Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #4171
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

I really need to learn not to check this thread just as I am taking a drink.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #4172
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
I really need to learn not to check this thread just as I am taking a drink.
I think you are doing just fine. Did you get it all wiped off the screen?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #4173
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Really? Harry would have burned it black and the house he was in ....
Old 07-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #4174
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I think you are doing just fine. Did you get it all wiped off the screen?
It was close but the monitor has been saved.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #4175
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Does this seem familiar?

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #4176
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Jim Butcher tweets...

Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #4177
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:

Holy crap! Thank you thank you thank you for posting this!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #4178
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Holy crap! Thank you thank you thank you for posting this!

Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #4179
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:

Ha. As if he "just found out" about a new Dresden Files book.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #4180
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Dueling...The Match of the Millennium

Last edited by alansplace; 07-31-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #4181
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Considering that last week, the cheapest hardcover was nearly $100 and used, I'm guessing this means the Storm Front reissue is live:

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Front-Dr...dp/0451461975/

$21.97, new hardcover, ships Prime in 6-9 days
Old 07-31-2014, 01:53 PM   #4182
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Considering that last week, the cheapest hardcover was nearly $100 and used, I'm guessing this means the Storm Front reissue is live:

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Front-Dr...dp/0451461975/

$21.97, new hardcover, ships Prime in 6-9 days
It is just slightly strange that there is so much demand for hardcover books. I understand to some extend first edition collectors.

There is probably different levels of crazy. I am on a lower level of crazy - happy enough with the Dresden Files as ebooks. Still going to preorder those ebooks when they get availlable for preorder. Maybe because I have not read a pbook in quite a while. Most of them are in storage. And I don't see a need to display them and then:
- Hey, have you read this book?
- Well, I have, but not that book, I read the ebook.

Weird. Almost as bad as some showing off books and pretend they ever read them at all in any format.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #4183
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
It is just slightly strange that there is so much demand for hardcover books. I understand to some extend first edition collectors.

There is probably different levels of crazy. I am on a lower level of crazy - happy enough with the Dresden Files as ebooks. Still going to preorder those ebooks when they get availlable for preorder. Maybe because I have not read a pbook in quite a while. Most of them are in storage. And I don't see a need to display them and then:

Weird. Almost as bad as some showing off books and pretend they ever read them at all in any format.
In my case, it's certainly not about showing them off, as I prefer to have as few visitors to my home as possible.

I don't think there's anything strange about wanting a tangible representation of something you value. For me, the hardcovers are no different than a physical piece of art that represents an idea - the books are a physical representation of the experience I've had reading them. And so I intend to collect all of the hardcovers. Having them re-issued means I won't have to win the lottery in order to afford them.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #4184
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Hardcovers

Quote:

That's not it at all. I have all the Harry Potter books and all the Harry Dresden books in hardback.

Why?

Because I feel that close to the content and want them as a conventional book because it makes me feel good to see them displayed on a book shelf even though I prefer to read them on an ereader.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #4185
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
For me, the hardcovers are no different than a physical piece of art that represents an idea - the books are a physical representation of the experience I've had reading them. And so I intend to collect all of the hardcovers. Having them re-issued means I won't have to win the lottery in order to afford them.
Have not thought about it that way. The (easier) affordability is for sure a good thing. Would a reissue as trade paperback work?

Quote:
That's not it at all. I have all the Harry Potter books and all the Harry Dresden books in hardback.

Why?

Because I feel that close to the content and want them as a conventional book because it makes me feel good to see them displayed on a book shelf even though I prefer to read them on an ereader.

Ok, now that sounds good enough to me. You are so way off the chart as to appear 'normal' again.

It is interesting that you mention Harry Potter. I started with it just when Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire came out. Read it, found it interesting, went out the next day and ordered the first three books in originals (UK, english). As the last three came out I got them as hardcover as well, also the UK version. Bummer that I had to wait so long to get them - I had my parents buy and import them through mail. Differences might be slight, but never understood why on earth the translation from UK to US was needed in the first place. Should read them again - maybe this time in the US version from Kindle Unlimited.

Wonder if there is going to be a boxed set, or even an omnibus edition, once Dresden Files is finished. Omnibus probably not, a big one volume dictionary would be smaller than that. Definitely not be able to hold it in your lap - my webster 3rd new international dictionary is too much to handle comfortably.

Stupid idea: get all of them in hardcover, put in a wheel barrel, and go to a book signing. Wonder if Jim would snark something about holding the line up ... or if the line is full of other wheel barrels.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy