Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
Sure. You could either have it always happen when next/prev page is pushed, or have it just happen when one or the other next page is pushed, or have a key combo like alt+next/prev page. You just need to send the alt-g keystroke in the script. For example, put this line in a script called \hotkeys\NEXTR.sh (to enable this when using the right next page key only):
Code:
send_keys WAIT ALT G
You could make more files if you want to map the same action to more keys, i.e. put the same code into \hotkeys\NEXTL.sh etc.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:08 AM   #17
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 4 (non-touch), Kindle DX Graphite, Asus Transformer
All right, then I really need to get this hack to work on my DX :P
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #18
Zanshin
Connoisseur
Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Zanshin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotherm View Post
send_keys WAIT ALT G
Ok, I've managed to get the hack to work but it seems that this script doesn't work for me. It's like it can't press ALT and G at the same time.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #19
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I never tried sending ALT+ or SHIFT+ with my send_keys macro. Sorry! Until I can fix it, use this script for NEXTR.sh or whatever key combo you want to map:
Code:
echo "sendalt 34">/proc/keypad
I think it will work without waiting at all, but if it doesn't, try:
Code:
send_keys WAIT
I must say it is nice that we have the kernel modules source code, so it is easier to figure these things out.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #20
Zanshin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotherm View Post
I never tried sending ALT+ or SHIFT+ with my send_keys macro. Sorry! Until I can fix it, use this script for NEXTR.sh or whatever key combo you want to map:
Code:
I think it will work without waiting at all, but if it doesn't, try:
Code:
send_keys WAIT
I must say it is nice that we have the kernel modules source code, so it is easier to figure these things out.
Woot, that worked!

It's a little weird to have a double flash when turning pages but no more ghosting.
Thanks a lot for your work.
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #21
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
It's a nice job.
But the thread title is Hotkeys for Kindle 2 ..

So is it compatible with new updates of Kindle 3 / Kindle DX / DXG ?

And can I execute a custom command-line with a hotkey ?
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #22
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
DX/DXG: Probably.

3: Not out yet.

Run anything from the hotkey scripts: Probably, haven't tried it though.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #23
isotherm
Connoisseur

Yes, you can do anything you can do from a /bin/sh script, including execution of arbitrary commands.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #24
meem
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Good idea with bad done.
After I tried it I saw it's not compatible with Kindle DX and it's very buggy with display there is a confusion and disturbance with "Error" word appears !

It must done by kindle_update_tool.py to make update package installer/uninstaller.

Check this thread: How to create packages for Kindle ..

Last edited by meem; 08-26-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #25
Zanshin
Connoisseur

It worked perfectly for my DX.
The difficult part was installing the usbnetwork hack. After that, I had no problem with the hotkeys hack. (of course, it would be easier with an installer)
Old 08-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #26
isotherm
Connoisseur

I'm afraid those threads don't really provide me enough information for me to figure out how to make this into an update. If there is a good summary somewhere, I will look into it sometime. I know that it would be more useful as an update package.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #27
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basically, you need to create a simple shell script that copy/chmod/symlink/whatever what you need (one for install, another for uninstall) to the root fs, and then you package all the needed files with the python packaging tool. (Not sure I'm making much sense here, you could also take a look at my packages in the fonts hack thread, the install/uninstall scripts & buildscript are there, and they're usually over-commented).

I can whip up a quick install/uninstall script & package set if need be. Although that'll have to wait 'til next week, since I'm busy this week-end .
Old 08-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #28
meem

Ok, We wait for you.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #29
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Here goes!

(Untested, but hopefully I didn't mess anything up ;p).
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle-hotkeys-1.0.N.zip (50.6 KB, 200 views)
Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #30
isotherm
Connoisseur

Excellent, thanks! I will try it out on my K2 later. Now that I see how the update packaging works, will you mind if I take it over and post it in the first post (leaving in place credit for you, of course)?

In the meantime, perhaps we should discuss what hotkeys should be installed by default (such as some of the ones I posted on the thread). I guess ALT plus the top row of keys can't be considered for hotkeys, as they give numbers on some devices? Should we add hotkeys for the symbols for these devices (e.g. SHIFT-ALT-Q gives exclamation point)? My impression is that it's already too hard to remember which number goes with each letter, much less which symbol.

I'm thinking I should include hotkeys to launch web browser (ALT-B) and to enable usb networking (ALT-N), as described earlier in this thread. I also hope to include a script for geolocation on US devices (ALT-L). Any other suggestions?