Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-25-2008, 02:20 AM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Report: A Kindle for college kids?

Amid reports that Amazon is working on new models of its e-book reader, the Kindle, one analyst says the online titan has an academic spin in mind.

Amazon sees a chance to cash in by marketing the Kindle to college students, according to McAdams Wright Ragen analyst Tim Bueneman, by way of Seattlepi.com reporter Andrea James.
A collegiate version could be just one of a number of potential Kindles-to-be, apparently. "There are already several new, improved versions of the Kindle in the works," Bueneman wrote in a note Friday, per James.
In July, the site Crunchgear reported that two new Kindles were in the offing: One would have the same dimensions as the existing device, along with an improved interface, and could arrive this fall, while the second would be larger and would come next year. The current 10-ounce Kindle, priced at $359, measures 7.5 inches tall by 5.3 inches wide and 0.7 inch deep.
Bueneman reported that one new version could well feature "improved interface operating controls. This has been an issue with some buyers."
Amazon reportedly is also downplaying some "extremely high estimates" on Kindle sales, according to Bueneman. The company is apparently referring to the likes of CitiGroup analyst Mark Mahaney, who earlier this month upped his estimate and pegged the Kindle to sell about 380,000 units in 2008. Mahaney said the Amazon gadget could be one of the hottest gifts of holiday season.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10024164-1.html
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I think this is a good idea overall. Textbook publishers lose soooo much money in ther resale market. And students give away their precious books, and the knowledge, when they resale...and they feel they have to since the books are soo costly.

What Amazon should intitiate is lower cost text books. Let's say 40% off. And it would have no resale market of course since it's on the Kindle. Students can afford the books, carry the books, and keep the books! Amazon gets their cut. The publishers make more money. Yey for everyone.

However, the Textbook Kindle screen needs to be bigger (does not have to be in color for the vast majority of text books), the navigation and folders need a revamped, and the page refresh needs to be faster.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Well, what someone needs to initiate is the sale of textbooks in digital format that you can download and not be required to read online. And in technical subjects. And not just a handful of titles. My guess is that getting there is an enormous hurdle on several counts and more difficult than the design of an etext reader.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
Becky21
Becky21 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I think using a Kindle instead of regular textbooks would be a great idea. Im currently in college and am required to carry 6 textbooks to one class..which is a hassle and not to mention i spent close to 250$ for 2 of those books so using a Kindle would help save money and would be much easier to carry around.

Becky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:03 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky21 View Post
I think using a Kindle instead of regular textbooks would be a great idea. Im currently in college and am required to carry 6 textbooks to one class..which is a hassle and not to mention i spent close to 250$ for 2 of those books so using a Kindle would help save money and would be much easier to carry around.

Speaking as a textbook author myself, I think it may be a little optimistic to expect large cost savings from electronic textbooks. The reason they are so expensive is that they are inherently costly to produce, and have very low sales (10,000 sales for a textbook would be regarded as a success - for a fiction book it would be a dismal failure). You might, perhaps, save $10 on the cost of printing, but that's about it; all the other costs are still there.

There would be a gain in convenience for the user, in terms of not having to carry around a bag of heavy books, but I don't think you could expect to save a lot of money.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
random50
Connoisseur
random50 doesn't litterrandom50 doesn't litter

Device: None yet
HarryT, most students resell *all* of their books. It would be far more lucrative for a publisher to sell a non-transferable copy, even at a steep discount.

It would also help to mitigate this nonsense of constantly releasing virtually identical "new" editions, which are blatantly just an excuse to try and get around the secondhand market. Less regular new editions would lower costs, too.
random50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Shipping the books around (old and new) has got to be a big factor in costs, beyond printing. Textbooks are large, heavy, and don't usually get stored in the bookstores between semester starts. So that's another potential source of savings with electronic versions.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
random50
Connoisseur
random50 doesn't litterrandom50 doesn't litter

Device: None yet
Here's a related link about the University of Texas' attempt at using e-books:

http://insidehighered.com/news/2008/10/07/ut

One striking stat - out of the potential 15,000 sales on the courses for which they offer ebooks, they sold a grand total of 55!
random50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #9
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by random50 View Post
Here's a related link about the University of Texas' attempt at using e-books:

http://insidehighered.com/news/2008/10/07/ut

One striking stat - out of the potential 15,000 sales on the courses for which they offer ebooks, they sold a grand total of 55!
Yes, but look at the options open to students. Print it out or on their computer. No readers, or ability to annotate.

And the price range they were talking about was 40-50% of the cost of the books.

I Don't know about you, but I could usually get back 50-70% of the cost if I resold a book, and there were no restrictions on its use. I could chose to keep it or 3 or 4 of us could share the book and the cost.

So I would say it was more a failure of the Process then the failure of e-books.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
DickyCheung22
Enthusiast
DickyCheung22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
It is a great idea overall, just think that it will be a big drop for the market of printing business.
DickyCheung22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #11
brontus
Enthusiast
brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.brontus is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, Kindle Fire, Aldiko on LG Optimus Elite
Harry, textbook ebooks already are sold at a steep discount compared to a print textbook. When I bought my macroeconomics textbook this semester, I spent $75 for the ebook compared to $130 for the new print text. $75 was even a bit cheaper than the used copies I could find (~$90) and on par with the textbook rental services. Of course, the ebook expires after 180 days, so you don't really buy an ebook textbook but rent it (at least on iChapters)

ED
brontus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Would take a much different Kindle to operate in a student environment, faster, more memory, beefier. Students are better off using a Netbook pc..they are already in the current Kindle price range
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
LOL that scared me at first, till I looked at the original post date lol. I was like another model by next fall already?
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #14
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think this would be a great move on their part
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
This would work more for non-science students who don't have to deal with equations, diagrams and things like that. If they made the Kindle cheaper and more sturdy it just might work...heck if they made any reader sturdier, cheaper, faster it might work for students...to compete with used book sales.

I'm a student but I use my reader for regular books and still buy my school books.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote