Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
Jbthompson
Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
Mine is like that too.
Well i requested a replacement, will be here tomorrow. I'll see how it compares. Hoping its not worse!
Jbthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfosterart View Post
Are all these problems just with the light on? If I have the light at its lowest setting and a reading lamp or daylight will the problems disappear?
In that setting you will not see the blotches of varying hues but without lighting the display is generally darker, with less contrast than other Kindle models, IMO. I fail to see the point of buying a PW if one does not intend to use the light.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #18
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
In that setting you will not see the blotches of varying hues but without lighting the display is generally darker, with less contrast than other Kindle models, IMO. I fail to see the point of buying a PW if one does not intend to use the light.
Exactly. For me, without the light the contrast is worse. At a setting of about 12 it becomes "paper white" in a moderately lit room, and there are no blotches. But when used in the dark, the blotches come out and that's the primary reason I wanted a KPW; to read in the dark.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
Jbthompson
Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jbthompson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Exactly. For me, without the light the contrast is worse. At a setting of about 12 it becomes "paper white" in a moderately lit room, and there are no blotches. But when used in the dark, the blotches come out and that's the primary reason I wanted a KPW; to read in the dark.
Agreed, I bought my PW to read in the dark, and its just so blotchy in a dark room. I hope my replacement is better.
Jbthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #20
davidfosterart
davidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with othersdavidfosterart plays well with others

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks, I know we are paying the extra for the light, but at least it can look as good as a normal kindle in the daylight. If I got a bad one was going to get the basic kindle but might keep if it isn't too blotchy. Suppose it is like reading a real book you had dropped in the bath and dried it out, that would be blotchy
davidfosterart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #21
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
Mine came on Tuesday and I'll give it through the weekend to see if my eyes adjust but I have the same problem - the contrast is better than my Sony 350 with the light turned all the way down, but I feel like I have vision problems with the light on, which is why I bought the PW. There's a blotchy look to the contrast between the screen and the text that is distracting to me when I'm reading.

I'm going to return mine without requesting a replacement and wait for the technology to improve or for them to fix the problem.
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #22
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
In a bright room with light level 12 for example.

Does the paperwhite better contrast than the Kindle 4?.

thanks for your attention.
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 AM   #23
oldbook
Enthusiast
oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oldbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Any comparison between an K4NT and the KPW under normal room light conditions and under a reading lamp (same light conditions used for real books) ?

Most reviewers test in the dark
oldbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #24
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I can tell you that there is almost no difference between Kindle 3 and PW with light off on my unit. PW actually has better contrast than my Touch, but K3 also had better contrast than Touch.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #25
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbook View Post
Any comparison between an K4NT and the KPW under normal room light conditions and under a reading lamp (same light conditions used for real books) ?

Most reviewers test in the dark
K4NT 2012 wins hands down. Unfortunately.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote