Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Exclamation database disk image is malformed

I guess I'm hosed? I don't know what happened; I haven't run Calibre 0.6 in a few days but I believe it exited just fine the last time I used it. Now when I try to run it it gives me this error:

ERROR: Bad database location
database disk image is malformed
RemoteTrackback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 119, in run
File "calibre\library\sqlite,pyo", line 85, in get
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

Attempts to reselect the same library gives the same error.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
One possible way to try to recover your database is to install the commad line sqlite tool and run it like this

sqlite3 metadata.db < .dump > dump.sql
del metadata.db
sqlite3 metadata.db < dump.sql

This will try to dump your database to SQL statements and recover recreate it from that
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The < won't work for Windows. I figured out how to use .dump to make dump.sql but I have no idea how to reimport dump.sql into a new metadata.db.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur

Oh, wait, maybe it is working. It didn't seem to work on the first command line because it was a command and not an actual filename. But now it's importing the dump.sql, or at least it's acting like it.

SQL error near line 1: near "SQLite": syntax error

But the rest seems to be going in.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur

C:\Program Files\calibre 0.6>sqlite3 metadata.db < dump.sql
SQL error near line 1: near "SQLite": syntax error
SQL error near line 28639: no such function: concat
SQL error near line 28683: cannot commit - no transaction is active
Incomplete SQL: sqlite>

Okay, now what?
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur

Well, I copied the metadata.db over and it it's not working; it says it's in use by another process??? Even after rebooting it says that.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It says the re-generated metadata.sql is in use by another process?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It says the re-generated metadata.sql is in use by another process?
After the above commands, yes. I can't explain it.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur

I believe my global.py somehow can confused. It says:

database_path = 'C:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner/library1.db'

Which does not exist. Why it's giving me an error that it's in use, though, I have no clue.

But the thing is, I get a pop-up to specify a new directory, and when I do that it *still* errors out. I'm going to restore the old metadata.db and change the settings file.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur

Okay, it's still saying the original is corrupted. But FYI, when I start Calibre, get that error, and get the pop-up to respecify the path, when I respecify to path to the 0.6 library, Calibre exits out and the

database_path = 'C:\\Documents and Settings\\Owner/library1.db'

is being re-written into the global.py.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur

Well I guess that setting is ignored since it's looking at the metadata.db in the library directory.

As to why the processed file from sqlite3 is saying it's in use, I have no idea.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur

At this point I'm all for giving up. I can give you the original corrupt metadata.db file if you think you can figure out what's wrong with it; otherwise I'm willing to start over from scratch with the new beta.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

database_path is an obsolete setting, the important one is library_path. I'm a little too busy at the moment to look at your corrupted db