abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeonis View Post
My Post #37
Allo? DiapDealer? please.

So far, starting with HTML, I was doing everything with a script, coding the hard way, then I discoverd Sigil. It impacts significantly my flow.

Last edited by abeonis; 06-07-2013 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Où ai-je la tête?
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #62
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
How long will it take to have the perfect push button tool? 5 years?
OK. None of the chinese or indian business owners will ever attack the US market. Crystal clear. What about the other point? Tool for DIYers not for BPH. Estimates?
Thx

Last edited by abeonis; 06-07-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #63
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Those tools exist, although not perfect. They will get better over time of course... It is only a matter of time that epub is an 'official' export option for most word processors. If the quality is to our standards, that is a different question.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #64
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
If the quality is to our standards, that is a different question.
If we can easily regex it, Zen
Old 06-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #65
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Those tools exist, although not perfect. They will get better over time of course... It is only a matter of time that epub is an 'official' export option for most word processors. If the quality is to our standards, that is a different question.
Tox:

There are plenty of push-button ePUB exports now. Pages does it. Jutoh does it, INDD does it, etc. However, the resulting quality is not always great. Jutoh doesn't handle tables yet still, as far as I know, and the output I've seen from Pages is terrifying. The same is true for all the word-processors. This was the big alleged attraction of XSLT, but we all know that the same hurdles impacted the development: every book is different and has different challenges. I see very little difference between spending a few hours cleaning up a Word file versus outputting an HTML file and cleaning it there. The "by-hand" part is still the same. The sole difference is the interface with which the user is comfortable (for example, using BookDesigner versus BookCreator versus NoteTabPro clips and into Sigil. SS, DD).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #66
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Tox:

There are plenty of push-button ePUB exports now. Pages does it. Jutoh does it, INDD does it, etc. However, the resulting quality is not always great. Jutoh doesn't handle tables yet still, as far as I know, and the output I've seen from Pages is terrifying. The same is true for all the word-processors. This was the big alleged attraction of XSLT, but we all know that the same hurdles impacted the development: every book is different and has different challenges. I see very little difference between spending a few hours cleaning up a Word file versus outputting an HTML file and cleaning it there. The "by-hand" part is still the same. The sole difference is the interface with which the user is comfortable (for example, using BookDesigner versus BookCreator versus NoteTabPro clips and into Sigil. SS, DD).

Hitch
I fully agree with you, as you know. There is no 'ONE' tool to rule them all and I don't see it coming anytime soon. You need to do manual things to achieve good results and that is where there is the difference between the good and no too good creators.

Last edited by Toxaris; 06-08-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #67
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I fully agree with you, as you know. There is no 'ONE' tool to rule them all and I don't see it coming anytime soon. You need to do manual things to achieve good results and that is where there is the difference between the good and no to good creators.
Indeed. Speaking of which, did you say that you thought you'd have the new program out in a new version the beginning of this coming week? is that right? (Not pushing--asking. Have a testbed of 10 pdf's I'd like to run through it . Y'know, Abbyy--ToxBox, see what happens; they're good for testing, simple fiction titles of a consistent style).

h
Old 06-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to agree that there is no automated system that can replace the by-hand method of at least checking the code if not then tweaking it some.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
My Post #37

Allo? DiapDealer? please.
Trying to lure me back into a non-Sigil related topic, eh?

OK, for the questions I could easily pick out:
Quote:
As this navmap was playorder 1, the script also renumber the other navmaps starting with 1
Not really necessary, but OK.

?? What is the other alternative? Something a la KDP Guidelines 3.2.3 Cover Image Guideline #3 ? I am curious, please.
Just take it out of the NCX. Start with PlayOrder 2. Start with with 100, start with 37 and go up by fives. You can renumber them all consecutive if you like, but there's really little point as long as they're in ascending order.

Quote:
Optionnaly create a new NCX with only the chapters headings (reduced navmap without nested subchapters)
Why? Amazon encourages nested ToCs.

Last time I used the app Kindle for PC on one of my mobi, It didn't care about my sexy nested TOC and flattened everything. It was a big eBook with a lot of headings, the toc (in the left of the screen) was unusable.
So I decided to put an option box to check/uncheck in the GUI to modify the INI file.
Another reason is that I took note somewhere that ... "The Kindle does not navigate well with the 5-way controller on multiple-level navPoint entries".
Is it (still) true?
Nobody (and by nobody, I mean very few) reads with Kindle for PC. I don't worry about how it looks there (don't worry overly, anyway).

It's true, with older devices, that nested NCX navigation can be difficult/unwieldy with the 5-way. But also note that there's just not a lot of 5-way NCX navigation going on. I'm not saying there's not a lot of those devices still in use, I'm saying your HTML ToC is going see the vast majority of the use, rather than the NCX via the 5-way on those devices.

It's more than fair to want to flatten the NCX for the older devices, but just know you're doing so at the expense of making the experience for users of the newer devices clunky.

Quote:
Now, I noticed you use 2 different mobi and KF8 css files. It is ok but, is there a reason I should be aware of? Or is it just your way of organizing your job?
Personal preference only. I don't like wading through media queries and nested stuff in CSS trying to track down what does what for KF8, and what part's for MOBI-only and what part's for BOTH. Just don't like it. It's messy. Also, if I've been away from the book for a while, when I revisit it, I don't want to have to waste time getting back up to speed on all that MOBI/KF8/ALL CSS media-query mess. This way I know that I've got three very simple CSS files, each with a very specific purpose for a specific format.

I miss anything?

(Feel free to ask me future questions about prepping an ePub for conversion to a Kindlebook in the MOBI forum)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #70
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I miss anything?
No. Not at this time. Many thanks. You put your stamp on my post-sigil script.

Quote:
(Feel free to ask me future questions about prepping an ePub for conversion to a Kindlebook in the MOBI forum)
I will. I promess to be a good boy and post in the appropriate forum.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #71
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Indeed. Speaking of which, did you say that you thought you'd have the new program out in a new version the beginning of this coming week? is that right? (Not pushing--asking. Have a testbed of 10 pdf's I'd like to run through it . Y'know, Abbyy--ToxBox, see what happens; they're good for testing, simple fiction titles of a consistent style).

h
Yup, I am testdriving it now. Created two books with it so far without issues. So, I expect during or after the weekend.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:42 AM   #72
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yup, I am testdriving it now. Created two books with it so far without issues. So, I expect during or after the weekend.
Brill, looking forward to it!

Hitch (who has swapped out the Logitech for a MS Natural--so if my keying looks daft over the next few days, please endeavor not to laugh too hard, thanks.)
Old 06-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My typos have dropped considerably since Firefox added an on the fly dictionary. I'm able to see my misspelled words and fix them. I still do make some mistakes, but not nearly as many. I do switch between a UK keyboard (laptop) and a US keyboard (desktop).
Old 06-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #74
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My typos have dropped considerably since Firefox added an on the fly dictionary. I'm able to see my misspelled words and fix them. I still do make some mistakes, but not nearly as many. I do switch between a UK keyboard (laptop) and a US keyboard (desktop).
+1. Yes, very handy. I added the same thing to Chrome when I had to give up FF due to the egregious memory suckage. ;-)

Hitch
Old 06-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I had to give up Chrome due to Chrome suckage.

I can mange the FF memory usage fairly well. But I cannot manage the Chrome suckage at all without a total rewrite of Chrome.

Tags
uuid