Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #3841
cuse845
cuse845 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
PRS+ onto PRS 600 major problems

Hi: It was recommended I ask the question here from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...30#post2214430

I ended up running the flasher from the internal drive and then external drive on the Sony PRS600.

Now the problem is:
The flasher runme says.

....connecting
....checking recovery system
...error 601
...press any key to continue
which then just boots out

on the ereader: it says
updating firmware now
but it is just hung...how long should it take?

the computer recognizes drive I: the internal drive but does not recognize SD drives.
I cannot copy anything onto to drive I. It says"please insert a disk into removable disk ( I: )"

Please help
Thanks
cuse845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #3842
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
cuse845

As long as the computer "sees" the internal drive (with a single file !protected) you should be able to run the Sony stock-fw-updater or the PRS+Uninstaller.

Both to be executed on PC with Reader connected to USB, and should bring you back in a running condition.

The whole update-process should take not more then two (2) minutes, and nothing had to be copied onto the reader to perform the update.

Beside this general hints (I don't own a 600) I hope kartu or BenChen can help you out.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #3843
cuse845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
cuse845

As long as the computer "sees" the internal drive (with a single file !protected) you should be able to run the Sony stock-fw-updater or the PRS+Uninstaller.

Both to be executed on PC with Reader connected to USB, and should bring you back in a running condition.

The whole update-process should take not more then two (2) minutes, and nothing had to be copied onto the reader to perform the update.

Beside this general hints (I don't own a 600) I hope kartu or BenChen can help you out.
Thanks mark I ran the uninstaller and it works again.

Now how to get PRS+

I first turn off UAC...run the flash from the PC...and copy the PRS+ installer onto the internal drive?
Old 09-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #3844
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Glad your reader is back...

If not alread done download http://prs-plus.googlecode.com/files....1.01alpha.zip

Extract it to a folder on your PC
Extract PRSP_600_base_flasher_1.0_by_amutin.zip to another folder
turn off UAC and run "runme.bat" in the "PRSP_600_base_flasher" folder (extracted in the step before) with reader conected to USB. - This step has only to be performed once!

To be on the safe side, shutdown and restart your reader.

Connect to USB and copy the whole folder "PRSPInstaller" onto the internal drive.

Shutdown and restart again.
PRS+ 2.1.01a will be installed on restart.

All further update are done only by copying "PRSPInstaller" and restarting.

To check PRS+ version go to settings - about.

Good luck and have fun with PRS+
Old 09-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #3845
cuse845

Quote:
Connect to USB and copy the whole folder "PRSPInstaller" onto the internal drive.

Shutdown and restart again.
PRS+ 2.1.01a will be installed on restart.

All further update are done only by copying "PRSPInstaller" and restarting.

To check PRS+ version go to settings - about.

Good luck and have fun with PRS+
I installed 2.0.something and it worked. I tried to upgrade to 2.1.01a by copying over the "PRSPInstaller"...that didn't work though. It is just hanging again.

So I am just going to try and reset again. Flash etc. Is the 2.1.01a for PRS600?
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #3846
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
2.1.01a may have some problems, it's an alpha which means it's a test release... personally I usually wait for some nice kind early adopters to use the alphas and wait for at least a beta or preferably a release...

Also did you copy over the entire folder with the .sh command and PRSP installer folder in it?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #3847
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuse845 View Post
Flash etc. Is the 2.1.01a for PRS600?
Only if you downloaded the one meant for the PRS-600.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:50 AM   #3848
cuse845

Thanks for everyone's help. I got the newest software now.

I was hoping there was a screensaver program like on my 650 but I still don't see one. You can do a slideshow but is there any way to display the photo when you put it in sleep mode? This is a nice feature of the 650. Now when the 600 goes into sleep it is just a blank screen...can that be changed?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #3849
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

Of course this is one of PRS+ most often used features!
See: http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wi...#Standby_Image
and also check: http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/WhatsNewIn2_1_x

Goto Setting - PRS+Settings - Standby/Shutdown Image
(probably you will have to go to page 2 of PRS+Settings to access this)

You will have to put your photo(s) into /database/system/PRSPlus/wallpaper
The pictures are randomly chosen on standby.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:02 AM   #3850
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

dwanthny
and other users of older models

if you are still using your 300/505 and are comfortable with Beta-Packs or custom_builds, you may be interested in the extra-CSS tweaking options and Size-Popup-Menu for the 300/505.
For more info see here
Old 09-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #3851
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
dwanthny and other users of older models
Thanks for the heads up.

Since I have a 950 I just gave my 505 to my son to read between feeding the little ones. Two 300s are being used by my son in high school and my daughter in college. I'll have to see if my youngest son wants me to muck around with his device.

Alas my 950 is on the back burner since I got my Nexus 7. I didn't want to move to another device until I was sure it was going to be well integrated with calibre. Since the same developer that expanded the feature set of the Sony device interface plugin also just created the Calibre Companion Android app, the Nexus 7 is very well integrated with calibre.

Again thanks for your work and thinking of the older devices.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #3852
raiderkilo
Connoisseur
raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: PRS-350 "PRS+"
Quote:
dwanthny
and other users of older models

if you are still using your 300/505 and are comfortable with Beta-Packs or custom_builds, you may be interested in the extra-CSS tweaking options and Size-Popup-Menu for the 300/505.
For more info see here
Hi, how to install/implement CSS tweak to 2.1.01 for 300,is downloadable installer with CSS tweak available?
THX

Last edited by raiderkilo; 09-09-2012 at 03:27 PM.
raiderkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #3853
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderkilo View Post
Hi, how to install/implement to 2.1.01 for 300,is downloadable installer available?
THX
I think this is the page you want. The 6th from the top.

The equivalent Uninstaller (should you need it) is lower down on the same page.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #3854
raiderkilo
Connoisseur
raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: PRS-350 "PRS+"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think this is the page you want. The 6th from the top.

The equivalent Uninstaller (should you need it) is lower down on the same page.
I edited my post
raiderkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #3855
Mark Nord
2B || !2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderkilo View Post
Hi, how to install/implement to 2.1.01 for 300,is downloadable installer available?
THX
Epub-tweaking and Size-PopUp are NOT available as downloadable installer.
You have to build your own custom installer/beta-pack form the current repository.

See here how it is done.

ATM I have the code only tested as beta-pack on a SD-Card for my PRS-505, though beta from internal memory is possible for the PRS-300, too.
Surquizu reported some problems with an earlier custom install for the 505 but I hadn't the time to test myself.
So to be on the safe-side I suggest to try with a beta-pack ATM.

Last edited by Mark Nord; 09-09-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typo, suggest beta-pack