Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Which batch number do you have?

[HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Device Info

It's under serial number. XXXX XZZZ XXXX XXXX, where ZZZ is your batch number.

Mine is 501 and I bought it as soon as it was released.
Mine is 503.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Mine is 503.
Mine is 502. I don't think that matters much. Mine is great.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Mine is 502. I don't think that matters much. Mine is great.
I think (though I can't be sure) that the 5 means it's the 5th model of Kindle (remember Kindle Keyboard is also known as the K3) and the 1, 2, or 3 would possibly stand for which lot or run of the K5 the particular unit is part of. With most new tech there is bound to be some percentage that look ok but have some flaws that aren't detected til later. Even quality control can't always weed out all the defective units I'm sure. It's not always best to be the one to get the new toy 1st. Of course I could be wrong as to what the #'s mean but that's my guess.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I just received a new PW - batch 603! (The second string of numbers is 1603) And the screen is gorgeous! Uniformly white! And the shadows at the bottom of the screen where the lights are located is quite minimized!

My first PW was a 501 batch [I ordered it immediately] - the shadows at the bottom of the screen are quite pronounced, and the screen was not uniformly white - more "muddy" appearing. I kept it because it had none of the color splotches that other members had described.

When I place the 2 side by side with the same light setting, the improvement is quite obvious. I'll try to take some pictures this weekend & post them here.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I kept it because it had none of the color splotches that other members had described.
So you're keeping both?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #21
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
So you're keeping both?
Yeah - I'm so attached to reading on a PW, that trying to read on my old K3 is no longer as comfortable to me. So I'll keep the original PW as a backup.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah - I'm so attached to reading on a PW, that trying to read on my old K3 is no longer as comfortable to me. So I'll keep the original PW as a backup.
I also plan to hold onto my old ereader. Though I have found myself trying to turn pages on the K3 by swiping my finger across the screen. It's amazing how sharp pictures are on the Paperwhite. And I do have the Winter Contest Mystery loaded onto the Paperwhite. Playing checkers is pretty simple too. With the K3 you have to use the controller to move about and choose the piece to move. With Paperwhite it's just a matter of choosing which piece to move right on the board.

Last edited by crich70; 01-24-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #23
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I just received a new PW - batch 603! (The second string of numbers is 1603) And the screen is gorgeous! Uniformly white! And the shadows at the bottom of the screen where the lights are located is quite minimized!

My first PW was a 501 batch [I ordered it immediately] - the shadows at the bottom of the screen are quite pronounced, and the screen was not uniformly white - more "muddy" appearing. I kept it because it had none of the color splotches that other members had described.

When I place the 2 side by side with the same light setting, the improvement is quite obvious. I'll try to take some pictures this weekend & post them here.
Yay! I look forward to pics!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

Jealous! Sounds like the one I saw at Best Buy last week, though it was hard to judge due to the florescent overheads, it looked fantastic! I don't need another one though....4 eink readers in the house at this time!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Congrats! You're the second person I've heard of with a 603 and they said the same thing, they said the screen was amazing. *has screen envy*
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #26
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It makes me wonder if they may possibly have found a solution at last. I'm expecting mine tomorrow, the one they say should be perfect, but mine is a 3G, so I don't know if that will make a difference. If it has problems, I'm going to ask Andrew for a 603 Wifi, just to see. I don't need the 3G, they upgraded me free due to all the problems.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #27
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I wonder whether that's the same Andrew who was so very helpful for me last night, figuring out why I was getting the special offers, even though I'd paid to opt out of them. he was fantastic - i was very impressed.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #28
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I wonder whether that's the same Andrew who was so very helpful for me last night, figuring out why I was getting the special offers, even though I'd paid to opt out of them. he was fantastic - i was very impressed.
Maybe! Andrew is great, for sure. Super nice and so helpful.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #29
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Maybe it's a sort of a promotion, or a badge of honor. Only the very best at customer service get to be named "Andrew"

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #30
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Maybe it's a sort of a promotion, or a badge of honor. Only the very best at customer service get to be named "Andrew"

Shari
His last name wasn't Martin was it?