Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
READ 100 BOOKS in 2011! The What Are You Reading Thread.

This is where we discuss the books we are currently reading ;o)
Old 01-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
What's wrong with this thread for current reading discussions?

It has, after all, got a bit of precedence (3.5+ years!) over this one....

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-05-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: whoops - it's 2011 now, isn't it? 3.5+ years, not 2.5+!
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I'm just starting Boomerang by Alan Hutcheson. The author is a member here and the book has great reviews at Amazon. Anyone read it yet? I only read a couple of pages before I fell asleep last night. I'll probably have to reread them tonight because I can't remember anything.

I have quite a few other books in progess that I can't get into and likely will never finish. Here are a couple of them:

Raising Jake by Charlie Carillo. It has really good reviews but I am halfway through and just can't get into it

A Simple Amish Christmas by Vannetta Chapman. Once again, it got really good reviews. I read lots of Amish books and I expect them to be somewhat lame but this one is super lame. I read these books specifically to mellow my mind but this one is numbing my mind.

Thankfully, I got both of these books while they were on free promo. If I had paid for them I would feel an obligation to finish. If anyone has read either one and they get better in the second half, please let me know.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
What's wrong with this thread for current reading discussions?

It has, after all, got a bit of precedence (2.5+ years!) over this one....
This thread is specifically for our reading group, "100 Books in 2011".
We are trying to get stickies or a sub-forum since the "group" feature does not allow for active discussion and has character limits.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I'm currently reading The Lion's Game by Nelson DeMille.

It's rather boring to me. I'm only reading it because my husband made a big stink about my reading habits (or rather the fact that I didn't want to read this book & he enjoyed it). It's almost 1000 pages and every single one of them is painful. I've been at 770 for a few days now and just can't seem to push forward.

Let me list my (major)issues:
  1. I hate the main character - John Corey - he's a rude jack/ss who thinks he's funny & seems to be a closet bigot (he's always making bad stereotype jokes)
  2. Though this book is marketed as a standalone, it’s actually book 3 in a 5 book series and there are several characters and actions that are mentioned but never introduced or explained
  3. The main antagonist - Asad Khalil - is too good of a killer/terrorist. There is no real suspense here! Khalil comes, he kills, and he leaves. There's no tension. No real thought that Khalil will be chased and caught. If any of you watch the anime show Bleach, just think of Cpt. Azin (sp?) and you'll get my drift. Khalil is all-powerful, all-knowing, and has a "sixth sense."
  4. It's boring! I've never read a "thriller" that I could put down and walk away from before. While it's not my normal thing, I'm thinking about DNF'ing this one. The author could have used some serious editing with a hatchet. There are at least 200-250 pages that could be cut.
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

On the other thread, I see that DixieGal has read The Perfect Woman.

Other than it being a book in a series, what are your thoughts on it? Anyone else? It's was a freebie that I also picked up and wondering if I should bother with it.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
kelliedn
Enthusiast
kelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with others

Device: Sony Touch Reader PRS-650
I think this should have gone in the other thread....sorry
Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
On the other thread, I see that DixieGal has read The Perfect Woman.

Other than it being a book in a series, what are your thoughts on it? Anyone else? It's was a freebie that I also picked up and wondering if I should bother with it.
You should read it. It had enough twists to make it seem new and fresh, something that makes me want to read the other books. The cop is a very sympathetic character. And everything is not revealed until the climax, so you will not know all of the details early in the book. I did not want to put it down. The author did a great job with pacing and exposition, so I kept wondering what could possibly happen next.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
You should read it. It had enough twists to make it seem new and fresh, something that makes me want to read the other books. The cop is a very sympathetic character. And everything is not revealed until the climax, so you will not know all of the details early in the book. I did not want to put it down. The author did a great job with pacing and exposition, so I kept wondering what could possibly happen next.
Thanks. I absolutely will read it. I wasn't sure if your review was positive or negative on the other thread. It sounded very good when I downloaded it so I'm glad to hear that it is.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Thanks. I absolutely will read it. I wasn't sure if your review was positive or negative on the other thread. It sounded very good when I downloaded it so I'm glad to hear that it is.
To be honest, my "official" review on the group thread is a reminder for myself. With the overabundance of good books, I find that I no longer re-read and forget which story goes with which title.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm reading the Argeneau Vampire series. Pure fluff but nice, light reading.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please don't post here. Things are still being sorted out. if we get the subforum, then these three threads can go away.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 AM   #13
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Moderator Notice
This thread is being closed and put on hold. Please see this post.
Closed Thread