Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Converting for iPad, and reading

I'm not at sure that this is the right place to post these questions, so please bear with me.

The background is that I will probably asked to convert valid ePub based ebooks for the iPad, and I don't have an iPad on which to test the output. So far as I know iPads do it different.

1. If I convert a valid ePub file to iPad format will the reading experience I have on my Sony PRS-650 with the converted file be close to that someone reading the ePub on an iPad would have?

2. If not, is there a desktop reader with which I can check the converted ebooks which will give me a reading experience close to that someone reading the ePub on an iPad would have?

I have checked the wiki and done googles, and haven't found articles which answer these question.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
The IBooks app, which is native to the Ipad can read epub files, so no conversion is needed. The few times I do convert from a different format to epub (using Calibre) I choose Sony Reader for my output settings out of habit because I used to do all my reading on my Sony. Whether or not I convert, I have had no trouble opening any epub files in iBooks. There are other reading apps, but since iBooks serves me well, I haven't explored those other options.

The only thing that might be an issue is DRM containing eBooks. Most books I buy are DRM-free. If they're not, I unlock them. I don't remember if I've read any locked library books on my Ipad.

There are ebook reader apps for the Ipad that have desktop equivalents, such as Stanza and, I believe, GoodReader, but none, as far as I know, for iBooks.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If your ePub has to look good with iBooks, you need access to iBooks to make sure it looks the way you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
In my experience any epub will look good on ibooks automatically. The only place Apple rather obnoxiously ignores the spec is with font declarations on a variety of elements.

The latest version of iBooks does let you 'force' font declarations for everything, but you need to add a non-standard file, com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml to the meta-inf folder.

Most of the other areas where Apple ignores the ePub spec is more along the lines of their own proprietary extensions to ePub, so you don't need to worry about those extensions with a 'standard' epub.

Best resource for iBooks tweaks is the Pigs and Gourds blog:
http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/search/label/iBooks
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you all, that's most helpful.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If your ePub has to look good with iBooks, you need access to iBooks to make sure it looks the way you want.
Thanks, Jon

Please don't be offended, but can I ask if you have an iPad? Have you noticed yourself any things which could go wrong if I don't check the file on an iPad?

I already have my Sony, and bought a Kindle to be able to check the mobi conversions. I rarely use it for anything else, and my wife would be distinctly unamused if I wanted to buy an iPad as well.

Last edited by AlexBell; 06-23-2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have both a Sony and an iPad. In my experience if it looks good on the Sony it will also look as good (or better) in iBooks on the iPad.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I have both a Sony and an iPad. In my experience if it looks good on the Sony it will also look as good (or better) in iBooks on the iPad.
Thanks, Itimpi, that's most helpful.

Regards, Alex