Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Help out a newbie

I've been searching the forums for quite a while, and I have to admit that I'm overwhelmed. I just ordered my Sony Reader today, and I'd like somebody to give me a "dummies" version of what I need to have.

I'm mainly interested in being able to convert documents to LRF format. I'm not going to touch PDFs until I get better, so that's not terribly important at the moment.

A couple of questions in particular:
1) Is there a "one program fits all" for conversions - or do I need to download several programs?
2) Which programs have a GUI?

Any other advice as to what I need to get going?

Thanks!
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Try libprs500. See my post in the "how to convert files" thread for some basic usage information. You can download libprs500 here. You'll need to use at least one command-line command to start up the beta GUI, but otherwise it's all point-n-click.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The two most popular programs, both free, are "Book Designer" and "libprs500". Book Designer works a little bit like a word processor - you can edit the document, set up titles, table of contents, etc, and then generate an eBook in any one of a dozen or so different formats, including for the Reader. "libprs500" is a straight conversion tool - it converts many different formats to LRF, but doesn't itself have any editing functionality.

Both are excellent tools which are popular with forum members.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote