Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Toahiba's new tablet has user replaceable battery

http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marke...rand-page.html

Any other current tablet/slates have an easily replaceable battery?

One reason I haven't bought any tablet/slate is the total lack of easily replaceable batteries. I mean these are MOBILE devices after all. In mobile device use we do run out of power from time to time, even on devices which hold a charge for a good 8hrs+.

While current devices might have OK battery life for the first 8-15 months they will begin to lose that capacity. Then being Lithium Ion batteries they will go dead all at once. Sure the life span if the batteries is fairly long but for people who need to recharge daily their devices won't really hold a useful charge after a couple years, or less if one needs to recharge a couple times most days.

So, just for the ability to quickly swap out the battery, for now Toshiba gets put on my watch list for a tablet/slate answer. I was let down when Asus did not include a user replaceable battery in the Eee Slate. I really like a 12" device but with the really short battery run time and no ability to swap the battery the whole portable side of the equation breaks down for me.

Might end up waiting yet another generation for basic features I took as a given.

Just wanted to pass along the Toshiba info. I know it's a Staples ad but the info is all there.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Hats off to them. I've always been stunned that manufacturers act like readers and tablets are disposable. And that we are so accepting of it.

I expect anything I spend 100 bucks on to work in 5 years.

Kinda wish I'd stuck to my guns on this (but I keep getting sucked in by clearance sales)
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
http://www.thetoshibatablet.com/ for more info.

It's $89

Edit: The battery is $89. Not the tablet. Even though it is a horrid 16:10 , I'd learn to love it for $89.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 04-25-2011 at 08:17 PM.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I've always been stunned that manufacturers act like readers and tablets are disposable.
I don't know that they view them as disposable; it's more that making it non-user replaceable allows them freedom to get creative with the way the electronics are packaged inside the case...leading in many cases to a thinner, lighter piece of kit.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I don't know that they view them as disposable; it's more that making it non-user replaceable allows them freedom to get creative with the way the electronics are packaged inside the case...leading in many cases to a thinner, lighter piece of kit.
I call hogwash, it's all about being cheaper to build in the battery; that and planned obsolescence. If it costs a hundred or so dollars to replace the battery in a nearly obsolete device, most folks will just replace the device with a shinier one.

You can blame Jobs for building a wildly popular smartphone with a non-replaceable battery, the president has been set!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
You can blame Jobs for building a wildly popular smartphone with a non-replaceable battery, the president
Freudian slip there?

Lots of companies do it now. Amazon, etc.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Freudian slip there?

Lots of companies do it now. Amazon, etc.
Nope, a dumb spell checker. Yes, lots of companies do, because they saw Apple get away with it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Actually, the only company that surprised me was RIM-I thought for sure they would give the Playbook a user-replaceable battery...because, well, they are RIM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Yes, lots of companies do, because they saw Apple get away with it.
Maybe it's also because they saw how much battery life Apple could get, along with a smaller, lighter, thinner and more durable packaging of their products, esp. in regards to drop-testing.

Or is that what you mean by "getting away with it"?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
RockdaMan
Banned

Consumers in general just don't seem to care about that anymore. It's like when PC's stopped coming with a floppy disk drive. Us techies screamed, but the world at large said "meh".
Old 04-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #11
kjk

Quote:
Consumers in general just don't seem to care about that anymore. It's like when PC's stopped coming with a floppy disk drive. Us techies screamed, but the world at large said "meh".
Slowly but surely. Remember when the biggest question was: "and how much does it cost to replace the battery when it dies?" whenever a new iPod came out?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
kjk

And for the record, the Nuvomedia Rocket eBook shipped with a non-user replaceable battery 3 years before the first Apple iPod.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Again you are drawing the wrong conclusions, I think. It is not that most people don't care, it is just that most people grudgingly accept what the powers that be have imposed on them. If everybody was fine with it, why do iPhone cases with add-on batteries sell so well? Why do external power bricks sell so well?

For a phone it is an absolute must for me, for a tablet I wouldn't consider an exchangeable battery that important, though.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-26-2011 at 06:02 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #14
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Hats off to them. I've always been stunned that manufacturers act like readers and tablets are disposable. And that we are so accepting of it.

I expect anything I spend 100 bucks on to work in 5 years.

Kinda wish I'd stuck to my guns on this (but I keep getting sucked in by clearance sales)
Well would you produce a product that would last a lifetime without the need of replacement. Think of this from the manufacturer point of view!
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Ok, I don't get it with people actually defending the idea of intentionally building a device w/o a user replaceable battery. WTF is wrong with you who think it is a good and reasonable idea!!!??? Seriously what is your damage?

And the whole idea that doing so makes the device thinner is using a ridiculous argument if you compare the size of this Toshiba device with the others, including the iPad. We are taking a few mm difference, that is all. In return you get a device that if you take care of it, will last you years and years. A heavy user will burn up a battery to the point where the remaining battery capacity is all but pointless in a much sorter time than other light users. So what you are saying is anyone who uses the device often should be forced to spend another $600ish just because the battery is worn out? I think that Apple does offer a battery replacement for a fee. Knowing them that fee is probably at least as much as the battery itself.

I swear too many people have no idea of the value of a dollar anymore. Or never have had to actually work for a living or been in a situation where these luxuries are all buy impossible to fit into the budget and when it can finally be purchased it has to last. Come off your ivory towers and mingle with the peons instead of uttering "let them eat cake" from your lofty position. Remember this, one day you will be one of those peons, even if just for a week, trust me, it will happen to you too.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote