Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #286
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
There are some serious LOLs in here.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:14 AM   #287
shazwagon
shazwagon is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony T-1
Quote:
You may also skip Amazon's conversion service and do it yourself with free software.
[LIST][*]MobiPocket Creator - Windows only (install as the Publisher's Edition, get MobiPocket Reader while you're at it to test your conversions)[*]Stanza - Windows and Mac[*]Calibre - Windows, Mac and Linux (a big plus is the creator Kovid is a MobileRead member and regular poster)
That one I didn't know about. Thanks!
shazwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 04:26 AM   #288
shazwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
As I said above, people do get around the restriction. There are people who buy Kindles off ebay and Amazon books with gift cards. A quick look around this forum will tell you that.
That is the lamest answer ever to serious allegations. By saying this you mean that Amazon is actively encouraging people to lie and cheat. The 1-6 are clearly the truth. Thanks for helping me take my decision!
Old 06-10-2009, 04:27 AM   #289
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Myth: You have to buy content only from Amazon

Truth: Only if it has DRM. You can purchase/view DRM free content. But if the content has DRM, it has to come from Amazon.
I THOUGHT this was the case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Do the following qualify in today's times?

Myth: Amazon is your best friend and loves you.

Truth: Amazon could care less about you except how much money and private information it can suck out of you.

Can you hear that whooosh of your life force being sucked out of you by Amazon?

HA! you got that right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
There are some serious LOLs in here.
TELL ME ABOUT IT! There have been some very interesting posts in here. I just wandered on in as this thread came up in a list of results when I was searching for something else.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #290
disney_mommy
Ebook fanatic
disney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kindle Keyboard
Thanks, daffy4u. Excellent site with information, and corrections to all of the misinformation, out there about the K2.
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #291
nollagkind
nollagkind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Here's a new one, I think

Posted recently on an Irish forum by one of the forum mods.

"going through security in Atlanta, my sony e-reader was flagged by a TSA guy who then proceeded to bitch about how his Kindle removed books after 90 days. Is that true?"
nollagkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #292
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Myth: Jeff Bezos invented or inspired the idea for a mobile eReader, namely the Kindle.

Truth: Steve Jobs was the inventor or the first eReader, which he named the iPod. Then, as his eyesight grew worse, he invented the iPad, iPoh's bigger brother. Like Stalin before him, Jobs will eradicate the history books of any references to Kindle, Flash, Windows, etc. From a sneak preview of the forthcoming tome, "The World According to Jobs".
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #293
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Myth: Jeff Bezos invented or inspired the idea for a mobile eReader, namely the Kindle.

Truth: Steve Jobs was the inventor or the first eReader, which he named the iPod. Then, as his eyesight grew worse, he invented the iPad, iPoh's bigger brother. Like Stalin before him, Jobs will eradicate the history books of any references to Kindle, Flash, Windows, etc. From a sneak preview of the forthcoming tome, "The World According to Jobs".
Please don't post such nonsense.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #294
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:

Thanks for the good laugh!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #295
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:

The best form of misinformation is when you have a few kernels of truth mixed in you story.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #296
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please don't post such nonsense.
I think (I hope) this post requires the activation of the humor button
Attached Images

kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #297
iPhoneMonster
iPhoneMonster began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hmm.... this is actually an interesting thread... Really useful, I wish this was still around when I was ordering my iPad 3G.. (I still would've ordered this the iPad though)
iPhoneMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #298
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nollagkind View Post
Posted recently on an Irish forum by one of the forum mods.

"going through security in Atlanta, my sony e-reader was flagged by a TSA guy who then proceeded to bitch about how his Kindle removed books after 90 days. Is that true?"
In answer: No. The Kindle does not delete books. There is a deletion of some periodicals, but you can flag them to not be deleted if you want.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:28 AM   #299
shazwagon

Now that we have the International DX available, can someone, please, clarify the status of the "true" myths?

As in, is it true that I have to pay Kindle some amount to put my own books on the device? (I know I can use Calibre to convert to Kindle friendly formats but for some reason I have this idea that Amazon is staring down at you like big brother!)

This remains the only (major) concern on my way to buying the latest Kindle DX.

Nice thread!
Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #300
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazwagon View Post
As in, is it true that I have to pay Kindle some amount to put my own books on the device?
Good Heavens no! Whatever makes you think that? You can copy files to the Kindle via the USB connection, just like you can with any other reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, ipod, kindle, kindle myths