Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
CommuteDude
CommuteDude began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
epub for learning SQL

Hi,

I have an eReader and, while that can display several formats, I think epub is the best and most practical to read for
it adapts to the screen size, I can set the font size and all. PDF is a very impractical format IMHO since it adapts so
that the entire page (DIN A4?) fits on the screen (DIN A5 approx.), so there's no end to scrolling and zooming, which does not look
good on an E_Ink screen.
Now, for my job I need to gain some knowledge of SQL, I am a complete newbie to that - well, i know some bits and pieces, but not much.
Can anybody advise me which would be a recommendable book to learn SQL, preferably in epub format?
Thanks a lot!
Best regards,

CommuteDude
CommuteDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Have a look at O'Reilly's website. Their books tend to be good, and most are available in multiple formats, including ePub.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Once you've learned SQL go to this site (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/595d/?srp=2) and order the T-Shirt
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Have a look at O'Reilly's website. Their books tend to be good, and most are available in multiple formats, including ePub.
and no DRM! And you can download the epub version for your ereader and the PDF for your computer. And they give you updates for free. And you can go back and redownload any ebook you bought anytime afterwards. And they have a lot of sales. They are very pro-customer, and that makes me a happy one.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #5
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
and no DRM! And you can download the epub version for your ereader and the PDF for your computer. And they give you updates for free. And you can go back and redownload any ebook you bought anytime afterwards. And they have a lot of sales. They are very pro-customer, and that makes me a happy one.
Yes, all that too O'Reilly are great for computing books, whether paper or ebook.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Try SQL Practical Guide for Developers by Michael J Donahoo and its available in epub and Kindle formats. I used this when I needed to learn SQL and its very good at covering the fundamentals of the language.

Another good option is the SAM's Teach Yourself SQL. Just make sure you get the current edition.

You didn't say which SQL database you would be using. This is very important as there are small but significant differences between the various platforms. If you stick to a generic SQL book then I would also recommend O'Reilly's SQL Pocket Guide which is a good quick reference guide but also shows the code for each platform i.e MS SQL, Oracle, MySQL etc. I found it really helpful when I first started coding in SQL as an aide memoire.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote