Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
erikjanneman
erikjanneman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Need some help

I was hoping someone could help me with the following problem. I have an Ebook with a lot of format problems. I have no idea to fix them. I've tried converting it and checking different boxes in the process to see if it helps, but nothing does. I hope someone can point me in the right direction as how to fix this (if it is possible)

I've made some print screens of the problem, see attachment.

As seen in first screen, there are a lot of blank spaces and lines. Even breaking up sentences.. It makes the book very difficult to read.

The second screen shows part of the text has turned bigger and darker. I assume the first line there needs to be bold, the rest not. It stops at the next chapter.

I've also encountered typo's like a space in a word (i.e. 'pro blem'). Is there a way to fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre problem1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	116507   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre problem2.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	116508  
erikjanneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikjanneman View Post
I was hoping someone could help me with the following problem. I have an Ebook with a lot of format problems. I have no idea to fix them. I've tried converting it and checking different boxes in the process to see if it helps, but nothing does. I hope someone can point me in the right direction as how to fix this (if it is possible)

I've made some print screens of the problem, see attachment.

As seen in first screen, there are a lot of blank spaces and lines. Even breaking up sentences.. It makes the book very difficult to read.

The second screen shows part of the text has turned bigger and darker. I assume the first line there needs to be bold, the rest not. It stops at the next chapter.

I've also encountered typo's like a space in a word (i.e. 'pro blem'). Is there a way to fix this?
Adjusting the line unwrap factor (in the conversion settings) down by a small amount may join lines. [fist case]
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What are you trying to convert from? The screen shots suggest that the source might be PDF. If that is the case then enabling the heuristics option may give better results.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
erikjanneman

It's an Epub.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Even if the image on the left is an epub now, it looks to me like an epub which has already been converted - very badly - from a PDF to epub. To rejoin all those individual lines back into correct paragraphs needs significant manual time and effort in an epub editor like Sigil (or the coming-soon calibre book editor). No amount of converting will make a garbage epub into a joy to read, or as we say in the UK 'You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'.

Depending on how much you value your time the 'cheapest' option is to go and buy a retail copy of the book. If this really is a retail copy, ask for your money back.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
erikjanneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Even if the image on the left is an epub now, it looks to me like an epub which has already been converted - very badly - from a PDF to epub. To rejoin all those individual lines back into correct paragraphs needs significant manual time and effort in an epub editor like Sigil (or the coming-soon calibre book editor). No amount of converting will make a garbage epub into a joy to read, or as we say in the UK 'You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear'.

Depending on how much you value your time the 'cheapest' option is to go and buy a retail copy of the book. If this really is a retail copy, ask for your money back.
Thanks, I thought this would be the case. I will not waste my time and try to fix this. I'll go back to the source. This topic can be closed now.