Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #16
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStyle View Post
I have to say I'm really surprise that e-ink technology has been around for so long and yet, not much improvement. E.g. compare to smartphone's screen, is now already 6.44" on the Z Ultra but e-reader still stuck between 5" to 7". Only recently, we saw a couple of 9.7" e-reader starting to pop up. Manufacturers should wake up and compete with smartphones and tablets. Otherwise, one day, no one will buy it.
You made this oldster chuckle today! Has e-ink really been around all that long compared to paper books? And how much *improvement* have we seen lately to paper books? Oddly, people still buy paper books too, though the market is clearly changing.

Pretty sure I've not seen much in the way of size increase in the mass market paperback...

Mind you, I like my slightly larger Kobo Aura. A lot. But I had to laugh at e-ink being around for *so long*. It seems so short a time to me!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #17
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Device: KOBO Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
But I had to laugh at e-ink being around for *so long*. It seems so short a time to me!

Well, you can laugh as much as you like and still doesn't bother me.
DStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #18
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStyle View Post
Well, you can laugh as much as you like and still doesn't bother me.
Don't mind me, it was just the idea of e-ink being around a long time. I grew up when microwave ovens were a new thing.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #19
DStyle
Connoisseur
DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.DStyle knows what's going on.

Quote:
Don't mind me, it was just the idea of e-ink being around a long time. I grew up when microwave ovens were a new thing.

Welcome to the 21st century.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #20
graycyn
Wizard

You know, I looked it up, the e-ink brand tech has been around longer than I thought, but actual use in readers, not quite a decade yet.

I'm interested to see where it goes. My fear is that most folks will find that reading on a phone or tablet is OK by them and e-ink will eventually fade. Hopefully not too quickly though.

I may be getting older, but I love my gadgets! I remember my first computer, a Tandy 8088 from Radio Shack fondly. It was still going strong a decade after I bought it when I donated it to the Salvation Army.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #21
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
I may be getting older, but I love my gadgets! I remember my first computer, a Tandy 8088 from Radio Shack fondly.
I never subscribed to the belief that we outgrow our interests anyway. My first real computer was an Amstrad CPC in '84, when I was a teen, and I have never shed the fascination with the technology. I still get excited about new gadgets ust like I did when I was a boy (maybe more so, because I can actually buy stuff I want!), and I have zero plans to ever change that.

Same with video games. I loved those back on the Atari 2600 when pixels were fist-sized, and I still get all hyped up over some upcoming game releases. Games shaped my career, and they keep me young and open-minded and mentally stimulated.

If anything, remembering 70s an 80s tech makes one appreciate the new stuff even more. I'm still all over how mind-boggling fantastic and awe-inspiring tablets with touchscreens are!
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #22
graycyn
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
If anything, remembering 70s an 80s tech makes one appreciate the new stuff even more. I'm still all over how mind-boggling fantastic and awe-inspiring tablets with touchscreens are!
Oh yeah, I am so totally impressed with my new Nexus 7! Also loving the Kobo Aura screen, though my Sony T1 is sticking around for proofreading and annotating.

It's a great world we live in!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #23
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
you are definitely asking for an LCD tablet

eink ereaders are for, well, books proper, not magazines or comic books
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #24
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
1) Ebooks available - computers, manga and magazines
Definitely tablet. Magazine experience is not very good on ereaders and most don't even have color
Quote:
2) Budget - less than $800
For $800 you could buy both with plenty to spare.
Quote:
3) Able to read long hours without recharging.
The consensus here would be ereader. Depending on the brightness levels, you can read for 8-12 hours on a tablet before needing recharging. Generally speaking, you won't have to charge your ereader more than once a week.
Quote:
4) Prefer larger screen.
There are more options for large screen tablets than ereaders.
Quote:
5) Color screen will be a plus.
Tablet
Quote:
6) Most of the readings will be done at night.
Most ereaders these days come with fronlights, so both. However, if you will mostly be reading at night, that elimates one of the major advantages of ereaders, the ability to read in bright light.

Quote:
Any suggestions?
I would suggest one of the cheaper 9+ inch tablets. The kindle fire hd 8.9, the nook hd+ if you can get it in New Zealand, the samsung galaxy 10.1 inch, or the Asus memopad 10.1 inch.

There are also more pricey options at $500+ in the google nexus 10 and ipad, but if you are primarily going to be reading on the tablet the extra expense won't be worth it.

P.S. When reading at night, will you be in bed? If so, the weight of the reader might also be an important factor.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 08-15-2013 at 03:34 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #25
DStyle
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
P.S. When reading at night, will you be in bed? If so, the weight of the reader might also be an important factor.
Thanks for the advice. I would probably need both. Tablets technology grows faster than e-ink reader but I still have faith in e-reader. I will wait till year end before I decide which to buy. Kobo, Kindle and Sony are coming out with new devices soon. See what they will offer.

During week days, most reading will be done before sleep, not on the bed. During weekend, any time of the day.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #26
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Based on your requirements a tablet sounds like the best fit. However for reading of pure text for many a dedicated ereader is the best device. I'm not sure where you live but maybe of your budget allows you could get a cheap tablet and a cheap ereader so you'd have the best of both worlds. The nook eink devices and tablets are on sale in several regions at the moment.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #27
DStyle
Connoisseur

True. At the moment, I will get an e-reader 1st. Then, if I'm not satisfy, will get a tablet sometime next year.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #28
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
You need both.

Ereader for text with no color, yoyr eyes will thank you

Tablet, for comics, magazines, color in general. The problem is i think the correct size is 13'' and there are few models in that size.
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #29
DStyle
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchamaco View Post
You need both.

Ereader for text with no color, yoyr eyes will thank you

Tablet, for comics, magazines, color in general. The problem is i think the correct size is 13'' and there are few models in that size.

Have decided to go for Aura HD. Going to order it next week. Tablet, soon.