Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 08-01-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
billingd
Enthusiast
billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
Orwell, George: Fifty Orwell Essays. V1. 01 Aug 2010

A collection of essays by George Orwell, including pieces published in Inside the Whale; Critical Essays; Dickens, Dali and Others; Shooting an Elephant and other Essays; England Your England; Such, Such Were the Joys; A Collection of Essays; Collected Essays; Decline of the English Murder; Collected Essays, Journalism and Letters Volumes 1-4.

Sourced from a Project Gutenberg Australia book.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub orwell_fifty_essays_v1.epub (648.9 KB, 2058 views)
billingd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Fascinating, Bill. Thanks for the download and here's karma to ya. Did you ever read Christopher Hitchens on Orwell? Brilliant insight. Very best wishes. Neil
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
northernrunner
northernrunner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for the Orwell Essays. He's brilliant - eventually it would be fantastic to see all is essays available in ebook format. I own a Kindle 2 and have been trying to convert the EPUB file to PRC via Calibre without much success. The links in the TOC don't seem to work and it freezes the Kindle sometimes. Any tips or advice? Many thanks.
northernrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
billingd
Enthusiast
billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.billingd shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernrunner View Post
Thanks for the Orwell Essays. He's brilliant - eventually it would be fantastic to see all is essays available in ebook format. I own a Kindle 2 and have been trying to convert the EPUB file to PRC via Calibre without much success. The links in the TOC don't seem to work and it freezes the Kindle sometimes. Any tips or advice? Many thanks.
Which TOC is the problem - the TOC page or the ebook TOC?

I built the epub by hand - actually with sed, awk, emacs and makefiles - so there could well be problems. However I tested it with Adobe Digital Editions, Kobo reader, Sigil, the Mozilla epub reader, Calibre viewer and epubcheck.

If anyone can identify the problem I will try and fix it.

David
Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***This work is in the Canadian public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. It may still be under copyright in some countries. If you live outside Canada, check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work. To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.***

Though I don't know which moderator added this to my earlier post, I must thank him/her. Excellent advice. From my own POV, though, although I happen to be in Europe, my publishing house is registered in Canada and all our email addresses are Canadian-registered. We work by Canadian law and copyright. No infringement here. Cheers. Neil

Attached Images

neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
northernrunner

David, it was the Ebook TOC. If you click on one of the links it will take you to that essay, but after that, you can neither page forward or backward and the Kindle 2 freezes requiring a reset to unlock it. Thanks again for looking into it.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
billingd
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernrunner View Post
You could try one of the Mobi/PRC versions posted previously.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
northernrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by billingd View Post
Thank you - appreciate the help and guidance.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
twosevens
twosevens shines like a glazed doughnut.twosevens shines like a glazed doughnut.twosevens shines like a glazed doughnut.twosevens shines like a glazed doughnut.twosevens shines like a glazed doughnut.twosevens shines like a glazed doughnut.twosevens shines like a glazed doughnut.twosevens shines like a glazed doughnut.twosevens shines like a glazed doughnut.twosevens shines like a glazed doughnut.twosevens shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: blackberry
Love this - thank you so much.
twosevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
***This work is in the Canadian public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. It may still be under copyright in some countries. If you live outside Canada, check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work. To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.***

Though I don't know which moderator added this to my earlier post, I must thank him/her.
I think it gets added automatically, because of your attachment. It is assumed that attachments in this forum are books, and therefore a copyright(-free) notice is added.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
@Jellby.

I've grabbed this and a few other of your books - thank you very much.

Running marked:epub_unused_css_files (via Quality Check) shows up e.g.

Quote:
Fifty Orwell Essays / Orwell, George
Unused CSS file: OEBPS/page-template.xpgt
Quality Check says these files can be "safely removed." However I'd like to check; I saw what you said here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=744547

I read books on my phone with moonreader and the headings that you don't want shown are shown. It's no big deal for me and I'm sure if I had a decent ereader I'd be fine.

But can I really delete the "Unused CSS file": OEBPS/page-template.xpgt ?

Or have you put it there deliberately to sort those pesky visible 'invisible' headers?

Am I making sense?!

PS. While I'm at it, these show up too. I'm guessing that they are harmless and there as an option if I want to make use of them? ...

Quote:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer [illustrated] / Twain, Mark
Unused CSS file: OEBPS/css/pdf_output.css
Unused CSS file: OEBPS/css/nowrap.css
Unused CSS file: OEBPS/css/wrap.css
44reader is offline   Reply With Quote