?
One oddity I've seen. I added two books to my Aura after the update and both of them display a text cover in sleep/power off. Looking at the uSD card, neither has any images in the extended storage images directory.

I think I am going to do a factory reset and let it rebuild this evening just to see if that clears up the issue. If not, I think it'll be time to back-rev.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:02 AM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
One oddity I've seen. I added two books to my Aura after the update and both of them display a text cover in sleep/power off. Looking at the uSD card, neither has any images in the extended storage images directory.

I think I am going to do a factory reset and let it rebuild this evening just to see if that clears up the issue. If not, I think it'll be time to back-rev.
It's a new bug. The files aren't generated and saved, but if they are already there, they will be used.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It's a new bug. The files aren't generated and saved, but if they are already there, they will be used.
That's what I noted. The book I was reading had a sleep image but the new book did not when I opened it.

But is it a new and 'improved' bug?

Time to get Calibre to generate a mass of cover files...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #41
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That's what I noted. The book I was reading had a sleep image but the new book did not when I opened it.

But is it a new and 'improved' bug?
It is new in 2.5.2. But "improved"?
Quote:
Time to get Calibre to generate a mass of cover files...
At the moment, that's the way to do it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #42
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In 2.5.1 I noticed the full justification icon was blank when the font settings menu was first opened (a very minor bug, I know). This seems to be fixed in 2.5.2.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #43
GeoffR
Wizard

In 2.5.2 the back arrow in the translation dictionary works the way it did pre-2.5.0 (i.e. it takes you to an input box to allow editing the selected word, rather than back to the previous page).
Old 05-10-2013, 02:45 AM   #44
GeoffR
Wizard

Calibre 0.9.29 does not recognise the database/firmware version in 2.5.2. Is it safe to tick the "Attempt to use newer firmware" box, or should I wait for a Calibre update?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #45
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I just used it successfully on the Aura. I have the Attempt box checked, but I don't know if that is why it worked.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote