Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
rainbowgryphon
Reading Over the Rainbow
rainbowgryphon began at the beginning.

Device: none
New SF/Fantasy E-zine

Hello:

A rather strange thing happened just now. I heard about an SF/fantasy ezine, did a search on MobileRead Forums, and ... didn't find anything about it! So I figured I'd mention it myself. Hope this is the right place to do it.

Here's what they say in their submission guidelines, to give you an idea of what their style is:

FlagShip is looking for stories with a positive spin. We’re not Utopians. We realize that bad stuff happens, and not everyone that wears a white hat is a good guy. But science fiction and fantasy are primarily forms of escapism. We’re looking for places we’d like to escape TO. Consider us the modern equivalent of Astounding Stories circa 1950.

The first issue, which sells as an epub or PDF for $1.99, an MP3 file for $1.99, or both text and audio file for $2.99, is at http://sites.google.com/a/flyingisla...press/flagship. You can download a single story sampler in epub, PDF, or MP3 before buying.

Hope this is of interest to some people.

Rainbow

P.S. I'm totally not affiliated with these guys. I just know there are many SF/fantasy fans on these forums and thought this might be of interest.

Last edited by rainbowgryphon; 07-17-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Changed URL because the one I gave previously didn't offer the PDF sampler. Argh!!!
rainbowgryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
That looks interesting. Thanks for posting about it rainbowgryphon.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Norvaljoe
Norvaljoe began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Hey rainbowgryphon, Thanks for mentioning Flagship at FlyingIslandPress.com
I'm one of the guys trying to make this fly. We're trying really hard to create a quality product that people will consider a good value. We really don't know how to get it out to the people outside our own facebook and twitter contacts.
If you checked out our first issue, I hope you enjoyed it. I wrote the story "Ruby's Child" and narrated another on the audio titled "Affinity"
Thanks again.
Norvaljoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
rainbowgryphon
Reading Over the Rainbow
rainbowgryphon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norvaljoe View Post
Hey rainbowgryphon, Thanks for mentioning Flagship at FlyingIslandPress.com
I'm one of the guys trying to make this fly. We're trying really hard to create a quality product that people will consider a good value. We really don't know how to get it out to the people outside our own facebook and twitter contacts.
If you checked out our first issue, I hope you enjoyed it. I wrote the story "Ruby's Child" and narrated another on the audio titled "Affinity"
Thanks again.
Hi Philip,

Welcome to MobileRead. I was glad to point people on this forum to something that might interest them. Lots of SF/fantasy lovers on these boards.

I'm also a big fan of self-publishing endeavors. We used to be able to find these kinds of mags all over the place. It's no secret that venues for short stories are disappearing all the time, and the book publishing industry is getting worse and worse. I hope the explosion of ebook readers that we've seen this year will continue and open up new publishing possibilities for work that we wouldn't see otherwise.

This is a great place to keep up on developments in the world of ebook readers (and thus potential readers for your mag that you might not have considered). Also, are you aware of Smashwords? I think it's a popular self-publishing site. They do take a percentage of all sales, but I think it's a reasonable percentage. If you do a search for "magazine" on the site, you'll even find some in the SF/fantasy genre and can take a look at what they're doing. It might be worth considering as a way to expose your mag to potential readers, especially since they can offer the publication in multiple ebook formats (for instance, for Kindle devices).

Good luck with Flagship!

Rainbow
rainbowgryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Thanks for mentioning this. I love SF and never heard of this before.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert