Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Bowhuntxx78
Readoholic
Bowhuntxx78 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 505, Kindle DX
Calibre for PRS 505

I have been getting all my e-books from the Sony site thus far and it is OK but does not have a lot of options to manipulate book titles and such. So i am thinking of downloading Calibre. I would like to maybe change some things in the title & add the actual pub date to read some books in chronological order and thought it might be nice to have them listed as such.

Anyone use it for such things as this and which version would i need?

Make sense or am i way off track with what Calibre will do?

Bowhuntxx78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
If you're buying books from the Sony site, you won't be able to do anything with calibre. The books you're buying are DRM'd, and are uneditable. For non-DRM'd books, calibre can edit the files pretty much exactly as you're wanting to do.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Bowhuntxx78
Readoholic

I think I am buying from the Sony site as I am fairly new at this e-book thing and this is the software provided when i bought the 505.... The books I have been buying have for the most part been authors, David Baldacci, Vince Flynn and Brad Thor....

Is there a consensus of a better place to get these of Authors at better pricing & format?
Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
I use Calibre when getting books from Gutenberg...I have downloaded approx 60 books and they were all free.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
Bowhuntxx78
Readoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
I use Calibre when getting books from Gutenberg...I have downloaded approx 60 books and they were all free.
Is the software user friendly and is there a certain version I should download to try?
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
If you're buying books from the Sony site, you won't be able to do anything with calibre. The books you're buying are DRM'd, and are uneditable. For non-DRM'd books, calibre can edit the files pretty much exactly as you're wanting to do.
I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that it was possible to edit the meta-data of DRM'd books too, now?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:21 AM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntxx78 View Post
Is the software user friendly and is there a certain version I should download to try?
Just choose your OS from here - http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download

The only thing to emphasis is that when you choose a disk area for its library, choose a new folder and import books into the program - it'll then take a copy and store them there, using it's own folder structure, leaving your originals unchanged, so you can evaluate it as needed without affecting your existing setup.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Calibre is very easy to use.
When converting to another format remember to save the project...converted book...at the end. It is not done automatically. I thought it saved automatically and I deleted the original formatted copy on its gui after converting only to find the project gone lol. I converted again then "saved". No problem at all.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Calibre is very easy to use.
When converting to another format remember to save the project...converted book...at the end. It is not done automatically. I thought it saved automatically and I deleted the original formatted copy on its gui after converting only to find the project gone lol. I converted again then "saved". No problem at all.
It's not automatically exported out of Calibre, but it does automatically save the converted formats. The issue is that it manages the multiple formats as a single item, so when you deleted what you thought was "the original formatted copy" via the GUI, you deleted both that and the converted format.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
It's not automatically exported out of Calibre, but it does automatically save the converted formats. The issue is that it manages the multiple formats as a single item, so when you deleted what you thought was "the original formatted copy" via the GUI, you deleted both that and the converted format.
Right, you want to delete the specific format from the "Edit Metadata Individually" pane, in the upper right formats box.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote