Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #661
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Easy solution would be for Rowling to give her approval to sell the James Potter for a small royalty.

She's already a billionaire, apparently has given approval for the stories to be written and *given away*, so why not allow the author to be able to point to them as part of a successful professional writing portfolio?

Many other authors have allowed other people to profit from their own playgrounds, and none of them are anywhere near as wealthy from their writing as Rowling.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #662
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresden Files

This review is from a blog called Leo Elijah Cristea and a direct link to the review is here.

Quote:
Storm Front (The Dresden Files #1) by Jim Butcher

“My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. When things get strange, when what goes bump in the night flicks on the lights, when no one else can help you, give me a call. I’m in the book.”

Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files aren’t exactly new to the scene; in fact, it’s me who’s rather late to the Dresden party. I’d not even heard of the Dresden Files until the Sorcerer’s Apprentice film was released, and a friend complained beforehand that it should have been given a disclaimer of “based on the Dresden Files” after realising how its magic system would work. I enjoyed the film (so did the friend, in the end) and I always had that name at the back of my mind. Dresden.

Then, it was nominated—but didn’t win—in the Fantasy Faction book club a month or so ago, and so the name floated back to the surface. And of course, the release of Ghost Story only compounded the notion that I needed to start reading this Dresden fellow.

I didn’t look into the book before buying it, didn’t read reviews or look up the blurb—I just bought it. It was only after it was sitting pretty on my desk that I looked into reviews, and found a bundle of reviews on Goodreads, posted by women who were less impressed with Dresden’s charm. “Oh, goodie”, I thought, given that the mention of his basement, leather duster, potion-making and general pseudo-goth-nerd (though really, Dresden, a goth? I question you, reviewers, if the first book is any indication) comments, that I would really dig this book.

And you know what? I did.

It was my first timid foray into urban fantasy, and whilst I certainly felt disarmed without my sword, daggers, leather armour and longbow, I did rather enjoy the staff and the spelled trinkets that Dresden totes. In fact, it was everything I expected it to be. I can’t say it’ll make an avid reader of urban fantasy out of me, because it won’t. I like my other fantasy, far, far too much. However, I shall be reading the backlist of the Dresden Files, that’s for sure.

Harry is a likeable character, and whilst his first person narrative style is about as done and overdone as badly cooked beef, it doesn’t matter. Nobody complains (well, I will, because I dare, and it’s what has kept myself and urban fantasy at odds with each other for a while now) about whiny, self-obsessed female vampire hunter chicks who all have the same damn narrative voice, so I sure as hell will back Harry’s voice: he’s fun, he’s quirky, and whilst by now he might not be original, it doesn’t matter, because he’s entertaining. It’s nice reading a first person novel and seeing yourself in the protagonist, even if just a teeny bit. Harry rocks, quite frankly. Plus… what’s wrong with a leather duster?

The writing is surprisingly good. I don’t mean that I expected it to be bad, because I didn’t. I didn’t, however, expect it to be so well-written and rich. I expected urban fantasy equals plainer writing than other fantasy subgenres. I don’t know why, I just did. But, Butcher’s writing is perfect for the book, perfect for Harry, and perfect for the story he tells. The plot is as complex and yet as simple as any good detective story should be, with all the pieces there waiting to be found, waiting to be put together, and always just out of reach. It worked excellently.

I’m not a fan of the detective genre, I never have been (I like fantasy), but I think the mixture of supernatural and crime works like a charm. It felt like a better crafted, more case-driven version of Tanya Huff’s Blood books. Very different, but somehow, it worked better for me. Maybe, if you believe the Goodreads ladies and their damning reviews, because I’m a guy and I identify with Dresden. Someone called it “misogynistic shit”: baffled as to how Harry is misogynous, however. Not that it matters: Harry is all kinds of cool, the plot is exciting and different enough that no matter the urban fantasy you’ve encountered (I’m thinking TV here, too) you will be surprised by the originality of Butcher’s ideas. The supporting cast is interesting enough, and Butcher’s subtle worldbuilding—picking and choosing ideas from the buffet of folklore and our world’s paranormal/supernatural repertoire—presents a very tangible world which he populates realistically and attractively.

Basically, I liked it. I didn’t love it, and the Dresden Files won’t be steamrolling to the top of my extensive to-read list—I’m too starved of my lovely, comfy fantasy after my last two reads. But I will be buying the backlist, and I do now count myself as a Harry Dresden fan. In all honesty: what was there not to like in Storm Front? It’s a bit of fun, Butcher flirts with the idea of darker, deeper and stronger things to come, from Harry, and it’s generally an excellent stepping stone into a new genre for me. I’ll start with Dresden, and take it from there.

If you want a quirky, partly-geeky wizard-for-hire, and want to follow him around investigating weird and whack cases, then Harry is your man, and I suggest you become acquainted with him immediately. He’s in the book.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #663
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
So, I'd like to make a suggestion that anyone who, while waiting for a new Dresden Files book to be released, is currently reading either 'Urban Fantasy' or 'Steampunk', post here about these also. Oh, and, of course, Jim Butcher's other series, 'Codex Alera'. What do any of you folks think about this idea?
Why not, reading recommendations are always welcome

I've been reading the Kate Daniels (the first is Magic Bites) novels by Illona Andrews over the past few weeks.
It's Urban Fantasy set some years in the future (sometime around 2046?, not sure).
As in the Dresdenverse Magic and Tech are at odds, but here magic comes and goes in waves, one moment technology works just fine the next magic rules and tech is almost useless.
The protagonist is Kate Daniels (who would've guessed) a merc that deals with the monsters and other nasties that come with the magic, provided you're paying the guild fees of course. She's also the only viewpoint character (first person like Harry, maybe not quite as much of a smartass).
It's got action, fun, a little bit of mystery and bit of romance and I think those who like Harry should take a look.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #664
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Ilona Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Why not, reading recommendations are always welcome

I've been reading the Kate Daniels (the first is Magic Bites) novels by Illona Andrews over the past few weeks.
It's Urban Fantasy set some years in the future (sometime around 2046?, not sure).
As in the Dresdenverse Magic and Tech are at odds, but here magic comes and goes in waves, one moment technology works just fine the next magic rules and tech is almost useless.
The protagonist is Kate Daniels (who would've guessed) a merc that deals with the monsters and other nasties that come with the magic, provided you're paying the guild fees of course. She's also the only viewpoint character (first person like Harry, maybe not quite as much of a smartass).
It's got action, fun, a little bit of mystery and bit of romance and I think those who like Harry should take a look.
Interestingly Ilona Andrews is actually a husband/wife (Ilona & Gordon) writing team and in addition to the Kate Daniels series they have another series called The Edge also in the UF genre. Then thare's a two novella series called The Kinsmen. They create some interesting environment for their characters to inhabit.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #665
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I think I've created a monster! :)

I introduced my hubby to The Dresden Files novels shortly after I learned about them. He just started reading them a few months ago (with other books in between). Guess who just bought book 11 (Turn Coat) before me!! I haven't even read book 7 yet.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #666
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I introduced my hubby to The Dresden Files novels shortly after I learned about them. He just started reading them a few months ago (with other books in between). Guess who just bought book 11 (Turn Coat) before me!! I haven't even read book 7 yet.
Maybe less purchases draining your book budget?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #667
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Maybe less purchases draining your book budget?
True. We do share, so it'll be waiting for me when I'm ready.

I'm working on Shutter Island at the moment after not reading for a while.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #668
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Interestingly Ilona Andrews is actually a husband/wife (Ilona & Gordon) writing team and in addition to the Kate Daniels series they have another series called The Edge also in the UF genre. Then thare's a two novella series called The Kinsmen. They create some interesting environment for their characters to inhabit.
Both of these series are great. Even though The Edge is classed as a paranormal romance, by the third book the magic world they've created is really unique (to me). Ilona Andrews also wrote a short story published in Angels of Darkness called Alphas that would have made an interesting full-length novel or series.

I also like the Allie Beckstrom series, which (so far) has one of the best UF series plots that I've read. Once a series has many books, sometimes the overall plot seems to get lost in filler to pad out the series. I don't get that feeling with this one.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #669
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Urban Fantasy Authors

Jim Butcher
Ilona Andrews
Kim Harrison
Eileen Wilks
Faith Hunter
Jim Butcher
Jeaniene Frost
Jennifer Estep
Patricia Briggs
Seanan McGuire
Diana Rowland
Kalayna Price
Simon R. Green
Mark Del Franco
Kelly Gay
Allyson James
Dianne Sylvan
Lilith Saintcrow
Rob Thurman
Old 03-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #670
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'll add:

Devon Monk
Stacia Kane
Karen Chance
Kevin Hearne
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #671
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Jim Butcher
Ilona Andrews
Kim Harrison
Eileen Wilks
Faith Hunter
Jim Butcher
Jeaniene Frost
Jennifer Estep
Patricia Briggs
Seanan McGuire
Diana Rowland
Kalayna Price
Simon R. Green
Mark Del Franco
Kelly Gay
Allyson James
Dianne Sylvan
Lilith Saintcrow
Rob Thurman
Jim Butcher; so good they named him twice
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #672
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I would add for starters:
Glen Cook
Charlie Huston
Ben Aaronovitch
Derek Landy
Liz Williams

Last edited by speakingtohe; 03-12-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: oops was Charlie Huston
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #673
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
If we are making lists, I'll add M.L.N. Hanover. I just finished Killing Rites (fourth book in The Black Sun's Daughter).

And I love the Kate Daniels books, even more than Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs, I think
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #674
magkelly
magkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beautymagkelly does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: T310 Cruz Tablet
I have the Tv series and still watch it. I liked it very much, particularly the way they did Bob. As much as I like reading the skull, a physical Terry Mann playing Bob from the skull was awesome. I've seen the original pilot and I'm glad they changed some of it. I still can't believe they cancelled it. I've read about half the books so far. I have them to date, but I just have so many things to read that I haven't gotten back to Butcher's world lately. I will soon probably.
magkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #675
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by magkelly View Post
I have the Tv series and still watch it. I liked it very much, particularly the way they did Bob. As much as I like reading the skull, a physical Terry Mann playing Bob from the skull was awesome. I've seen the original pilot and I'm glad they changed some of it. I still can't believe they cancelled it. I've read about half the books so far. I have them to date, but I just have so many things to read that I haven't gotten back to Butcher's world lately. I will soon probably.
So, you've seen the pilot as a 2 hour pilot, not the 1 hour episode 8? Where...how...!?! I own the series on DVD and the pilot was not included, just 'Storm Front', episode 8.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy