Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
Question organise my books

just read on an old thread i can put books by other in folders in the documant folder

my question is

1. Can i put prc and mobi in there own folders
2. Can i also put a sub folder in the document folder ( sian favs)
currently using a kindle 3 and my document folder has mobi , prc and azw all together so looks like i have 3 copys of everything

3. have a few craft ( crochet ) patterns i need to keep separate but need quick access to and these are somewhere in my kindle

I would like to organise the books etc better for when i get my voyage

Any help would be great as currently my kindle libary is in a mess.
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:18 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by sian View Post
just read on an old thread i can put books by other in folders in the documant folder

my question is

1. Can i put prc and mobi in there own folders
2. Can i also put a sub folder in the document folder ( sian favs)
currently using a kindle 3 and my document folder has mobi , prc and azw all together so looks like i have 3 copys of everything

3. have a few craft ( crochet ) patterns i need to keep separate but need quick access to and these are somewhere in my kindle

I would like to organise the books etc better for when i get my voyage

Any help would be great as currently my kindle libary is in a mess.
Question 1 - you can only send mobi to your kindle using email or send to Kindle. If you side load via USB you can use mobi or AZW3. PRC is not accepted, you need to convert those to mobi or AZW3.

Question 2 - no you cannot have sub folders, just collections. There is no Document folder or any such thing, the Voyage is an ereader, not a tablet or pc.

Question 3 - not sure how you'd convert a pattern but again they need to be in the same formats as mentioned in question 1. Assuming you can do that just call a Collection Kniting Patterns and put them in that collection. You can have as many collections as you want.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Question 2 - no you cannot have sub folders, just collections. There is no Document folder or any such thing, the Voyage is an ereader, not a tablet or pc.
I know what you're trying to say here, Josie: that the Kindle won't display folders on the home page. But you can of course store your books in folders within the "documents" folder on the Kindle. On mine, for example, I use a folder arrangement:

documents \ author name \ book name

This makes it a lot easier to see what files are associated with what book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I know what you're trying to say here, Josie: that the Kindle won't display folders on the home page. But you can of course store your books in folders within the "documents" folder on the Kindle. On mine, for example, I use a folder arrangement:

documents \ author name \ book name

This makes it a lot easier to see what files are associated with what book.
How do you do that Harry? You've got me confused.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can create whatever folder structure you want to under the "documents" folder in the root of the Kindle's drive. The Kindle doesn't care: it just displays all the books in a flat list on the home page. But you can store the books in any folder structure that suits you.
Advert
Old 11-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
If you side load via USB you can use mobi or AZW3. PRC is not accepted, you need to convert those to mobi or AZW3.
Are you sure about that, Josie? I have got several PRCs on my Kindle, and I don't have any trouble opening them.

(This is on a Kindle 3. Maybe later models are different?)

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Are you sure about that, Josie? I have got several PRCs on my Kindle, and I don't have any trouble opening them.

Mike
Tbh I've only ever tried emailing them and they've always been rejected.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can create whatever folder structure you want to under the "documents" folder in the root of the Kindle's drive. The Kindle doesn't care: it just displays all the books in a flat list on the home page. But you can store the books in any folder structure that suits you.
I've always just created collections, tbh I have no need for any sub levels so collections work for me.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:

Mike
If I remember correctly--prc was an extension that was in use way back when Palm Pilots were popular. PRCs were data files and most (but not all) were actually in mobi format. So, if the prc is in mobi format, you should be able to open it on your Kindles, but if it is actually a different format it would need to be converted to either mobi or azw format first.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:

Mike
The Mobi format is indeed a PRC container file, and all Kindles will read it just fine. The old "Mobipocket Creator" tool generated PRC files.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I recently tried to download a prc file to my Voyage from the MobileRead kindle book list (which is on my kindle). It was rejected by my Voyage, which said that it won't download prc files. I don't remember this happening on my K3. I was puzzled.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
I recently tried to download a prc file to my Voyage from the MobileRead kindle book list (which is on my kindle). It was rejected by my Voyage, which said that it won't download prc files. I don't remember this happening on my K3. I was puzzled.
Load it via USB. That will work fine.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #13
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Thanks, Harry. I will try that. It still puzzles me though. They are getting really picky.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
is side loading when u tranfer from usb to voyage and other kindle
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sian View Post
is side loading when u tranfer from usb to voyage and other kindle
Yes, that's right.