Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
k9cachers
k9cachers began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
help with Calibre

I think my intention of using Calibre is to track my books and when I have read each book (Month/Year). I started out synching my Kindle with Calibre which loaded all my Kindle books onto Calibre. I then used the Tags column to put the date I finished a book. However, there have been a few times that I wanted to change the date and hit delete. This deleted my book from Calibre. Some of these books I have deleted from my Kindle.
So.. my 2 questions are:
1. How can I get Calibre to show all books I own whether read or not, and
2. In the future, if I do not update Calibre as soon as I buy a book, how do I know which books on my Kindle are not on Calibre? I have tried to do this manually, since I only have 38 books, but it's too difficult. I haven't figured out a way to add a book and have it check for dups.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wondering if there is a way I could get all the books from my Amazon Kindle order page and somehow get that on to Calibre?

Last edited by k9cachers; 02-20-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: additional info
k9cachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cachers View Post
1. How can I get Calibre to show all books I own whether read or not
You could use a tag system like this:
Code:
Read: Feb 2010
Read: Jan 2010
Read: Dec 2009
To see books read in Dec 2009, type
Code:
tag:"Read: Dec 2009"
in the Search: field.

To see all books in your library, simply click the 'x' icon to the right of the Search field to clear.

Quote:
2. In the future, if I do not update Calibre as soon as I buy a book, how do I know which books on my Kindle are not on Calibre? I have tried to do this manually, since I only have 38 books, but it's too difficult. I haven't figured out a way to add a book and have it check for dups.
Best way to do this would be to change the way you download books. Instead of downloading to the Kindle, download to your PC, add it to Calibre, then transfer it to the Kindle. By making calibre the first stop, you're assured that you will always have your books in calibre before they go to the Kindle.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
k9cachers

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
k9cachers

Just realized that if I downloaded to the computer, then Calibre, then Kindle - it wouldn't work if I have 2 kindles on 1 account (2 different households).
Old 02-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you download from Amazon, you will be asked which Kindle you're downloading for. Specify the one in your household so that the downloaded version is properly encoded for that Kindle.

Make sense?

G
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
k9cachers

makes sense, but if I'm doing as you said and downloading to the computer first, then Calibre and then to my Kindle, how does it become available for the 2nd Kindle that does not have access to my computer?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
GRiker

You said two different households, so I presumed you meant managing books for only one of the two kindles.

Are you trying to manage books for both Kindles in calibre?

G
Old 02-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
k9cachers

No, I'm only managing for one Kindle, but I guess what I'm confused about is if I download a book to the computer first (rather than directly to Kindle) how does the other Kindle access the same book? The way I did it before by downloading to the Kindle the book would show up in the other Kindles archieved list.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
GRiker

The other Kindle would download its copies the same way it has in the past, presumably using Whispernet. Doing an intermediate download to the computer, (aka 'side-loading') to the first Kindle will not impact the second Kindle's access to books availble in the account.

G
Old 02-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
k9cachers

Got it. Thanks so much - I didn't realize that.
One more question for you - can calibre be on 2 computers (in the same house) and sync with each other - or would everything have to be done twice?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
k9cachers

Please excuse the 2nd question - i just did a search and found the answers to that so now I am going to try it
Old 02-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
k9cachers

Nothing is simple for me!! I tried changing the server port to 80 (from 8080) as I am using a Kindle, and it just goes right back to 8080. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong or what I can do?
Thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...reading-device
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #14
k9cachers

I don't know how to adjust the router to forward requests on port 80 to 8080 if that is what you are referring to.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9cachers View Post
I don't know how to adjust the router to forward requests on port 80 to 8080 if that is what you are referring to.
Your router manual/help page will have that information. Every router and brand is slightly different.

Port forwarding may be the Keyword.
Port forwarding is only needed for connections from outside of your local network (LAN). If you can share files/printers directly without using web services to provide help, you should be good to go.

Another thing that helps is to set a Static IP or reserved IP (It IS required for port forwarding). Again, the Router manual is needed for setting a Reserved IP (This is a good choice if the computer is portable and used on various networks. It allow DHCP to remain enabled and lets the router assign the same number when you attach to your LAN)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote