Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: iPod Touch 5g, Kindle PW, iPad 3
LOVE my iPod Touch 4 - will I like the NC?

I currently read on my iPod Touch 4 and I love the crisp text (compared to my iPod Touch 3). I read with the night mode at all times (black background, white text) and prefer it over eink (I previously owned a Kindle 1).

I'm so tempted by the NC for the bigger screen. I really don't mind the small iPod Touch screen for most reading, but for certain things, I think having a bigger screen would be nice.

But I'm worried about the resolution. I know when I read on an iPod Touch 3 after having my 4, it looks terrible. How does the NC compare to the retina display on the iPod Touch 4? I've tried searching for closeup macro shots of the text, and I can't find any.

Thanks!
Jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
If you can comfortably read on the iPt4, then save your money and don't get the NC. With the iPt4, you have access to all of the major formats and bookstores, plus access to library books. The fact that it's small means you can have it with you at all times ready to read whatever you want.

Personally, I won't read off he iPt4 because the screen is too small.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think the NC is a little too heavy though it does look pretty bad ass I read on my iPhone when I am on the go because I dont feel like taking my Kindle DX everywhere with me.
I have a nc at home right now and I dont too much care to read on it.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
The screen reolution is fantastic on the nook color. It has a 1024 x 600 ips led screen. Very impressive. If you enjoy reading on your iphone you'll love this
Great ereader
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
waffleman
Enthusiast
waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
The screen reolution is fantastic on the nook color. It has a 1024 x 600 ips led screen. Very impressive. If you enjoy reading on your iphone you'll love this
Great ereader

Could not agree more. I've had the Nook Color about a month now. The resolution is amazing and the size is perfect (I would not want to read on my phone). I recommend you check the ones at the stores - check the National Geographic magazine on it, and you'll get a good idea of what it can do. I've replaced watching TV with reading books and magazines on my Nook Color.
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
raymiles
raymiles began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, MacBook
Many rumours that a new iPad might have a 7" screen
raymiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymiles View Post
Many rumours that a new iPad might have a 7" screen
I doubt it:

Jobs and 7" tablets
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
i don't own a NC, but have auditioned one at BN and have also seen the touche and the iPad.

to me, the NC is not as high rez or "crisp" as the other two, but the resolution seems more than adequate as a reading device. it seemed fine for www browsing also, although i think if the primary purpose was for the www one of the apple products might be better due to the higher resolution.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you really like your iPod Touch 4th gen, then get an iPad. You will love it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
Jowi
Connoisseur
Jowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneJowi makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Thanks! I went in to see the NC at Best Buy and it was not working - for some reason it wasn't getting power. It has a few words on the screen that said the battery was too low to power up, and if those letters are how they look when it's on, then I'll stick with my iPod - they looked about like the letters do on the iPod 3. I have decided to wait and see what comes out iPad-wise in the next several months.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Probably as reliable as Jobs' quotes before about "people don't read".
Wouldn't be the first time, Apple turns by 179 degree.
Success of Samsung Galaxy Tab might have changed Apple's perception of the market.
Size aside, we can be pretty sure, iPad 2 will have:
- Better/bigger speaker.
- Better (Retina?) display.
- Camera(s).
- Maybe preinstalled SIM (being activated on demand).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #12
waffleman
Enthusiast
waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowi View Post
Thanks! I went in to see the NC at Best Buy and it was not working - for some reason it wasn't getting power. It has a few words on the screen that said the battery was too low to power up, and if those letters are how they look when it's on, then I'll stick with my iPod - they looked about like the letters do on the iPod 3. I have decided to wait and see what comes out iPad-wise in the next several months.
Too bad it wasn't working. I've heard alot of e-readers have been molested at Best Buy and do not work. The best place to try them out is at Barnes and Nobles or Books a Million where they always have 2-3 for people to try out, and a knowledgeable person to show you how it works.
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowi View Post
hmmm by basing your final decision on a non working unit sort of tells me your mind was already made up before hand Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of testing the waters outside of the Apple realm and aren't to sure if you really want to venture out.

If not the case I would suggest going to a BN store and spend some time with it. Find the different settings for the brightness, backgrounds, font/text sizes etc, and play around. I think you will be pleasently surprised.

I brought my nook color into our local Apple store just for a compare and contrast, and even the Apple sales rep was quite impressed with the screen on the nook color.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if you are looking for a nook color, forget it. Wait and get the new Motorola Xoom tablet. That will be a serious contender to the iPad. And it's the first good Android tablet worth buying.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #15
Jowi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
hmmm by basing your final decision on a non working unit sort of tells me your mind was already made up before hand Sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of testing the waters outside of the Apple realm and aren't to sure if you really want to venture out.

If not the case I would suggest going to a BN store and spend some time with it. Find the different settings for the brightness, backgrounds, font/text sizes etc, and play around. I think you will be pleasently surprised.

I brought my nook color into our local Apple store just for a compare and contrast, and even the Apple sales rep was quite impressed with the screen on the nook color.
I just don't have a bn that is close enough to reasonably drive to. Actually, I'd just order one with the return policy, nut I've read that bn.com makes returns difficult, is that true?

Can anyone tell me if the text that says the battery is too low to power up uses all the pixels? Because if it does, that's all I need to know. After using my iPod Touch 4g, looking at the 3g looks really bad - like all I see are dots. I just want to see how the NC compares side by side.

I didn't "make up my mind" before I even asked the question. I even got a bn credit card to use when I ordered it, back before I read stuff about them being hard to return to. Anyway, at this point I am planning to wait to see what Apple has to offer with the next iPad.

Another thing that factored into my decision is a lot of quality issues I read about and the plasticy feel of the NC. I'll Admit, I like metal and glass (vs plastic)

If anyone has both, I'd LOVE some macro shots of the text on both! Seeing comparison shots like that pushed me to upgrade my iPod, and I'm so glad I did.