Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

iPad Air and iPad Mini with Retina announced

Apple announced the iPad Air and iPad Mini with Retina.

iPad Air with Retina and A7 64-bit CPU starts at $499.

iPad Mini with Retina and A7 64-bit CPU starts at $399.

Mavericks is FREE!!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
$70 price hike on the mini
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
$70 price hike on the mini
I was afraid they would do that because of the Retina. On the other hand, it looks like the overall specs are really the same as the iPad Air, rather than being stripped down like years model.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A 90 minute event and they only spent 15 minutes on the iPad.

Also, the iPod touch didn't get a refresh this year. Looks like a two-year cycle. There was a two-year gap between the iPt4 and the iPt5.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Now I've got to decide whether it's time to upgrade my iPad 2...and if so, will it be with a new iPad Air or a mini? Up until recently I always thought I'd get a mini if they produced one with a retina display...but now I'm not so sure--decisions, decisions!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
A 90 minute event and they only spent 15 minutes on the iPad.

Also, the iPod touch didn't get a refresh this year. Looks like a two-year cycle. There was a two-year gap between the iPt4 and the iPt5.
They need to either put a decent battery in the Touch or just drop it from the line up, IMO. None of them have ever had a decent battery.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-22-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
...--decisions, decisions!
Get a Nexus 7.2 - problem solved
Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Now I've got to decide whether it's time to upgrade my iPad 2...and if so, will it be with a new iPad Air or a mini? Up until recently I always thought I'd get a mini if they produced one with a retina display...but now I'm not so sure--decisions, decisions!
I initially thought of upgrading to the Air because they tend to lessen the specs on the Mini, but looking at their website it looks like the Mini specs are the same as the Air. If that is so, then the Mini would be a better deal for me. Sounds like the Mini won't be available until well into November, and rumors have been saying it will be in very short supply until next year. The Air goes on sale November 1.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Get a Nexus 7.2 - problem solved
If you want a crap OS with even crappier apps!
Old 10-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
They need to either put a decent batter in the Touch or just drop it from the line up, IMO. None of them have ever had a decent battery.
Priced low enough, the iPod touch is a great streaming audio device.

Besides the battery issue, its specs are several generations behind the iPhone.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Priced low enough, the iPod touch is a great streaming audio device.

Besides the battery issue, its specs are several generations behind the iPhone.
I owned the gen 1, 2, and 4. I couldn't expect more than 3 to 4 hours of reading time on them, and more than 2 to 3 hours of video. I never streamed music, I'm guessing that would last longer as the screen would be turned off.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I owned the gen 1, 2, and 4. I couldn't expect more than 3 to 4 hours of reading time on them, and more than 2 to 3 hours of video. I never streamed music, I'm guessing that would last longer as the screen would be turned off.
I've never read on my 4, because it's LCD and the screen is too small. As to the battery, I've never had a problem; my touch sits in a speaker dock when in use. I also don't run around with it. The poor specs and lack of features make it a waste of pocket space.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

Quoting myself:

The price increase on the iPad mini is horrible. How do they expect to compete with Nexus 7 if it's $229 versus $399?

I predict Nexus 7 will steamroll over the new iPad mini in terms of market share.

Continuing to sell the original iPad 2 at $399 is pretty weird, too.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the original mini I think I will hang onto, I hate to say it I love the mini, but the prices are getting nuts, especially when you stack it up against the screens on the nexus 7 and HDX.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
It's Apple. What did you expect? They're not going to sacrifice profit margin that's for sure. Granted, I expected the retina iPad Mini to be around $379 rather than $399. While I don't mind the price hike, I think I'll skip it again this year. For me, one of the main draws of the iPad Mini is the 312 g weight. With the retina version jumping to 341 g, I'd rather get the 290 g Nexus 7 (2013).

Still in 2 minds about the iPad Air. I need a 128GB Verizon iPad and that's $929 for Air and $729 for iPad 4.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote