Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
How do I edit a BBeBook?

Hi All,

I've just taken the plunge and bought a second 505 from Ebay - I love mine so much I'd be traumatised if it broke, so I've acquired a backup! The previous owner didn't delete their books from it and one of them won't open - it makes the reader crash and go into a re-boot. I think the problem is that page 1 is the full colour book cover, which the 505 doesn't like. Can anyone tell me which software I need to try and edit the file so I can remove this page? The file is a BBeBook but I can't convert it to another format because Calibre says there is no usable source format (??).
I've searched the forum and found plenty of posts involving BBebook as an output file, but nothing that will handle it as an input. Book Designer doesn't seem to handle it either.
Any help gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Does the book have the LRF or LRX extension? If the latter it's DRM-protected and you won't be able to do anything with it. If the former, Calibre should be able to convert it, or you can use command-line tool lrf2lrs that comes with Calibre to get editable XML out of it.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

It's an lrf (fortunately). I was directed to another bit of software (ABC....) which worked a treat - I converted it to an rtf then through Calibre into lrf and it works on the new Sony brilliantly!
I'm still confused as to why Calibre couldn't see the source file though - especially since it has no DRM. But then, I'm no techy, so probably wouldn't understand the explanation anyway!
Thanks .
Old 08-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
LRF -> RTF -> LRF? /me firebombs this thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
dickon25
Groupie

Jon, I agree with you!! I think this conversion thingy is a black art akin to alchemy. As long as I can get the d**n book to display so I can read it, I don't care what I have to do!!
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best way to do it is to convert to ePub, fix up the ePub how you want the eBook to look and then convert the ePub to something else if that is what is wanted.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote