Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #136
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by chokra View Post
This might be something as a side note, but has anyone experienced problems with the resolution on the PE? I have been using it few hours a day and its giving me a headache and strain on my eyes is horrible. I have asked my sis who I bought one for also, she has not had any issues...just wondering if anyone else here has had any issues. thanks.
I have no such problem, but I use the e-ink side for reading anything of length and so far gaming, websurfing, or using checklists on the LCD is fine. Can you compare yours with your sister's? There's always a chance yours is faulty . . . or you may need new glasses.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #137
chokra
chokra began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge 7
anyone know how to mess around with the refresh rate on PE?
chokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #138
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by chokra View Post
anyone know how to mess around with the refresh rate on PE?
That would most likely be limited by the hardware, and therefore not really changeable.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #139
immjg
immjg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I updated to ermine last week and I got a big system update screen a few minutes ago asking me to download the latest update now or later. Is there really a system update for ermine or is there something funky going on?
I had same problem, the autoupdate feature is located in Menu>Settings>eDGe Settings>Default Device Preferences>

No more nagging updates message!
immjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #140
dianekbr
dianekbr began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Hi everyone. I just got a Pocket Edge (from 1SaleaDay) and have tried numerous times to get it to update to Ermine, but nothing seems to work. I've read all 10 pages here and have tried everything listed (I think) with no luck. I've tried FAT and FAT32. I've tried downloading from the original link, the torrent one, and the dustyfeet one. I've tried a USB stick and SD card. I've tried holding the two buttons for 5 seconds, 7 seconds, 10 seconds, until the cursor starts flashing in the upper right corner, and longer. I've verified that the file is in the root of the USB/card and that it's labeled update.zip (not update.zip.zip). Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!
dianekbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #141
Filark
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi diane, welcome to MobileRead!

These may not be new ideas but here goes:

1. Have you gone as far as you can with the Update function? You should have Dingo 1.13. If you don't, there's a chance that will help.

2. Older, smaller USB sticks seem to work better for some people.

3. Try, try again. Sadly, it just sometimes takes several (or even many) tries for some unlucky people.

Good luck!! Hope it works soon for you!
Old 07-24-2011, 02:16 AM   #142
dianekbr

Filark, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have Dingo 1.13. And I'm using a small stick (only 1 GB) that's two or three years old. I've tried at least 30 or 40 times and am ready to pull my hair out! I guess I'm going to give up for the night and go to bed. Thanks again!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #143
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianekbr View Post
Filark, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have Dingo 1.13. And I'm using a small stick (only 1 GB) that's two or three years old. I've tried at least 30 or 40 times and am ready to pull my hair out! I guess I'm going to give up for the night and go to bed. Thanks again!
Are there any other files on the stick e.g. proprietary manufacturer autostart like items? If so, they might be interfering as they attempt to interface with the OS and the update initiates at the same time.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #144
dianekbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Are there any other files on the stick e.g. proprietary manufacturer autostart like items? If so, they might be interfering as they attempt to interface with the OS and the update initiates at the same time.
Nothing else, except that after the update fails, there is an empty folder titled "LOST.DIR". Thanks for the response!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #145
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
One quick thought. You do have the correct update file, there are 2 one for the PE and one for the EE.

Second thought. Is the download good? To check that see if you can open it on your PC.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #146
dianekbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
One quick thought. You do have the correct update file, there are 2 one for the PE and one for the EE.

Second thought. Is the download good? To check that see if you can open it on your PC.
Thank you!! I think I've finally found the problem, with your help!

Yes, I do have the PE file; however the download apparently is not good. When I try to open it on my PC, it says it's a corrupted file. The dustyfeet one opens fine though, and I've also tried that one several times.

The corrupted file came from Entourage's update instructions, and I downloaded it to the same PC as the dustyfeet one, which apparently downloaded fine. So I'm not sure how to get a good download of the file (I'm not super techy). Any suggestions?

Thank you!

EDIT: It's now updating!! Thank you, thank you! I tried the file from dustyfeet again and made sure that it opened on my computer and showed several zip files inside (as posted by a previous user). Finally!!

Thanks to all who answered!

Last edited by dianekbr; 07-24-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #147
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Glad you got it updating.

I think we will have to collect together a list, in one place, of all the things that should be checked when the update doesn't work.

Main problems so far.
Bad download.
Wrong renaming - update.zip.zip in stead of update.zip
Format and type of USB stick - only FAT or FAT32 and no autostart or other types of drive.
Wrong file.

Can anyone think of anything I've missed?
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #148
MeKeye
MeKeye began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
For you PE users, here it is: http://cdn.entourageedge.com/permine...zip.ermine-0.9
(the folder is 'permine' instead of 'eermine')
File sizes are different, so I'm pretty sure these are different, and if they are it probably matters. If Entourage yanks the files, post a shout here and I can expose on the web with a link.

Oh, and "Shark for root" looked interesting so I went looking. Slideme, AnAppStore, Amazon and Freeware Lovers all struck out. AppBrain is useless, and AndroLib doesn't have downloads. I ran the emulator to get at Market that worked.
If you want Shark, and don't have the emulator/market running, give a shout for that too. You have to root your eDGe to use it though. I haven't gotten around to having a friend rip me a copy of Market using the instructions I'm sure we've all seen by now.
Hi, I tried the link but the server isn't working. Do you know where I can get the perminie update for my pocket edge? Thanks.
MeKeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:32 AM   #149
Filark

Welcome to MobileRead, MeKeye!

Try http://dustyfeet.com/edge/. You want the "p-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip" file (I'm assuming you've read the directions on how to change the name and use it).

Hope that works for you!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #150
SatyrsLynx
SatyrsLynx doesn't litterSatyrsLynx doesn't litter

Well, I dun gettit... I'm sure you guys are sick of seeing the same thing over and over again. I don't see how following the instructions step by step isn't resulting in the update being applied.

I've read through this thread about 10 times. I'm not super techie, but I'm techie enough to follow the methods. I've tried both PE update files from dustyfeet's server, I've used 2 different USB drives, formatted both, and tried both FAT and FAT32 file systems. I've held the Menu & Rotate buttons through 2 dots plus flashing cursor, and even through 3 dots and flashing cursor. My PE is at Dingo 1.13, it sees the update.zip file on either drive before trying the update, after the update I have either just a LOST.DIR folder, or the folder and the update.zip file.

Guess I'm gonna walk away & try some other time. It works for me, I can read books, I can surf online, I just can't see any videos on youtube (which is a bummer, I had hoped to use this to entertain my son on our trip this weekend), but that will just have to wait.

Still gonna be a fun toy!

Edit: huh, I did it one more time, and success! This time I tried the armjam533.blogspot link off of the Tweaks sticky, reformatted my 1G USB drive to FAT again, renamed the file when downloading, then copied it over (before I had been renaming it on my USB drive, not sure if that was the issue or not).

I then verified that the update.zip file showed on the USB when plugged into my edge. Once again, the LOST.DIR showed, I deleted it, then unmounted and removed the USB drive, and shut off my PE. Put the USB back in to the PE, then used the menu/rotate keys while booting up, held them til I saw the flashing cursor, then released & waited. About 45 seconds later, the Updating screen came up, so I walked away.

I also plugged in the PE before I started the process, don't know if that made a difference.

Thanks again for having this forum available!

Last edited by SatyrsLynx; 07-26-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added method that worked for me; and again to correct my file source
SatyrsLynx is offline   Reply With Quote