Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Liz99
Liz99 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
After I loaded a fair number of books on my kobo I detached the unit from my computer. The "Please wait while your kobo ereader processes new content" appeared and then the bar froze at about ône eight of the way in. There was a full charge to the battery so I left it all night procesing. In the morning the processing bar still remained in the same position as I left it the previous night. I plugged it back into the computer and the light was red. Left it plugged in and was not able to get anywhere. I then detached it once again after about 2hrs and hit the reset button. It reset and I found that some of the books had transferred and appeared in my I'm reading list.
Now everytime I attached it from my computer, whether I transfer books or just to charge, it freezes on the "Please wait while your kobo ereader processes new content" screen. I then am forces to hit the reset botton once again to gain access to the reader. This seems a little extreme.
I also cannot find a strait answer on how to delete some of the books out of my I'm Reading section.
Can anyone help?

Last edited by Liz99; 08-13-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Liz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Is there any way you reached the max memory on the Kobo? Probably not ... Bit how are you loading books onto it?

Search this forum for "three finger" reset and try that. I might access the Kobo and delete all books, then add just one or two at a time to discover the problem file.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Check the filenames of the ebooks you transferred. I've heard that certain characters in the filenames can make the Kobo freeze on the "Please wait while your kobo ereader processes new content" screen. Make sure you only have alphanumeric characters.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
newkobouser
newkobouser began at the beginning.

when i was done reading, i tried to power off. i held the power button for 3secs...nothing. held it for 5 secs...nothing. held it for 8 secs....nothing. now it's frozen on the page i was reading. how do i turn it off?! HELP.
newkobouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Newuser: Do you know about the paper clip trick? Unbend a paper clip and insert into the tiny hole at the back - that does something like a reboot and should unfreeze your Kobo.

Is it possible you are out of battery? Does the screen change if you plug it in?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
billingd
Enthusiast
billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
This happened to me when an epub took a looooooong time to process, so that the battery went flat before the task completed.

The "fix" was to connect to the kobo to the PC; delete some epub files using the file manager and disconnect. After a few goes i found the problem file. I had a look at the file in sigil and found it had a huge .css with many thousand almost identical styles.

Similar problems have been reported in this thread.

Last edited by billingd; 08-17-2010 at 10:56 AM.
billingd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Billingd > Was that book a Calibre conversion? While I'm sure that the original source has all those styles, maybe Kovid can conflate the styles faster than Microsoft or Corel or whoever can fix their HTML export. At least we know who to talk to about Calibre
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Billingd > Was that book a Calibre conversion? While I'm sure that the original source has all those styles, maybe Kovid can conflate the styles faster than Microsoft or Corel or whoever can fix their HTML export. At least we know who to talk to about Calibre
Correct. There is also one good step in between. Sigil enables to see
separate files and change/remove them. One might simply delete css
file at all, save and put to calibre again. It makes new css file.
Zip and unzip are good also, but sigil is way cooler.
Another option could be of help. Calibre makes a number of pages to
keep the book. I think default is 128 kb. That is the way to load the
book faster.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
onewayherway
Enthusiast
onewayherway began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 505
I had the same problem and had to reset to factory settings. Now I load one book at a time to prevent this problem from happening again.
onewayherway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
4Foot
4Foot began at the beginning.

Liz99:

Happy I found your post, I had the exact same problem when I tried to transfer a number of ePub files over to my KOBO. I thought my KOBO was toast but then read on another thread ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83209 ) about this little tool, http://dl.thekidintheclock.com/u/514...oBulkFixer.zip called the KoboBulkFixer.

Now your mileage may vary but what I did was test this tool on a few files with various settings until I cleared up the frozen KOBO processing new ...... problem.

For me, it worked best to use the Kobobulkfixer on an epub file with the setting, "delete CSS entirely? checked. I then just added the book to my library in my Adobe Digital Editions desktop prog and then dragged them over to my KOBO.

Now they all open perfectly and read beautifully. I tried this with Calibre and to be fair may not have tested it enough. When using the "fixer" and Adobe worked I stopped searching for an answer. I had mine and my KOBO which I was about to abandon, works great once again.

Good luck

4Foot
4Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
magikmama78
Reading lots!!
magikmama78 began at the beginning.

I'm having the exact same problem. I tried loading on 11 books on to my kobo using Calibre. After ejecting the device it went to the processing screen and just stopped about 15% done. I reset it and none o fhe books where on my device. It started freezeing everytime I charge it, so I reset to factory settings and it is still freezing. I'm not PC whiz so can anyone help me with the with out me needing a degree to understand what your saying? Thanks!!
magikmama78 is offline   Reply With Quote