Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #31
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
A stainless steel cover would definitely be pretty interesting. The whole disassembly and reassembly of the unit isn't that difficult as long as you are careful and even the keys came off and went back on, if positioned properly, although I am still waiting to get my camera back to add the pictures of the keys apart from the cover. That and I've been busy reading, so I haven't been willing to take my Pocket Pro apart again since I've been into the stories.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #32
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
My immediate reaction was that I didn't understand why someone would want to do this. Then I looked at the picture, and those copper circles are sweet!

I keep my PP in its case, though, so it wouldn't really work for me (and would clash with the leather case). I'm not sure how much folks would pay to bling up a PP, but I'm cheap. The US$200 price point seems to be pretty important.

I doubt I'd buy it, but I can see the attraction.
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #33
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Weight would be a big issue. Also, I remember from my Sony 505 that it felt cold in my hand and sucked the warmth from my fingers, and I am reluctant to buy another ebook reader in a metal case for this exact reason. I bought a silicone sleeve for the 505 only to counteract the cold feel.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM   #34
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Price and Weight important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Weight would be a big issue. Also, I remember from my Sony 505 that it felt cold in my hand and sucked the warmth from my fingers, and I am reluctant to buy another ebook reader in a metal case for this exact reason. I bought a silicone sleeve for the 505 only to counteract the cold feel.
Dear Ea and all:

I agree! The $200 price point is critical. Of course, we do pay extra now to have the painting done for the colors.

Yes, we need to keep it under 6 ounces.

I will talk to them and get some answers to all our concerns!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #35
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
Ooh... how would one get on the list to test one out? *lol* j/k So would the metal case be anything like the Sony pocket? When I tried both out in the stores, I really preferred the softer case of the Astak than that of the Sony. The Sony just seemed so hard and cold... Maybe it's just me, but I really like the softer feel of the Astak case.
I think this would be a good idea as well. Maybe an option, hardsize or soft (aka the luggage debate)

I talked a friend into a reader and she unfortunately got a Sony and I have to admit I was impressed with the feel, but it did feel cold. What struck me was she got it engraved with her name.

On the other hand though, I can't imagine a retro unit with the existing keys.
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #36
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I love the copper samples, and would prefer a metal body to a plastic one. I like my Sony; the Jetbook & Kindles I've handled have seemed fragile to me.

Metal body would be a nice push in the direction of buying an Astak reader. I want a Pocket Pro. Can't afford one; have a perfectly good PRS-505 that I use constantly. I'm sure that eventually I'll decide I need the smaller reader, or Astak will come up with the perfect enhancement that convinces me to switch.

(Cannot sell PRS-505 to get Pocket Pro; the Sony was a gift from my husband.)
I like jetBook and jetBook-Lite body more than Sony metal body...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #37
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
How about anodized aluminium?
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #38
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
Aluminum is soft.. Even when Anodized.

Looks great when new.
Looks like from wear scratches, because the base metal shines through.
That may be why a aggressive patterning is popular. It disguises the scratches.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #39
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
Anodizing aluminum doesn't add any strength to the metal. It's meant as a better hardened enameling against wear and corrosion.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:07 AM   #40
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
There's another option too.. "wood" cases.. bamboo would be a good candidate.. light, strong, renewable. It would be cheaper to manufacture than metal too, and would be more tactile I think. Would solve the "cold" issue too and scratches wouldn't really detract since it can always be sanded. It would not be that hard for an actual woodworker to make a custom case out of whatever wood they wanted since all it is, is a circuit board and a screen.

I'm not a woodworker, but I know how it could look. Could make for an interesting project for someone.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #41
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
For another take on this, you might look at the jetBook's use of colored bodies in order to see if that's a viable choice in using a different material for the body, but also retaining the color schemes.

JetBook uses plastic, but I have no information on how the color is applied.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #42
rleguillow
Always Reading
rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rleguillow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: FW 1192, PRS-700, kobo, Rocket, PRS-650, Nook Glow, Kobo Glo, others
I should note that having a metal body does not necessarily add to longevity. My metal PRS-700 is probably on its last legs - not because it is not working, but because the bezel on the side - part of the metal case - is coming off. I expect if it comes too far off the reader will die... something will short out, or something else awful like that.

A solid sturdy plastic design could be much better than a poorly designed metal case.
rleguillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #43
raiderkilo
Connoisseur
raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: PRS-350 "PRS+"
What about Carbon
raiderkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #44
asdx
Enthusiast
asdx began at the beginning.

Device: astak pocket pro
well i ve gone through d entire post above.
initially my personnel opinion was that it wont b a big deal.
but later after reading entire post i feel it would be a mistake. i m copy pasting below all point that helped shaped my viewpoint
=============================================
viewpoints
==================================================
#I think a SS case would go over great as long as it is not to heavy

#What I see as important is the markings are durable. Most of my buttons now show wear to the point of un-readability.

#Also, one strong point of the PP is it's light weight - don't compromise that.

#I appreciate the feedback on how the buttons can reach unreadability under very frequent use. I will have the factory work on that in any case.

#I think the engraving of the buttons would be a great solution.

#I really preferred the softer case of the Astak than that of the Sony. The Sony just seemed so hard and cold...

#I like the feel of the rubberized coating,

#One caution to consider, metal will bend and twist, thus twisting the screen. The solid plastic/acrylic cases now do not twist,

#The metal would probably always feel cold (hot) to the touch.
Metal also scratches, and the weight would definitely be a consideration.

#I would be concerned that too much pattern or design in the reader body (especially if parts were reflective) would be distractive while reading.

#You've said repeatedly that there is absolutely no "wearing" issue with the colours of your devices, since the colour is a part of the resin itself, not "painted" on. If this is the case, why do you need to change anything?
#I wouldn't get one. I just love the soft feel of my Mini.
It would need to be non-reflective steel so that night time reading with a light wouldn't blind ya with the refection. The copper ones seem to have a large amount light coming off the unit however the darker colors don't appear to have that issue. As far as patterns go it really a personal choice.

#plastics have a better impact resistance than stainless of the same weight. Plastics will break, but they will not bend, if the stainless bends you could easily put a lot of torsional pressure on the screen. Not a good idea imo.

#I'm cheap. The US$200 price point seems to be pretty important.I doubt I'd buy it,

#Weight would be a big issue. Also, I remember from my Sony 505 that it felt cold in my hand and sucked the warmth from my fingers, and I am reluctant to buy another ebook reader in a metal case for this exact reason. I bought a silicone sleeve for the 505 only to counteract the cold feel.

#A solid sturdy plastic design could be much better than a poorly designed metal case.

====================================
asdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rleguillow View Post
I should note that having a metal body does not necessarily add to longevity. My metal PRS-700 is probably on its last legs - not because it is not working, but because the bezel on the side - part of the metal case - is coming off. I expect if it comes too far off the reader will die... something will short out, or something else awful like that.
Actually, if it's the same as the other Sony devices, the side bezel is silver-coloured plastic, not metal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote