Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Soup-related accidents

Anyone ever spilled a drop of Scotch Broth soup onto the keyboard of a new Samsung 10 netbook and then finds the thing's kaput? If so -- is there an easy fix for a technodunce? Hoots toots the noo. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
nope - sorry - only in my lap (sans any techno boxes)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Sounds like time to visit the manufacturer's website for keyboard removal/disassembly instructions...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Hi!

Sometimes, it is useful put the device into a heap of rice. Rice absorbs water (all liquids) very well.

Hope this helps,

L.

Rice... I mean no cooked rice. Don't use risotto or paella!!
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Oh no!!

The rice idea seems to work..

see this post by hgosney..

from this thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgosney View Post
I have had success drying things out with rice.
Take a few cups of instant rice and put it in a sock and tie the sock closed, then take your reader and the sock of rice and put it in a ziplock bag.

Good Luck!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I can't help you but in the future it would probably be a good idea to eat alphabet soup and use the letters to spell out helpful reminders. That is what I do.

Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Add rice? You making a risotto out of it? (joke)

Yes with electronic devices they are generally somewhat forgiving IF you do not attempt to turn them on with moisture inside them. The rice thing does work I've seen an ipod which should have died been saved by using rice to absorb the moisture.

Another good trick I discovered a few years ago was salt to stop those redwine stains. Spill red wine, just drop a crapload of salt on it, seems to work!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks a bunch folks, but I don't wanna make a meal of it. I wish I'd known about the rice trick for earlier accidents with other laptops that involved beer, wine and whisky, Leandroid. This time, though, it really was soup; kinda greasy (a bit like Madam Broshkina's offering but less literary). So I don't think that would work. I'll do some messing today and report back. Also, I didn't realise until I hit the Samsung forums earlier that you can buy replacement keyboards for the NC10. But I'm pretty ham-fisted and don't think I could do the job without causing even more problems. Cheers. Neil
Old 11-05-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr

This morning -- just before the Samsung chap came to take my NC 10 away for repair -- I thought I'll just give it one more run. And it was fine. On the third day, it had come back from the dead; a miracle or what? The Samsung man was understanding and left empty-handed but for a wee tip and a tummy full of cafe cognag. So everyone's happy. I guess the keyboard just needed a little drying time. If anything like this happens to you, it might be worth waiting a while before panicking to see if nature takes its course. Thanks for all the generous advice. Neil
Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
I'm glad that all ended well.

Maybe the soup was really greasy and the laptop just needed time to digest it!
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm glad it worked out, but please remember the moral of the story.

"Soup in the mouth is infinitely better than soup in the keyboard."
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #12
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm glad it worked out, but please remember the moral of the story.

"Soup in the mouth is infinitely better than soup in the keyboard."
But that goes against the classical MobileRead saying.

"Don't have soup in your mouth when reading posts in the Lounge"
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
But that goes against the classical MobileRead saying.

"Don't have soup in your mouth when reading posts in the Lounge"
Yes, but to be fair that is only because it should be tea....
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #14
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Yes, but to be fair that is only because it should be tea....
Guess we need to change it to:

"Don't drink and read loungeposts at the same time"

Not as catchy though.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #15
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Guess we need to change it to:

"Don't drink and read loungeposts at the same time"

Not as catchy though.
Perhaps we could adapt the ZCD maxim:

"Read first, then drink"
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote