Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Font size changes on every chapter transition

Has anybody encountered an issue with the fonts suddenly becoming tiny every time you page forward to a new chapter?

I didn't see this on the 1.9.x firmware, but upgraded to 2.3.1 last week.

If I either exit the book, and return to it, or go to the TOC and select the chapter I just left, I get the correct font again - so this is not in the EPUB's CSS.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It is a 2.3.1 bug, seems to be fixed in firmware 2.3.2. Unfortunately 2.3.2 hasn't been officially distributed outside of Japan yet, so sideloading firmware might be the only way to get the bug fix.

If you sideload firmware 2.3.2 be very careful, there are two different types of Kobo Touch, one uses the Touch firmware and the other uses the Glo/Mini firmware. I don't know how to tell which is which, maybe someone else can help with that. (I have a Glo only).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It is a 2.3.1 bug, seems to be fixed in firmware 2.3.2. Unfortunately 2.3.2 hasn't been officially distributed outside of Japan yet, so sideloading firmware might be the only way to get the bug fix.

If you sideload firmware 2.3.2 be very careful, there are two different types of Kobo Touch, one uses the Touch firmware and the other uses the Glo/Mini firmware. I don't know how to tell which is which, maybe someone else can help with that. (I have a Glo only).
You use the Glo/Mini firmware for the Glo and Mini (obviously), but also for the newest Touches. I'm not exactly sure which are new and which are "old" Touches, but I suspect the new Touch is the one released at the same time as the Glo/Mini.

However, I do not know how to distinguish between new and 'old' Touch. Of course, if you bought a Touch after the release date of the new Touch, it doesn't mean you have the new Touch because the store might have had a stock of old ones... So, you'll only be safe with manually installing Touch firmware if you had your Touch long before the Glo/Mini/new Touch were released OR you know how to distinguish between new and old Touch.

Interesting btw, that 2.3.2 is a bug release but only available for Japan. I was wondering about why 2.3.2 wasn't pushed to me. It's completely beyond me why a bug release, which is obviously needed by everyone, is only available in Japan. Tsk. (I installed 2.3.2 manually yesterday, but I'm safe because I have a Glo and the very first oldest Touch.)
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
You use the Glo/Mini firmware for the Glo and Mini (obviously), but also for the newest Touches.
Thanks. Not an issue for me - I'm certain my Touch is not considered "newest".

As for why only Japan has the bug-fix: it seems pretty reasonable to me to roll them out in limited releases - especially if you're not going to do very exhaustive testing before the release! You might also choose to release to Japan first if there are specific bug-fixes for multi-byte character sets, or other regional issues.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Thanks. Not an issue for me - I'm certain my Touch is not considered "newest".

As for why only Japan has the bug-fix: it seems pretty reasonable to me to roll them out in limited releases - especially if you're not going to do very exhaustive testing before the release! You might also choose to release to Japan first if there are specific bug-fixes for multi-byte character sets, or other regional issues.
Of course, but the release was more than three weeks ago... that's a long time to not be anywhere else yet.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Its safe to say that the release has been delayed elsewhere due to bugs, and the holiday season.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
...deleted...

Last edited by Danger; 01-13-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: too much negativity
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Whatever
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
auspex
Groupie

Quote:
Of course, but the release was more than three weeks ago... that's a long time to not be anywhere else yet.
Sure, but I believe the originally buggy release was 6 months or so ago, and that's a darned long time to go without a fix for something that could have been spotted by anybody just paging through an epub!

I agree with Peter that it quite likely means they found other bugs, but the holiday season is not so much an excuse as another cause for concern - who releases new software at a time when their developers are all taking vacation time?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
I had this and was going to go back to 2.1.5 but after the factory reset and registration it went straight back to 2.3.1, but now new chapters are keeping the correct font size.

Strange.
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
John_T
John_T began at the beginning.

Device: Nook classic
For what it's worth, this bug also effects the Kobo Glo. Confirmed on two devices, my wife's, and my mothers.

Version:
2.3.1 (r45611, 12/7/12)

For books with a lot of small chapters, this is rather annoying. I hope the new version is released soon.
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #12
Hekse-Mie
Boekenwurm
Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hekse-Mie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 623, 903 & 603, 360+, Sony 600, Irex Iliad
I have this problem too, but it doesn't seem to affect all books. It occured in the previous book I was reading, and only when I changed chapter after sleepmode. The book I am reading now hasn't had this problem so far.
Hekse-Mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
spud357c
Enthusiast
spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.spud357c understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Glo and Nook Color
I agree the problem appears to be book specific.
I have read several books without the problem but all of a sudden it started with a new book I have just started.
spud357c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_T View Post
For what it's worth, this bug also effects the Kobo Glo. Confirmed on two devices, my wife's, and my mothers.

Version:
2.3.1 (r45611, 12/7/12)

For books with a lot of small chapters, this is rather annoying. I hope the new version is released soon.
You can fix the problem on a Glo relatively easily by manually installing the newer firmware 2.3.2. See this thread for the link to the firmware and instructions.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-29-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
auspex
Groupie

Quote:
You can fix the problem on a Glo relatively easily by manually installing the newer firmware 2.3.1.
2.3.2 - he's already using 2.3.1

Interestingly, I just realized that I mentioned below that 2.3.1 was apparently 6 months old, and nobody called me on it. Who at Kobo thought that labeling the release (r45611, 12/7/12) was intelligent? I could have sworn we beat that out of even American programmers 30 years ago. At least 2.3.2 is labeled "20 Dec 2012".