Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
GameMisconduct
GameMisconduct began at the beginning.

Device: ECTACO Jetbook
Question Public Library

Less than a week ago I got my jetbook original. So far I absolutely love it, but I do have a question about public library ebooks. I had heard that some public libraries offer ebook rentals. Does the jetbook original support this? If yes how do I go about getting these ebooks?
GameMisconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Public libraries use Adobe Digital Editions DRM (ADE DRM) which the Jetbook doesn't have. Ectaco is supposed to be releasing new firmware for the Jetbook Lite sometime this month which will incorporate ADE DRM. I imagine they will do the same for the Jetbook. The Aluratek Libre has ADE DRM now.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Linda!
Enthusiast
Linda! has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
When I first was shopping for an e-reader, I thought being able to read ebooks checked out online from public libraries was very important. But the more I found out about these ebooks the less important it became. The number of ebooks most public libraries have is relatively small and there are waiting lists of people wanting them.

For me this is no longer an important issue. I do like to check out audio books, and there is a much larger selection of of these books available.

If libraries took ebooks more seriously, then it could become important. I dont like DRM anyway and try to stay away from it.
Linda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
AmandaMarie
AmandaMarie began at the beginning.

Will Jetbook Lite work with my public library's Overdrive system

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodPeople View Post
Public libraries use Adobe Digital Editions DRM (ADE DRM) which the Jetbook doesn't have. Ectaco is supposed to be releasing new firmware for the Jetbook Lite sometime this month which will incorporate ADE DRM. I imagine they will do the same for the Jetbook. The Aluratek Libre has ADE DRM now.
I see that you mention that the new firmware for Jetbook Lite will be released later this month, will that then make it able to work with my library's Overdrive downloadable ebooks?

Here is a link to the formats that the library says Overdrive uses
http://ocls.lib.overdrive.com/709655...StartGuide.htm

I am interested in buying the Jetbook Lite for my two sons (ages 13 and 10) to do their daily reading on. I will mainly be using it for books from Gutenberg/Internet Archive, but if it is also able to utilize the library books that would be great.
Plus, I am having a hard time resisting the sale at Newegg this weekend on it.
AmandaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
AM, experience has shown that one (meaning me (!)) should never believe that a firmware upgrade is in the pipeline. It doesn't exist until the day it is available to the public. I would recommend that one should never buy a device because of an anticipated firmware upgrade.

That said, Newegg's $99 offer makes the JBL, in my eyes, a good value just for public domain books alone.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
AmandaMarie

Thanks GA Russell. I just bought two, and even if the firmware update doesn't come, you still can't beat the price.
Oddly though, the discount code JETBOOK5, would only take $30 off of one of the two that I was trying to order. So I had to order each one separately in order to get the full benefit!
Old 04-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
There is a wealth of good reading available via Gutenberg/Manybooks and google books public domain books.

At 100$ that is an awesome price for a very nice reader to read all those public domain books on. Add 10 $ for a SD or SDHC card and your set.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
lmittell
Enthusiast
lmittell began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3, Jetbook Lite, iPhone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
AM, experience has shown that one (meaning me (!)) should never believe that a firmware upgrade is in the pipeline. It doesn't exist until the day it is available to the public. I would recommend that one should never buy a device because of an anticipated firmware upgrade.

That said, Newegg's $99 offer makes the JBL, in my eyes, a good value just for public domain books alone.
They must have sold out the bargain units; all I could find on Newegg was the usual $130 price. Or I may not have been clever enough with my search terms. If you can still find it, could you post a link?

Larry

Edit-- Never mind, I found the link in another thread.

Last edited by lmittell; 04-10-2010 at 03:55 PM.
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
AmandaMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmittell View Post
They must have sold out the bargain units; all I could find on Newegg was the usual $130 price. Or I may not have been clever enough with my search terms. If you can still find it, could you post a link?

Larry

Edit-- Never mind, I found the link in another thread.
Well if not, here it is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-010-_-Product

You have to enter the promo code of Jetbook5 at checkout. This is good until 4/12.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
One of the major reasons I got my alurtek libre pro because it support drm books , I live in LA county so there a decent variety best seller available for the price of a library card which isnt a bad deal in my mind , Yes free books are nice but there are some more modern book available I wouldn't mind read once and not owning..... So library support in my book is nice to have.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post
One of the major reasons I got my alurtek libre pro because it support drm books , I live in LA county so there a decent variety best seller available for the price of a library card which isnt a bad deal in my mind , Yes free books are nice but there are some more modern book available I wouldn't mind read once and not owning..... So library support in my book is nice to have.
Haha, with a little know-how, you can remove the drm... I guess I'm used to saving money whereever I can.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Add 10 $ for a SD or SDHC card and your set.
Bill, I guess you know that I disagree strongly with your comment. Since buying my jetBook Lite, I have spent $55 on it, only $9 of which was for shipping to exchange it for another.

In addition to an SD card, I have purchased an SD card reader, 10 rechargeable batteries, a battery charger and two battery cases.

I think that it's all money well spent (except the $9), but I think that anyone who thinks that he needs to spend only $10 after buying his JBL will be disappointed.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
I agree with bob1xxx. I bought my libre also because of the overdrive library compatibility. In my library system the fiction books like vampire/romance and thriller stuff tends to be borrowed. But you can keep them on your hold list and the library will email you once your turn comes up. The nonfiction books are easier to obtain.

I am not a computer savvy person who can analyze lines of code on how to remove DRM. I saw a thread here in mobileread about removing DRM from epub and there were nearly 700 replies, my head began to spin. I am very glad I do not have to go through that!
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:41 PM   #14
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Bill, I guess you know that I disagree strongly with your comment. Since buying my jetBook Lite, I have spent $55 on it, only $9 of which was for shipping to exchange it for another.

In addition to an SD card, I have purchased an SD card reader, 10 rechargeable batteries, a battery charger and two battery cases.

I think that it's all money well spent (except the $9), but I think that anyone who thinks that he needs to spend only $10 after buying his JBL will be disappointed.
Well, I spent $0 extra after buying my jetBook-Lite. I already had MANY SD cards, battery charger (I have Canon Camera) and 4 AA rechargeable batteries.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:17 AM   #15
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Quote:

I spent $0.00 on stuff after I bought the JBL. I already had plenty of SD cards I picked up whenever they came on sale. Paid next to nothing for them. Had plenty of rechargeble batteries. Again, paid next to nothing for them because I always picked them up when they went on sale or clearance.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote